Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Willis could be like a taller version of Kyle Juszczyk.  Legit weapon as a lead blocker and tone setter in the hole, with enough pass game utility to stay on the field any down and distance because chances are he's going to get weak LBer coverages and just run wheels and seams.

I really am blown away by how good his cut offs and pulls are.  He absolutely flies on those blocks, and is nice and physical on the finishes.  His accuracy at that speed is so great.

I like what having a player like him does for the identity of your offense.  It makes them seem so much tougher when their 11th or 12th guy is just a crazy man bruiser who will punch your linebackers and safeties in the mouth.

Man crush engaged for me too.  I really want us to draft this guy with one of our late picks, perhaps even if we pick Mayer at 16.  Also worth considering the value he could bring to special teams.

ES consensus late round gems = Ivan Pace and Brayden Willis.  We gotta get these guys.

Pleasantly surprised by the play of the Oklahoma offensive prospects this year.  I think Gabriel kind of sucks, but their run game dudes and tackles were nice.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Willis could be like a taller version of Kyle Juszczyk.  Legit weapon as a lead blocker and tone setter in the hole, with enough pass game utility to stay on the field any down and distance because chances are he's going to get weak LBer coverages and just run wheels and seams.

I really am blown away by how good his cut offs and pulls are.  He absolutely flies on those blocks, and is nice and physical on the finishes.  His accuracy at that speed is so great.

I like what having a player like him does for the identity of your offense.  It makes them seem so much tougher when their 11th or 12th guy is just a crazy man bruiser who will punch your linebackers and safeties in the mouth.

Man crush engaged for me too.  I really want us to draft this guy with one of our late picks, perhaps even if we pick Mayer at 16.  Also worth considering the value he could bring to special teams.

ES consensus late round gems = Ivan Pace and Brayden Willis.  We gotta get these guys.

Pleasantly surprised by the play of the Oklahoma offensive prospects this year.  I think Gabriel kind of sucks, but their run game dudes and tackles were nice.

EB did have a fullback on his offense.  I wonder if he's on our radar.  

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@KDawg, why ya got Herbig at DE, but Sanders at LBer? They're pretty similar, but Sanders has the one year offball. Pretty sure Herbig is way too small for the DE group.

Because Herbig is more of a 3-4 OLB and Sanders can develop as an ILB better. Neither fit neatly. 

• Like 2

If they don't go O line in the first my best guess is whomever drops among Brian Branch or Gonzalez or Witherspoon if any.

As for Porter, I like him.  But I've been on the bandwagon for awhile that his lack of ball skills and to a lesser extent wonder about him playing in the zone scheme -- whether they got that route.

He's a totally different version of a nickle-safety versus Hamilton.  But IMO a really high floor player like Hamilton.  And Hamilton killed it his rookie season.

Like I've said if Curl walks eventually, Branch can fill the big nickel spot, too.  He's not big but he plays big.

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 8.59.52 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they don't go O line in the first my best is whomever drops among Brian Branch or Gonzalez or Witherspoon if any.

As for Porter, I like him.  But I've been on the bandwagon for awhile that his lack of ball skills and to a lesser extent wonder about him playing in the zone scheme -- whether they got that route.

Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 8.59.52 AM.png

After the impact that Hamilton had last year and the way our defense bogs down without Curl, Branch at 16 makes a lot of sense.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ultravin said:

Jalen Carter.  would you draft him?  very very tempting if he falls to us at 16!

I dont know how you can in the first round now. Its not just the race thing. There are other red flags there. Including health.

I am really looking forward to watching LB's today. Get a chance to see Campbell run and do agility stuff. Need to see that. Also wont be surprised if Ivan Pace blows up the combine. Just going off his tape he is going to be pretty incredible in shorts and a t shirt. 

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

After the impact that Hamilton had last year and the way our defense bogs down without Curl, Branch at 16 makes a lot of sense.

We are already so young at S and the coaches love both of those guys so much I will be shocked if they draft Branch at 16.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont know how you can in the first round now. Its not just the race thing. There are other red flags there. Including health.

I am really looking forward to watching LB's today. Get a chance to see Campbell run and do agility stuff. Need to see that. Also wont be surprised if Ivan Pace blows up the combine. Just going off his tape he is going to be pretty incredible in shorts and a t shirt. 

We are already so young at S and the coaches love both of those guys so much I will be shocked if they draft Branch at 16.

Butler looked lost and DeFo outside of a few good games, wasn't great. Especially without Curl on the field. We also use 3 safeties pretty often. Or at least when we can and now that McCain is gone, I can definitely see a CB/DB/S type being a target.

Also, as far as any just pure DB in this draft, he's the best.

10 minutes ago, ultravin said:

Jalen Carter.  would you draft him?  very very tempting if he falls to us at 16!

No. Not worth the headache for me.  I'd be looking at Bresee, Kobie Turner, Dexter, and Byron Young. I also think MAYBE  Dylan Hornton, Mike Morris, Tyler Lacey and Colby Wooden could be strong enough to play that role well too. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Butler looked lost and DeFo outside of a few good games, wasn't great. Especially without Curl on the field. We also use 3 safeties pretty often. Or at least when we can and now that McCain is gone, I can definitely see a CB/DB/S type being a target.

Also, as far as any just pure DB in this draft, he's the best.

I agree about corner. It fits a need. And we have a chance to get one of the top 2 or 3 in the draft at 16. I think it has to be Corner or T at 16 for us. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

No. Not worth the headache for me.  I'd be looking at Bresee, Kobie Turner, Dexter, and Byron Young. I also think MAYBE  Dylan Hornton, Mike Morris, Tyler Lacey and Colby Wooden could be strong enough to play that role well too. 

Watched a combine interview of Breses and was very impressed. Came across very well, should interview well.

• Like 1

Jalen Carter is going to be one of those guys that falls to the late teens, becomes an absolute force and everybody says, damn I guess we over thought that one.

I totally understand not wanting to take him top 5 because of the potential baggage but 15 or later you have to take him over anybody else at his position the risk reward is way higher with him than anyone else.

That said now that we tagged Payne I just can't see us taking him even if he falls we have too much talent there already. 

If we trade Payne and he's available I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Torrence being one of the early meetings at the combine after meeting with him recently at the Senior Bowl -- obviously he's on their radar screen.

He's IMO a good guard, like him, don't love him, got roughed up a little in pass protect against Georgia but then settled down.  but overall he's a well rounded player. 

Between them poking on him and one who was at the Senior Bowl saying Avila, I gather they are looking for big boys on the interior versus smaller-quicker dudes.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

One of my favorite players in that 3rd-4th round range

Playing in his final season, Smith has turned into a leader and one of the best defenders on the nation’s best defense. When asked about his veteran safety, head coach Kirby Smart had nothing but praise for the seasoned veteran.

“His toughness and leadership stands out”, Smart told reporters. “He was always a competitor, a great kid, comes from a great family, great high school background, played corner, played everything we asked. If anything, he’s grown as a leader. He’s probably had some anger management moments where he’s gotten really upset out on the field and he’s matured so much. I can still remember him trying to fight guys at practice because I made him run one day for other guys’ academic problems and he was ready to kill somebody. He’s just gotten so much more mature since being here and he’s such a great leader. So, thankful that he’s come back.”  

That’s classic Christopher Smith. The guy means business. He’s never been one to have a relaxed attitude about football. He’s someone who works hard, learns from his mistakes, and does his best to get better and better every time he hits the field. You can see it in his play, and his play has been excellent over the last two seasons.

https://dawgpost.com/s/4923/senior-db-christopher-smith-leaving-his-mark-in-georgia-bulldog-history

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I haven't been following this thread yet this year, I usually wait until a few months before the draft so I apologize if it's been brought up multiple times but would anybody besides me like to see them take bijan Robinson at 16 if he's there?

I know we need to fix the o line but that can be done some in free agency and some in the later rounds.

Gibson could be our new mckisick plus he's a free agent after this year.

Brian Robinson is a solid back and I definitely like him but he's not special, he's a power guy with decent vision and he certainly plays with a ton of effort but I don't see him ever being discussed among the best in the league. 

Bijan is special, his vision and footwork are elite, he's as smooth as glass in and out of his breaks and he's going to make a lot of defenders miss in his career.

Would that be too much of a log jam at one position?

I think we're stacked at wide receiver but not as well off at running back as many think we are and adding an elite talent like bijan would make us so.

I can dream anyway.

Tyree Wilson has the most to gain tonight at the combine. Guy is going to likely have an 86" wing span.

He could wind up being the best pass rush candidate in this draft. Really interested to see how it plays out for him. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JP Finlay is at the combine, he asked a scout if he thought Gonzlaez makes it to 16, the scout's answer "no way" and he think he ends up CB 1 after the combine

Because traits are so important I wouldn’t argue this. He might be the first CB off the board and he’s borderline that regardless of traits.

I think Jahmyr Gibbs may be the fastest guy at this combine but I think it’s between him and Gonzo. There is a a Florida A&M receiver, I’m not sure if he’s there… but ya.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because traits are so important I wouldn’t argue this. He might be the first CB off the board and he’s borderline that regardless of traits.

I think Jahmyr Gibbs may be the fastest guy at this combine but I think it’s between him and Gonzo. There is a a Florida A&M receiver, I’m not sure if he’s there… but ya.

Yep the narrative about Gonzalez been an athletic freak has been out there for months, I guess its now time for him to show it.

He's been my #2 corner for a long time. I'd still prefer Witherspoon though.