Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

13 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

They won 90+ in 2012, had a winning record in 2013 and just missed the playoffs, won the division in 2014, 500 in 15 and were a playoff team in 16. 

That was half a decade without a losing record and (I think?) the most wins in the AL during that span. 

The crazy thing is - this is just the beginning. They weren’t supposed to have a winning record last year and they did. They aren’t supposed to be this good this year, but (so far) they are.

I’m just going to enjoy it while it happens and not stress about roster changes. 

Agreed...I'm glad they are doing this, but I wasn't expecting last year and expected (kind of still do) a little slide back this year. As for the Buck 6-year oasis, that was pretty special to someone my age. I just missed the 70s/80s teams, so before that I only really had those 2 years in the 90s. 1996 was fluky, but they were dominant in 1997. I feel like 1996 was very similar to 2012 in that it was extremely HR-driven while 1997 was much more legit like 2014 in that they could have won it all. 

I'm very excited for what's to come!

• Like 1

It's funny I grew up romanticizing the 1989 team-- I literally came home from school on opening day that year, and Channel 20 was showing the Orioles instead of the Jetsons.  I watched, and I kept watching after that.  In hindsight, that team, was a solid above-.500 team, but they were so awesome in my memory.  About halfway through the 2014 season, I realized that the 2014 is still the most magical team in my fanhood, which is weird when you're 33.  This team might go beyond.

1997 was still the best team overall, but we knew they'd be good all along- there were no surprises with that team, except that they clammed up in September and couldn't get to 100 wins.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Agreed...I'm glad they are doing this, but I wasn't expecting last year and expected (kind of still do) a little slide back this year. As for the Buck 6-year oasis, that was pretty special to someone my age. I just missed the 70s/80s teams, so before that I only really had those 2 years in the 90s. 1996 was fluky, but they were dominant in 1997. I feel like 1996 was very similar to 2012 in that it was extremely HR-driven while 1997 was much more legit like 2014 in that they could have won it all. 

I'm very excited for what's to come!

You're forgetting 1989 ... that team would have made the postseason using today's rules.  Final series against the Jays was essentially a playoff series, having to take 2 out of 3, but lost the first two. Dang Mark Williamson ...  

Same goes for a few of those early 90s teams, borderline playoff teams who would have made it with the new rules.

Baseball is like hockey in that regular season only really matters for making the playoffs.  Then its about this nebulous "playoff magic".  You don't need to be "dominant", there's really not much difference between a .600 team and .550 team.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

You're forgetting 1989 ... that team would have made the postseason using today's rules.  Final series against the Jays was essentially a playoff series, having to take 2 out of 3, but lost the first two. Dang Mark Williamson ... 

I'm talking playoffs...1989 was my first taste but it broke my heart! I have hated Toronto more than Boston or New York since...add the Camden All-Star Game show up of Mussina and the Josh Donaldson feud with Manny, and I can't stand the Blow Jays. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, balki1867 said:

About halfway through the 2014 season, I realized that the 2014 is still the most magical team in my fanhood, which is weird when you're 33.  This team might go beyond.

And that 2014 team was barely over 500 at this point in the season! 

• Like 1

Gunner hit the longest Eutaw Street bomb ever today. 462 feet! 

Definitely the exclamation point in a KC sweep!

It’s also great to win a game without Rutschman, Cano, and Bautista. And Akin took the ball in the 7th and brought it home. Love too see it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

putting some dough down on baltimore to win tonight against Toronno

BALTIMORE ORIOLES
+105
MLB Money Line
Toronto Blue Jays at Baltimore Orioles
Jun 13 | 7:05pm

Odds:+105
Cash Wager:$0.10
Pays:$0.21

Congrats.

Gunnar Henderson has really turned a corner.  3/5 with a grand slam tonight.  I guess patience paid off.  Since June 1st has been 11/25 (.458) with an OPS of 1.480

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kicking the ever living **** out of Toronto last night was great.

Their starter was ready to quit in that 3rd inning, which only ended on a bad strike call (as did the end of the game. Ump was bad).  

But that’s now 4-0 against the Jays this year.  Toronto has not been good in the division. It’s possible that they’ll have some kind of gut check turnaround but hopefully we can smack them around for a couple more before that. 

20 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Their starter was ready to quit in that 3rd inning, which only ended on a bad strike call (as did the end of the game. Ump was bad).  

But that’s now 4-0 against the Jays this year.  Toronto has not been good in the division. It’s possible that they’ll have some kind of gut check turnaround but hopefully we can smack them around for a couple more before that. 

After so many years of the Blue Jays pounding the O's, it would be nice to have a season where we drop a few elbows on them. I like the start, but there are plenty of games left. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

After so many years of the Blue Jays pounding the O's, it would be nice to have a season where we drop a few elbows on them. I like the start, but there are plenty of games left. 

Yea, 24 - 43 against the Jays in the “rebuilding” years (2019-2022) was not great. 

They started their rebuild before us and right now is supposed to be their time to win the division, and be in that championship window.

But they’re 10 games out of first and have a bottom 10 farm system. 

They may be in purgatory. 

I put money on the Orioles today man I thought they'd rock the Cubs

they were playing so well too last weekend, wtf happened.

Went into this series red hot and then disappeared. Get back on track, I need to start making money off yinz again!

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I put money on the Orioles today man I thought they'd rock the Cubs

they were playing so well too last weekend, wtf happened.

14 LOB.

CB Bucknor helped kill one inning with a few terrible strike calls. He also called a 3-2 count , 2-2 and the next pitch was ball 4 and they needed a review to check.

O’Hearn hit an absolute nuke that died on the track. Pitcher turned around in disgust, threw his glove. 

Just not their day.