Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Unsafe drivers made up larger share of motorists during pandemic, study says

China

2 hours ago, China said:

So, I just got home.  On the way, I saw a number of people without their headlights on, despite the fact that the sun was setting, plus the fact that it was dark because it was overcast and raining.  One of them, when I pulled up along side him, I noticed his driver's window was down.  So I rolled down my passenger window and yelled at him to turn his lights on.  Startled (partly because he was looking at his phone), he yelled back "Hey!" but didn't turn his lights on.  We moved on, but I got beside him a couple more times trying to tell him to turn his lights on.  He just looked an me and smiled in a sort of bemused and confused way.  I don't think he understood the message I was trying to convey.  God save us from the morons on the road.

Be safe, man. A lot of people are being shot out here in these situations. I just don't even bother anymore, and wait to get by

On the way back from class tonight, l noticed the  Beltway was littered with drivers without their lights on, in a literal rainstorm. Dark cars, at that. Just unbelievable.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think daytime running lights are the reason a lot of people drive without their lights on before sunrise/sundown. People just think they have their headlights on or something.

Car manufacturers should stop making it a manual option.  All headlights should be automatic.  There's no reason for them not to be.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, China said:

Car manufacturers should stop making it a manual option.  All headlights should be automatic.  There's no reason for them not to be.

Agreed. Even when I started driving in '06, my dad always told me to be sure that I turned them on at all times. I always check both front and rear.

• 4 weeks later...

Today's story comes from Falls Church, VA.  As I was driving along Rte 29, a car ahead of me wanted to make a right hand turn but had apparently overshot their turn by about 25 feet.  Rather than continue on and make a turn at the next street, they decided it would be better to come to a full stop and reverse down Rte 29 to make their turn.  🤦‍♂️ Imbecile.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:44 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I think daytime running lights are the reason a lot of people drive without their lights on before sunrise/sundown. People just think they have their headlights on or something.

I think that's part of it.  But I'll also say the proliferation of electronic dashboards.  

Used to be, near dawn/dusk, you couldn't see your speedometer unless you turned on your headlights.  (As I'm sure all of us discovered.)  

But on my car, the dashboard is backlit whenever the key is on.  

23 minutes ago, China said:

Today's story comes from Falls Church, VA.  As I was driving along Rte 29, a car ahead of me wanted to make a right hand turn but had apparently overshot their turn by about 25 feet.  Rather than continue on and make a turn at the next street, they decided it would be better to come to a full stop and reverse down Rte 29 to make their turn.  🤦‍♂️ Imbecile.

My husband taught me to "live on the right hand side of the road".  It's kind of easy where I live, I know where everything is and can navigate my area really well.

I don't make left turns where it's sketchy...make a right and go around if you have to.  

They're moving the local CFA from on a corner to down the block where it's going to be even harder to take a left, which is stupid anyway.  Georgia engineering is retarded on a level yet to be seen.  We have entrance lanes onto a highway merging into the fast lane, for God's sake.  🙄

I'll go around a block a hundred times to avoid having to parallel park.  *My mom is the ace at that, but I can't do it, so I don't even try.*

• 4 weeks later...

So I step out my front door and notice that there is a car parked blocking my driveway.  I look and nobody is in the car or anywhere around.  I assume they probably went to the taco joint down the street.  Regardless, I'm pissed so I shake the car to see if I can get the alarm system to go off.  No luck.  So I call the police on them.  Of course they get back before the cops show up.  I give them a piece of my mind.  The meekly said they were sorry, but didn't offer anything else, as they were fully aware they had no excuse.  Especially since, as I pointed out to them, there were several open parking spaces nearby they could have used without blocking my driveway.  Moron.

• 4 months later...

Just think, people driving cars like these are all around you on the road:

On a related note, I recently drove my deceased father's car back from Florida to give to my nephew.  The transmission made a couple of weird noises, so I had him get it checked when he was getting it inspected.  Turned out that whoever had fixed the transmission not that long ago had installed some parts backwards which caused all kinds of adverse wear, including on the axles.  Apparently I was lucky I made it back without it breaking down and stranding me on the side of the road.  Unfortunately, I have no idea who did the crappy repair job, so I can't go back to them to make it right.

Edited by China

• 1 month later...

Thousands of New York driver's licenses suspended over lack of vision tests: How to check your status

The New York state Department of Motor Vehicles says thousands of driver's licenses are suspended for failing to submit a vision test.

Between March 1, 2020, and Aug. 31, 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the state DMV allowed drivers to self-certify their vision to renew their license, as long as they agreed to submit a vision test within a year.

The deadline to complete a vision test at a DMV office expired at the end of November 2023, resulting in over 45,000 licenses being suspended in December.

As of April 5, nearly 36,000 licenses remain suspended.

Click on the link for the full article