Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Deshazor Everett involved in fatal Car Accident. Everett sustains serious but not life threatening injuries.

Voice_of_Reason

22 hours ago, mojo said:

I don’t know anything about a tweet.  If it was my daughter, whether they were arguing or he was just being an idiot wouldn’t matter much, I’d want him put away for a long time regardless.

I don’t think I would. To my knowledge Deshazor hasn’t been in trouble before. He’s not a Tyreek Hill, Greg Hardy, or Antonio Brown that make the world around them a more violent unpredictable place. Nobody is going to be better off because he’s separated from society unless there is an indirect downstream benefit like someone else learning from this situation and not making the same mistake. Does prison time make that more likely? I don’t know if there is evidence that prison sentences work as a deterrent to crime. 

I feel terrible for his girlfriend’s family and friends. But also for Deshazor’s family. People make mistakes. He drove too fast and he lost someone he loved, a career and possibly decades of free life. Who knows if/when his mom and dad will see him again. Deahazor has a son. That some potentially will grow up without a father. 

The whole thing is a tragedy. For everyone involved. 

If my son’s girlfriend killed my son by driving too fast, I would take no solace in her suffering or the suffering of her family. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don’t think I would. To my knowledge Deshazor hasn’t been in trouble before. He’s not a Tyreek Hill, Greg Hardy, or Antonio Brown that make the world around them a more violent unpredictable place. Nobody is going to be better off because he’s separated from society unless there is an indirect downstream benefit like someone else learning from this situation and not making the same mistake. Does prison time make that more likely? I don’t know if there is evidence that prison sentences work as a deterrent to crime. 

I feel terrible for his girlfriend’s family and friends. But also for Deshazor’s family. People make mistakes. He drove too fast and he lost someone he loved, a career and possibly decades of free life. Who knows if/when his mom and dad will see him again. Deahazor has a son. That some potentially will grow up without a father. 

The whole thing is a tragedy. For everyone involved. 

If my son’s girlfriend killed my son by driving too fast, I would take no solace in her suffering or the suffering of her family. 

You’re right in that it’s just a tragic situation. I knew someone whose beautiful young daughter was brain damaged due to her boyfriend driving recklessly on a motorcycle. I know initially they couldn’t forgive him but that was years ago. Maybe they’ve grown to forgive but I don’t know. I just pray I’m never in that situation. 

• Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Former NFL player Deshazor Everett receives reduced sentence after plea from victim's family

LEESBURG — Former Washington player Deshazor Everett was sentenced to three months of house arrest on Thursday for reckless driving in the crash that killed his longtime girlfriend, Olivia Peters, in December.

An emotional day of testimony and support included an appearance from Peters’ mother and aunt, who on behalf of the family requested a reduced sentence for Everett.

The Peters family “didn’t want this to destroy your life,” Judge Deborah Welsh told Everett as he was sentenced. “They are comfortable with leniency.”

In addition to the house arrest, Everett must pay a $2,500 fine, perform 100 hours of community service, record a PSA video, and will have his license suspended for six months.

Peters’ mother shared a teary embrace with Everett’s mother after the sentence was read, then distributed wristbands that read “Live like Liv” to Everett and his family.

The court also heard evidence and testimony that Everett was not driving more than 90 miles per hour in the moments before the crash, as was initially reported by Loudoun County police.

That data came from the “black box” inside Everett’s Nissan, which crashed on a cold December evening, leaving Everett critically wounded and Peters dead.

A reconstruction of the crash by Loudoun officials estimated Everett’s speed at 65-69 miles per hour on the road, which had a speed limit of 45 mph.

Everett was not found to have drugs or alcohol in his system.

Everett’s teammate, Benjamin St-Juste, was driving immediately behind Everett and estimated his speed at about 50 mph in the moments before the crash, while another witness, who had no relation to the players, said he was driving 50-55 and the players were going “about 5-10 miles per hour faster.”

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/former-nfl-player-deshazor-everett-receives-reduced-sentence-after-plea-from-victims-family/article_cd66f5e1-0c23-5212-997a-3af668d4ad3f.html

• Thanks 1