Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread- Perpetually Pissed Philly vs The Legend of … Wait… Who the hell is this guy?

TK
Message added by TK,

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 10.06.59 PM.png

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The passes he missed he threw the ball to literally no one. I have a hard time dumping on him due to circumstance, but let's not try to make Gilbert out to be a guy that could command the offense and pepper Philly with his arm talent. He was a sitting duck in the pocket and he doesn't know the playbook. Is that his fault? No. Is it reality? Yes. 

But you shouldn't judge him on just his misses. He made 21 completions and completed 2/3 of his passes. Clearly those passes went to someone. I'm not trying to say that he was an all pro but I (and many others watching the game) felt like he could have handled more than he was being given initially. You commented in the Heinicke thread on his second pass being near nobody but on the second drive he literally hit Humphres in the chest with a pass and Humphres drops it. No he wasn't perfect and some moments made me cringe including his lack of pocket presence and seemingly inability to run (other than one play where he got outside the pocket). But I thought he did a good job given the circumstance he was put in, and if we had put more on his shoulders I don't think he would have collapsed from the weight of it. 

I posted on Twitter that in 20 years, this will not be called the Gilbert game. It will be called the Covid game. Gilbert was nowhere near as bad as Sanches was 3 years ago. He wasn't great but if we were forced to go with him for the rest of the year I wouldn't think we were doomed to go 0-4. Luckily we're not though as I welcome Heinicke back. 

9 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

But you shouldn't judge him on just his misses. He made 21 completions and completed 2/3 of his passes. Clearly those passes went to someone. I'm not trying to say that he was an all pro but I (and many others watching the game) felt like he could have handled more than he was being given initially. You commented in the Heinicke thread on his second pass being near nobody but on the second drive he literally hit Humphres in the chest with a pass and Humphres drops it. No he wasn't perfect and some moments made me cringe including his lack of pocket presence and seemingly inability to run (other than one play where he got outside the pocket). But I thought he did a good job given the circumstance he was put in, and if we had put more on his shoulders I don't think he would have collapsed from the weight of it. 

I posted on Twitter that in 20 years, this will not be called the Gilbert game. It will be called the Covid game. Gilbert was nowhere near as bad as Sanches was 3 years ago. He wasn't great but if we were forced to go with him for the rest of the year I wouldn't think we were doomed to go 0-4. Luckily we're not though as I welcome Heinicke back. 

Yes you should. You should judge a QB on total performance. 

Drops happen, by the way. To every QB. That one pass that's dropped doesn't change my assessment. I don't look at one play and judge a guy. 

You can argue it all you want, but your desire for every QB off the street to succeed is a bias that is not only leaking through here, but it colors your entire take.

I don't know what point you're trying to make RE: Sanchez. I never claimed Sanchez was good. So if your point was that Gilbert > Sanchez... yes. But Sanchez was the worst QB to start a game for Washington in a long time. So the bar is fairly low there.

And if Gilbert started the rest of the year I would say we were going to finish without another win. 

• Thanks 1

After sleeping that embarrassment off, i've just realized something.

I remembered back in the days when I was married, and every once in awhile, after a night out on the town, we'd hit the bed to sleep off the upcoming hangover.

I would pull the sheets over her head and let a gnarly one out, i'm talking a paint-peeler, to the point where I once considered calling HASMAT.

This game last night made me realize how she felt...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4