Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

3 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

So IF and I mean it's a BIG IF.... But IF we win out plus Dallas beats Philly in week 18, then we're in?  Am I reading that correctly? 

That would get us close. We would then need the Saints to lose one, or the Niners to lose 2 (not both). If the Saints won 1 and the Niners won 1, then we would also need Minnesota to actually WIN one game because we want to avoid a three way tie with NOLA and Philly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

According to Andrew Siciliano, we can win on Sunday and still be eliminated based on other results. What would those other results be....?

Atlanta, SF, and NOLA all winning. Those teams going 3-0 would be an extremely unlikely result FYI. As a matter of fact a three-way Money Line bet on those teams would give you +1043 odds. Meaning you bet $100, you would win $1043. So if you think there is a good chance of this happening, get to your bookie now! 

Edited by kleese

On 12/27/2021 at 9:57 PM, kleese said:

we’d either need Atlanta OR Minnesota to actually win so we avoid a three-way tie with Saints and Eagles which is only multi-team tie-breaker we’d lose.

I don't think it's possible to have a 3-way tie when two of the three teams are from the same division. The division tiebreakers would eliminate one of them, leaving only a two-way tie (either WFT and Saints or Eagles and Saints, but not all three).

I'm really stuck in a tough place, because I don't think we're making the playoffs - too much has to happen.  

It's not beneficial for us to win another game.  

But I'd really like to beat Philly on Sunday.  Something about watching them get so hype to beat our battered and bruised scab squad last Tuesday, makes me long for their demise - even more than the usual Philly hate.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't think it's possible to have a 3-way tie when two of the three teams are from the same division. The division tiebreakers would eliminate one of them, leaving only a two-way tie (either WFT and Saints or Eagles and Saints, but not all three).

I could be wrong, but I think division tiebreakers only come into the picture of its only two teams (us and the eagles). If it’s 3 teams with the same record then it goes to conference record.

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I could be wrong, but I think division tiebreakers only come into the picture of its only two teams (us and the eagles). If it’s 3 teams with the same record then it goes to conference record.

I found this:

o Break A Tie For The Wild-Card Team

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

Three or More Clubs

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

According to the playoff machine if we go 8-9, the Eagles go 8-9, and the Saints go 8-9 and there are NO other 8-9 teams, then Saints are in. If you then add another 8-9 team to mix- any of them— we are in. 

The odds of the three-way only between us, Saints, and Eagles ONLY is pretty out there though— it would require NOLA losing to Panthers and beating Falcons (which I think is more likely to be reversed) AND it requires Minnesota losing to GB AND in week 18 vs Bears. 

15 minutes ago, kleese said:

According to the playoff machine if we go 8-9, the Eagles go 8-9, and the Saints go 8-9 and there are NO other 8-9 teams, then Saints are in. If you then add another 8-9 team to mix- any of them— we are in. 

The odds of the three-way only between us, Saints, and Eagles ONLY is pretty out there though— it would require NOLA losing to Panthers and beating Falcons (which I think is more likely to be reversed) AND it requires Minnesota losing to GB AND in week 18 vs Bears. 

I was saying it’s so out there that it’s impossible lol…if Philly, NO and WFT end up 8-9 (and no one else does), Philly gets bounced because we’d hold the division tiebreaker over them…we end up in a 2-way tie with the Saints and they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over us. 

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I was saying it’s so out there that it’s impossible lol…if Philly, NO and WFT end up 8-9 (and no one else does), Philly gets bounced because we’d hold the division tiebreaker over them…we end up in a 2-way tie with the Saints and they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over us. 

Yep, if we win 2, Eagles lose 2, Saints lose 1, and we do NOT make playoffs, that would be some insanely bad luck. 

• Like 1

I really do believe we will make the playoffs if we beat the Eagles Sunday...IF we do. If you look up ^^^^ or the past page it shows the scenarios of how we can get in. Which makes me believe we will beat the Giants next week with no QB for them and what's going on. We just have to see the outcomes this Sunday and that will determine the future. With me though, I always believe if you have a shot for the playoffs keep believing and don't give up that hope until you're eliminated. Look at the other games and there is a chance with these scenarios that it  can actually happen. We have to win first, but I never give up on my team and don't look for draft position until we're officially eliminated. It wasn't that long ago we were on a four game winning streak and then lost the Cowboys and then Covid hit us. Let's see how the team responds Sunday and go from there and hoping the teams we need to lose will happen. 

Edited by RedskinsVa7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

Most people think the Saints have no chance of losing one of their last two games.. They looked good on one side of the ball against a decimated Tampa squad but other than that they have looked like complete trash basically the entire second half of the season.

Sam Darnold will save our season, lol.

(I do think it’s extremely likely that NO wins 8 or less games because I made a futures bet that they’d win 9)

Bummer, got what we needed from Falcons so had we been able to score there at the end we would have been alive going into this afternoon/evening and guaranteed to be alive entering next week. 

So the thread dies with the season. I’m disappointed. Under no delusions we would have gone anywhere, but was hopeful to keep the internet up for another week and give it a shot in week 18. 

Well, I suppose it’s Jan and I still cared today so in the world of WFT fandom I guess that’s a good season. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, kleese said:

Bummer, got what we needed from Falcons so had we been able to score there at the end we would have been alive going into this afternoon/evening and guaranteed to be alive entering next week. 

So the thread dies with the season. I’m disappointed. Under no delusions we would have gone anywhere, but was hopeful to keep the internet up for another week and give it a shot in week 18. 

Well, I suppose it’s Jan and I still cared today so in the world of WFT fandom I guess that’s a good season. 

Thank you for all your efforts though. :cheers:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kleese said:

Yep. Huge bummer. 

Thank you for all you do though, keeping everyone updated on scenarios. Wish we could have this thread every season, but we’re Washington, soooo.....

• Like 1

Ed has been a stalwart on this board for sometime and his efforts are appreciated. But truthfully it is pathetic when, year in or year out, we're hanging onto scenarios for a habitual sub .500 team.

Give me a team that consistently has at least 10 wins heading into week 17 instead of this nonsense.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Ed has been a stalwart on this board for sometime and his efforts are appreciated. But truthfully it is pathetic when, year in or year out, we're hanging onto scenarios for a habitual sub .500 team.

Give me a team that consistently has at least 10 wins heading into week 17 instead of this nonsense.

Ah, to dream… 

This was a weird year. Not sure I can recall one quite like it in terms of how the season unfolded: 

—Split the first four and looked shaky doing it. 

—Four game losing streak without any really close games save for maybe Denver.

—Four game winning streak with some great wins; including two against good teams and none against terrible teams. 

—Four game losing streak 

We’ve had years with hot starts and flat finishes and almost all of our playoff seasons the past 25 years have been bad starts with hot finishes. We’ve also had our fair share of flat out bad years where we never flashed. Only 1999 over the past 25 years was kind of a “normal good” year with consistent play throughout. 

But we’ve never really had a year like this where we looked totally dead at the bye/mid season, then rallied, then died again. 

In their defense, I do think the Covid/injury situation towards the end of the year went beyond anything normal. It wasn’t just your expected NFL bumps and bruises. It really derailed them. Maybe it would have ended badly anyway, but that sort of took the fight out of their hands. I thought they played admirably today— but the list of missing guys wasn’t just long, it was WHO they were missing— our very best players/leaders on both sides of the ball. Frustrating.

Ultimately, I look at it like this; I’m 44 years old and in terms of my TRUE fandom (seasons I can remember) I am right around year 35 or 36. Obviously I love it. The results are so maddening and frustrating, but clearly, the chase of being good again or even just having big moments is worth it to me. I mean, I was nervous and pacing a bit at end of game today— even though I was well aware even a win was likely going to add up to much. But it would have been a thrilling moment and you could have lived the dream another week. That’s all worth it to me. And now we have to wait until September again. 

(one thing I’ve already done is taken a peak at our schedule of opponents for next year— never too early to start pondering schedule possibilities!) 

For the record, had we gotten the W today we would have gotten half of our rooting interests as well. The Falcons loss would have kept us alive regardless, with the Vikings also losing. Boy, the late games would have been pretty fun as both SF and NOLA struggled before pulling away late. 

So, had we won, we would have needed to win again Sunday vs Giants; Saints would have needed to lose to Falcons; Eagles would have needed to lose to Cowboys; and Vikings would have needed to BEAT the Bears. 

Maybe a long shot, but individually none of those outcomes are wild at all. Would have been enjoyable to ponder/dream for another week. 

• Like 1