Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I still think they bring in a vet.

We'll see what happens when QB bullets start flying for real.

Yeah that's been consistently said or implied but likely a backup type not front line starter

The starting quarterback carousel will spin this offseason, with Aaron RodgersDerek Carr, Lamar Jackson, Jimmy GaroppoloGeno Smith and Daniel Jones among the quarterbacks who could change teams either with a trade or through free agency.

Count the Commanders out of that market.

“No. No,” Rivera said when asked if they would be in the market for a veteran starter. “I think the biggest thing is we have to find a guy to come in that’s going to compete, but in terms of finding a guy you’re going to have to spend a lot of capital on, no. We’re not looking for a guy we’ve got to spend a lot of capital on. We’re looking for a guy that’s going to come in and compete first and foremost.”

It’s the opposite approach the team took last offseason when they called every team looking for a starter. They made a play for Russell Wilson and had the parameters in place for a trade for Garoppolo before his offseason shoulder surgery derailed that plan.

They instead drafted Howell in the fifth round and now will go with a player who once was considered a first-round prospect.

The only offseason question for Washington is who Howell’s backup will be.

“We want to find the right situation — a guy that can come in and be that supporting guy that can really help him grow and become the guy that gives you an opportunity to win football games,” Rivera said.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don’t get this line of thinking. Ron’s foremost priority is to win games so he keeps his job. And Howell is a guy *he* drafted, anyway. There’s no incentive for him to kneecap Sam’s opportunity. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I think I’m agreeing with you with what I posted. Looks like subsequent posts have added more context from Rivera anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I'll rephrase that to a vet who is a starter type then. Not an implied backup.

Keim and others have been consistent as to what they were hearing on this and Rivera said exactly what they've been saying so i am guessing there is something to it.

That is, a cheapish veteran.  It doesn't mean that Dalton or Brissett or name that cheapish veteran couldn't beat Howell for the job -- but it would be a real battle. 

It wouldn't be a Carr or Jimmy G or some dude who would basically be handed the job at a hefty price.

Rivera isn't a cagy dude.  He tend to keep to his word.  Last off season he seemed to be screaming they want to take some hard swings and they did.  This time he seems to be saying the opposite

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is, a cheapish veteran.  It doesn't mean that Dalton or Brissett or name that cheapish veteran couldn't beat Howell for the job -- but it would be a real battle. 

Guys like Brissett and Mayfield fall under starter types to me.

I'd expect them to likely be starting for somebody next year. Dalton is kinda fringe.

Guys with high cost are no doubt starter types.

I still expect us to chase some of these guys.

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Guys like Brissett and Mayfield fall under starter types to me.

I'd expect them to likely be starting for somebody next year. Dalton is kinda fringe.

Guys with high cost are no doubt starter types.

I still expect us to chase some of these guys.

I think they are chasing veterans who are ok with being backups but can start if something falls apart for Howell.  I don't get the impression that Rivera wants Howell on the bench but wants him to start but wants a backup who can step in in case of injury or it falls apart.

38 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Chad Henne come on down assuming Eric B. gets the OC job.

@KDawg's seceret agenda for pushing Bieniemy.  Shane might be coming.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/18/kansas-city-chiefs-udfa-qb-shane-buechele-explains-decision-to-sign/

Shane Buechele joined Chiefs to learn from Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and others

USATSI_13391467.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Buechele actually worked out a bit with Mahomes in Fort Worth this offseason, so the two are already familiar with each other. He also gets a chance to learn from Chad Henne, who has stuck around in the NFL for 12 seasons. That’s not a bad person to learn from if you’re looking to stick in the NFL for a long time.

Then he’ll also have a former NFL quarterback as his quarterback coach in Mike Kafka. He’ll get to work with one of the most revered offensive coordinators in the league in Eric Bieniemy. There’s also a future Hall of Fame head coach in Andy Reid, who is known for his work getting the most out of his quarterbacks.

“Yeah, Coach Kafka is a great guy and he’s a great coach,” Buechele said. “Just in these three days of camp, I’ve learned a ton in meetings and super great for me to be able to do that. He’s a really good teacher, and it’s been helpful for me to learn from him as well as Coach EB (Eric Bieniemy and Coach (Andy) Reid as well.”

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Chad Henne come on down assuming Eric B. gets the OC job.

That's my guess especially if we land EB who knows his system. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they are chasing veterans who are ok with being backups but can start if something falls apart for Howell.  I don't get the impression that Rivera wants Howell on the bench but wants him to start but wants a backup who can step in in case of injury or it falls apart.

@KDawg's seceret agenda for pushing Bieniemy.  Shane might be coming.

Shane is a ERFA though. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe the 2nd-3rd rounder in a package deal?  Straight up for Daron Payne?

A bunch of ifs.  If they sign EB as OC and if EB wants him or Henne.  That's a lot to give up for a street FA signing when we have a proven top 5-10 DT.  KC would have to give us Shane and some draft picks and decent ones for Payne I would think.  

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

A bunch of ifs.  If they sign EB as OC and if EB wants him or Henne.  That's a lot to give up for a street FA signing when we have a proven top 5-10 DT.  KC would have to give us Shane and some draft picks and decent ones for Payne I would think.  

Is it really, though?  @KDawg I think would agree a 2nd and third rounder for Buechele would be worth it.  Our QB room would be set for 10 plus years.   Just making the Hive go cold turkey on Heinicke so we can move on from that would justify the draft capital

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is it really, though?  @KDawg I think would agree a 2nd and third rounder for Buechele would be worth it.  Our QB room would be set for 10 plus years.   

SIP, your saying KC gives us a 2nd and 3rd round plus Shane for Payne?

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

SIP, your saying KC gives us a 2nd and 3rd round plus Shane for Payne?

@CapsSkins beat me to it.  Was just goofing around.  I wouldn't give up anything for Buechele

Keim

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35617403/commanders-sam-howell-start-offseason-qb1-coach-says

Rivera also said he met recently with co-owners Dan and Tanya Snyder, who told him it was "business as usual" this offseason, despite the team being up for sale. Rivera also said the team has reached out to representatives for free agent defensive tackle Daron Payne, but have not yet discussed money.

Rivera said they will look at veteran quarterbacks and will consider others in the draft. However, each of those three quarterbacks mentioned would come with a hefty price tag.

"We don't intend to overspend on capital, whether draft picks, players and money," Rivera said.

Howell, a fifth-round pick last spring, started Washington's regular season finale -- a 26-6 win over Dallas. Howell completed 11-of-19 passes for 169 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He also ran for five times for 35 yards and one score.

Rivera said he liked Howell's decision-making ability and his penchant for getting rid of the ball quick.

"He has the ability to put the ball where it needed to be and he learned very quickly from his mistakes," Rivera said.

Rivera also said he met recently with co-owners Dan and Tanya Snyder, who told him it was "business as usual" this offseason, despite the team being up for sale. Rivera also said the team has reached out to representatives for free agent defensive tackle Daron Payne, but have not yet discussed money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Is it really, though?  @KDawg I think would agree a 2nd and third rounder for Buechele would be worth it.  Our QB room would be set for 10 plus years.   Just making the Hive go cold turkey on Heinicke so we can move on from that would justify the draft capital

I’d give our first for Buech. You don’t say no to talent.

• Thumb up 1