Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFR updated the sack totals from before 1982. It now extends to 1960. Dexter Manley surpasses Ryan Kerrigan for franchise sack leader.

The NFL hasn't accepted these stats yet (don't know if they ever will), so it's unofficial for the time being.  The now unofficial franchise Top 5 is this:

1) Dexter Manley - 97 sacks

2) Ryan Kerrigan - 95.5 sacks

3) Charles Mann - 82 sacks

4) Diron Talbert - 65.5 sacks

5) Dave Butz - 59 sacks

Some more recent guys like Brian Orakpo have fallen to a tie at 12th in franchise rankings, with 40 sacks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/career-defense.htm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Anyone here old enough to remember Coy Bacon? He was one of my favorites in the pre-Gibbs days. Granted he wasn't with the team nearly long enough to set any sack records, but overall, he's credited unofficially with I think something like 130 sacks and supposedly had 26 in one season (again, unofficial), which would give him the all-time record. 

Coy-sacks-Jaworski-web.jpg

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

****. Come back Kerrigan!! Get two more added to your totals! 

Nah. Kerrigan was a great 'skin (Teamster?), but I like it when the records are associated with winning. That way the stats mattered. Dex helped along with Mann, Grant, and Butz formed a key component of the early glory years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Loved Coy Bacon, between him and Hanburger, was always hungry watching the Pardee Redskins.  Joe Lavender was another of my favorites from that era.

Agree.  I'll add Lemar Parrish.  He was an interception machine.  Had 9 in '79, 7 in '80.  Made the Pro Bowl both years.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Loved Coy Bacon, between him and Hanburger, was always hungry watching the Pardee Redskins.  Joe Lavender was another of my favorites from that era.

Walt Weigh****chers never gets his due. Him and Larry Liverwurst always get their accomplishments ignored.

• Haha 1