Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I take it as we need a bigger, physical receiver who catches the ball and can run after the catch being hard to bring down. A guy who's a matchup problem because of his physical build and ability to use his size. Deebo Samuel is a Garcon type but probably a faster version. Where do you find these type of receivers? Kind of sounds like something Antonio Gibson was in college to me. Samuel is a physical, strong WR but he is smaller. How about Mike Williams of the Chargers? He's a free agent to be this offseason. 

Garcon/Deebo can hard plant for a lateral cut and then add some juice out of their breaks.  Mike Williams doesn't.

Mike Williams is a good WR, but he's more like a much better Cam Sims.  His In or Out routes aren't going to create much separation against tight coverage.  If they're playing off, it's fine, cause he's big enough to shield the ball from the defender.  I also don't think Williams is as aggressive after the ball when it's in the air like Garcon was.  Garcon would aggressively come back to the ball.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There are some in that FO that are still there including the same dude being in charge of college evaulations in Tim Gribble.   Didn't feel like he was just making it up out of thin air when he was talking.  But impossible to know.   He hyped Marty Hurney so its possible he knows him. 

Aggressive in the draft does makes the most sense.  I think the best is behind Wilson (he's still good though).  Rodgers is not leaving Green Bay.  Does anyone actually expect the Raiders to move on from Carr?  Ryan might be available, but the best is definitely behind him.  That leaves maybe Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, and Carson Wentz as guys whose franchises are either disappointed with, or have a successor they want to give the ball to (Trey Lance).

Not a lot of options look appealing on the thought that Cousins or Wentz will suddenly turn it around, or that Ryan has more left in the tank, or that Wilson's decline this season was a fluke despite being small and in his mid-30's.

Someone posted something about the Jets willing to trade back for a pick and a player?  Any chance Montez Sweat + #11 is enough for #4?

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Garcon/Deebo can hard plant for a lateral cut and then add some juice out of their breaks.  Mike Williams doesn't.

Mike Williams is a good WR, but he's more like a much better Cam Sims.  His In or Out routes aren't going to create much separation against tight coverage.  If they're playing off, it's fine, cause he's big enough to shield the ball from the defender.  I also don't think Williams is as aggressive after the ball when it's in the air like Garcon was.  Garcon would aggressively come back to the ball.

Well said, I agree....I do think a bigger WR would be a good get this offseason to go with Logan Thomas as another tall redzone option. I'd take Williams.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Aggressive in the draft does makes the most sense.  I think the best is behind Wilson (he's still good though).  Rodgers is not leaving Green Bay.  Does anyone actually expect the Raiders to move on from Carr?  Ryan might be available, but the best is definitely behind him.  That leaves maybe Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, and Carson Wentz as guys whose franchises are either disappointed with, or have a successor they want to give the ball to (Trey Lance).

Not a lot of options look appealing on the thought that Cousins or Wentz will suddenly turn it around, or that Ryan has more left in the tank, or that Wilson's decline this season was a fluke despite being small and in his mid-30's.

Someone posted something about the Jets willing to trade back for a pick and a player?  Any chance Montez Sweat + #11 is enough for #4?

I think sweat and 11 should get you into top 3 or 4. He as good as Top defensive ends.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yeah the Jets GM already said something to the effect they'd consider that.  Don't know about Sweat.    in an interview with Finlay, Rivera threw in the idea of trading up in the draft.  Right now it feels to me that its what they likely end up doing.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah the Jets GM already said something to the effect they'd consider that.  Don't know about Sweat.    in an interview with Finlay, Rivera threw in the idea of trading up in the draft.  Right now it feels to me that its what they likely end up doing.

I just don't think we should trade two 1sts to move up 7 spots to take a borderline franchise QB. We need to keep hitting on our 1st round picks and I would hate to trade a future 1st for a risky QB prospect. I know that's the going rate but I'd sooner take the ND safety or Georgia LB this year and go the FA route to add other pieces. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I just don't think we should trade two 1sts to move up 7 spots to take a borderline franchise QB. We need to keep hitting on our 1st round picks and I would hate to trade a future 1st for a risky QB prospect. I know that's the going rate but I'd sooner take the ND safety or Georgia LB this year and go the FA route to add other pieces. 

We don't know for sure that it would require next year's first.  I have my own personal feelings about these QBs but I am not an expert.  None of us are.  Neither is name that mock drafter -- they get a ton wrong.  If teams listened to the the mock draft "experts", they would pass on Mahomes and Watson and wait for the QB rich 2018 draft and take the much safer prospects like Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold.

Keim says Hurney fancies himself as a dude who is good with QBs, and Hurney supposedly was high on Herbert before that draft.   My point is if they are hopped up on a prospect to the extent that they'd trade up for him.  I'll let it ride and trust it 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. Feels like it fits Howell, Corral and Pickett. 

Feels like it.    

IMO the pause about all three,

1.  Corral:  size combined with YOLO style of running, RPO heavy one read system can he adapt to NFL style progressions?

2.  Howell:  pocket presence, peripheral vision, can his mobility translate to the NFL considering he doesn't look fast or elusive

3.  Pickett:  What happened prior in his career when he was so pedestrian?  Enough arm talent?  He had some of the best protection in this group, what happens to him when he's under seige under pressure?

All three though IMO have the potential to hit the ground running for different reasons. 

• Like 1

I think second round feels right for Bell @KDawg.  He's clean but unspectacular like the first round prospects this year, who are also mostly clean too.

David Bell is what McLaurin's career would have looked like if he'd stayed in state instead of going to Ohio State.  They are similar stylistically, but Terry is faster than him.  Bell is kind of a leggy runner and he doesn't necessarily explode off the line but he does have decent speed and looks solid coming out of his breaks.  I'm curious to know if some of the games where he looked slow were games where he was seriously hurt, since Brohm said he played through some stuff for them that others wouldn't have.

He is a tough guy receiver like McLaurin and he excels at the nitty gritty type of catches that move the chains and bail out bad reps, but it's hard to rank him above some of the other top receivers in the class.  I think London and Williams are clearly ahead of him, and Wilson/Olave might be too.  And I would probably rank Burks and Dotson and Metchie ahead of him too, but Metchie's injury muddles his stock.

It's ridiculous what a stranglehold Alabama, Ohio State, and LSU have had on top WR talent in the country.  It's bad for college football.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think second round feels right for Bell @KDawg.  He's clean but unspectacular like the first round prospects this year, who are also mostly clean too.

David Bell is what McLaurin's career would have looked like if he'd stayed in state instead of going to Ohio State.  They are similar stylistically, but Terry is faster than him.  Bell is kind of a leggy runner and he doesn't necessarily explode off the line but he does have decent speed and looks solid coming out of his breaks.  I'm curious to know if some of the games where he looked slow were games where he was seriously hurt, since Brohm said he played through some stuff for them that others wouldn't have.

He is a tough guy receiver like McLaurin and he excels at the nitty gritty type of catches that move the chains and bail out bad reps, but it's hard to rank him above some of the other top receivers in the class.  I think London and Williams are clearly ahead of him, and Wilson/Olave might be too.  And I would probably rank Burks and Dotson and Metchie ahead of him too, but Metchie's injury muddles his stock.

It's ridiculous what a stranglehold Alabama, Ohio State, and LSU have had on top WR talent in the country.  It's bad for college football.

Olave/Wilson are more of the same for our receiver group. Though I do like them. 

Drake London is my favorite receiver in the class I think right now. Have to watch a lot more though. Barely scratched the surface there. 

I just want a guy that can use his body and aggressively attacks the ball for us. We haven’t had that since Garçon and I think that’s the biggest reason for our lack of success. Too many of the same kind of guys and no real grinders.

• Like 2

trade 11 and Payne plus maybe a 3rd rounder in 2023 to move to 4 and get Howell or Corral 

Draft the QB and sign Allen Robinson is my perfect storm… 

T Mac , D Brown C Sam and A Rob???!!!

draft a stud RB in 3-5 rounds and go with BPA where we could use depth LB, CB, O Line in the 2nd 

21 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Am I crazy for wanting either Kyle Hamilton or Derek Stingley Jr over a QB? If both those guys are gone, by all means take a QB but if one of them is available, we should take a hard look

Over a QB? Yes. You are.

Wanting them in general? No. I’d love either. They’re excellent.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

trade 11 and Payne plus maybe a 3rd rounder in 2023 to move to 4 and get Howell or Corral 

Draft the QB and sign Allen Robinson is my perfect storm… 

T Mac , D Brown C Sam and A Rob???!!!

draft a stud RB in 3-5 rounds and go with BPA where we could use depth LB, CB, O Line in the 2nd 

You forgot one very important move......sign Joey Slye to a 3 year deal.

A-Rob scares me....I love him and his game but is he gonna bounce back or would he take a payday and fade like Golladay in NY?

• Like 1

Javion Heiligh,  maybe in the 5th round?  I am not blown away but he could be solid.  About the same size and has some similarities to me to Dre Kirkpatrick from the last draft.  In some ways to Dax Milne and in some ways not.   

Just watched a couple of games.  His numbers are really good.  1128 yards, 17.1 YPC.  He had one of PFF's highest Yds Per Route, 3rd best among the top receivers only behind London and Burks. 

Pros

Productive, Big numbers multiple years 

They used him as a chess piece.  Put him in motion. Played slot, Z, and X.  

Good double move

Fast feet, can get open quickly in the flat

Good run blocker, will sprint down the field to help 

Seems to have a good feel as to how to find the seam in the zone

Good hands

Seems like an assignment sound player based on how they move him around, watching him in motion, block, etc.  

Cons

Didn't face stiff competition

Slim frame

Decent speed but certainly not crazy fast, not a homerun threat IMO inspite of his sick YPC numbers

Can he beat press?  Not sure. Is he better suited as a slot?  I am looking more for a Z.

YAC is ordinary

Jack of all trades master of none?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Made it my morning mission to get more familiar with bigger bodied receivers.

London remains one of my favorites in the class.

Treylon Burks popped onto my radar from Arkansas. Has decent speed and adjusts wel to the ball. Doesn’t seem very fast twitchy but a big body who will use it. 6-3 230

Justyn Ross of course.

Dontario Drummond seems like a consistent receiver but doesn’t do much of anything explosively. 

David Bell is probably my second favorite bigger bodied guy in the draft after London. He’s shifty and aggressively attacks the ball. His stutter step double moves could get him

in trouble in the nfl when a corner his size jams the **** out of him, though. 

Ty Fryfogle I just need to see more on. He’s impressive as hell, though. Plays bigger than he is and has strong hands. Contested balls wind up in his possession due to his hand strength. He’s up there for me. 

Alec Pierce is good at running underneath and leaping for a ball but most of his big plays are jump fade balls against inferior DBs. I’d need to know more about him to go to bat for him. As I have seen he’s not a guy I’d want. 

Emeka Emezie of NC state is a sleeper candidate for me at wide receiver. Big, strong, attacks the ball, excellent balance, makes contested catches.

Of these guys my order:

1. Drake London

2. David Bell/Ty Fryfogle

3. Emeka Emezie

4. Justyn Ross/Treylon Burks

5. Drummond

6. Pierce

I like all the guys in the 1-4 spots.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

At this point I might be leaning towards taking an elite guy at 11 and then trading up from our second pick into the late 1st for one of the remaining QBs

I've entertained that thought as well.  But teams that think they need a QB are so unpredictable.

In 2019, Jones went 6th overall and Haskins 15th.  Both of them had a fair amount of negative hype.

All it takes is one owner or GM to get smitten.  Or a GM to panic and buy time for his job security.  Or an owner to be impatient and reckless. Etc etc.  People are weird under pressure.  We can't count on QB's lasting there.

15 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I've entertained that thought as well.  But teams that think they need a QB are so unpredictable.

In 2019, Jones went 6th overall and Haskins 15th.  Both of them had a fair amount of negative hype.

All it takes is one owner or GM to get smitten.  Or a GM to panic and buy time for his job security.  Or an owner to be impatient and reckless. Etc etc.  People are weird under pressure.  We can't count on QB's lasting there.

yeah its def a big risk.