Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

lol, I jinxed both Pickett and Ridder who cooled off some now.  Miami is really bringing it to Pitt

2 hours ago, illone said:

I might be firmly in the Malik Willis camp after watching this:

Thanks, I watched the whole thing.  It makes me feel better.  I've just watched one game where I was wowed by Willis' talent.  But a dude on the QB thread who has watched more of his games thinks I am on drugs and he's really just a 3rd-4th round QB.  So it looks like at least I got a little company on Willis.  I am not even ready to say I am sold but I do think his running talent is special and Sullivan said the same, ditto Sullivan pumped up his arm talent. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 10/28/2021 at 7:02 AM, illone said:

similar thing happened with Joe Burrow…

Only difference is burrow only started two seasons and was decent one year and greatest season ever the next. Pickett is now a full on 4 year starter and was absolutely mediocre to below mediocre his first 35 games. About to throw 600 yards today, ha

Edited by GOATFrerotte

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think I agree with @KDawgnow that the sample size is growing for me on Pickett as to wondering about arm strength. He throws with nice touch but not a heck a lot of zip on some of his throws.

He's got an average arm IMO.  He has to full step into throws to drive the ball on intermediate throws.  But I do think he can hit those special window throws that explosive offenses feature.  Matt Ryan can stick them and I wouldn't necessarily view him as having a strong arm relative to the league.

The thing Pickett has going for him is his athleticism.  He can reset and get his feet in position to drive throws quickly so he still hits those windows where he dices up safeties and beats solid man coverage downfield.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's got an average arm IMO.  He has to full step into throws to drive the ball on intermediate throws.  But I do think he can hit those special window throws that explosive offenses feature.  Matt Ryan can stick them and I wouldn't necessarily view him as having a strong arm relative to the league.

The thing Pickett has going for him is his athleticism.  He can reset and get his feet in position to drive throws quickly so he still hits those windows where he dices up safeties and beats solid man coverage downfield.

My initial observation was his arm strength flashes at times but is inconsistent.  Today, i don't see much zip on his throws including on the intermediate ones but maybe its windy or something that makes it come off that way.  Though I like to say the best way to judge arm strength is to see it in person.  I recall some draft geek types questioning for example Mac Jones' arm strength but I disagreed, though the reason why I was confident on that topic is nothing beats seeing that live in a game.  

I am not really fixated on arm strength is the be all and end all attribute but I do get concerns with QBs who are limited on that front.   I can think of plenty QB busts who had rifles.  

Pittman was one of my guys in that draft, if I recall @KDawg was equally enthusiastic.  I can even recall one of the conversations about it where I explained to someone why I liked Terry McLaurin that prior draft and they asked me who in this draft reminds me of Terry.  I said Pittman.  I don't recall all the reasons I gave but I recall some:  does everything well, blocks hard, plays killer special teams, good teammate.  He checked so many boxes.  But the kicker was intangibles. He was the WR where you heard that again and again and again.  Any player who is billed with through the roof intangibles and has talent...these are players IMO to be on.  And that goes double for QBs. 

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Overall I liked what I've seen from Pickett.  Just made a wicked play where he was chased, had to turn around and go to his left and flicked a perfectly placed ball for a TD.   

His mobility and pocket movement IMO isn't at Corral's level but its not a mile off either. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That would be a best case draft imo but how does Houston pass on a QB?

Agree.  

Watching Pickett today, really impressive.  I think he and Corral end up going high.  And Willis' talent is too tantalizing not to go high, too.  QBs like him don't tend to drop.

Pickett and Corral seem to have the two things I value the most (disclaimer that I need to watch more of Pickett before I am 100% concrete as to being confident in my own opinion) which accuracy all across the field, with all types of throws, and also I love QBs who are really fluid moving in the pocket.  You can flush them out with pressure and they can readjust their feet and throw on the move or take off.  Corral is more likely to take off than Pickett from what i've noticed.  

Mac Jones who I liked and defended but in retrospect I should have pushed more -- what struck me about him is his wide range of accuracy.  Jones could move better than his critics thought, too.  Pickett and Corral are better atheltes than Jones.  And I don't think their accuracy is as pinpoint as Jones looked to me.  But their accuracy seems plenty good enough and both QBs are really comfortable moving in the pocket.

I was listening to Jay on 980 last week talk about evaluating college QBs and one of his points was its tough to teach a QB how to handle pressure and move away from it and make throws on the move.  He implied its mostly instinct.  And IMO both Pickett and Corral have that instinct. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  

Watching Pickett today, really impressive.  I think he and Corral end up going high.  And Willis' talent is too tantalizing not to go high, too.  QBs like him don't tend to drop.

Pickett and Corral seem to have the two things I value the most (disclaimer that I need to watch more of Pickett before I am 100% concrete as to being confident in my own opinion) which accuracy all across the field, with all types of throws, and also I love QBs who are really fluid moving in the pocket.  You can flush them out with pressure and they can readjust their feet and throw on the move or take off.  Corral is more likely to take off than Pickett from what i've noticed.  

Mac Jones who I liked and defended but in retrospect I should have pushed more -- what struck me about him is his wide range of accuracy.  Jones could move better than his critics thought, too.  Pickett and Corral are better atheltes than Jones.  And I don't think their accuracy is as pinpoint as Jones looked to me.  But their accuracy seems plenty good enough and both QBs are really comfortable moving in the pocket.

I was listening to Jay on 980 last week talk about evaulating college QBs and one of his points was its tough to teach a QB how to handle pressure and move away from it and make throws.  He implied its mostly instinct.  And IMO both Pickett and Corral have that instinct. 

My guess is Watson is traded and they use another first round pick on a QB, but no one they like top 5.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He’s good but guys suddenly having huge games against Michigan is nothing new.

I believe he’s the leading rusher in college football - yards wise. So I get it if this was a one off breakout game but it’s not the case with him 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe he’s the leading rusher in college football - yards wise. So I get it if this was a one off breakout game but it’s not the case with him 

Meh. It seems to happen a lot. Michigan has always been a paper contender but the reality is good teams beat good teams and pretenders get exposed. Every year there’s always a few guys that have huge performances against Michigan and the announcers talk about it like it’s never been done. Every year.

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Meh. It seems to happen a lot. Michigan has always been a paper contender but the reality is good teams beat good teams and pretenders get exposed. Every year there’s always a few guys that have huge performances against Michigan and the announcers talk about it like it’s never been done. Every year.

So Kenneth Walker "meh"?    Again, he's not some scrub who had some one off wild good game against Michigan in the mix of lemon games otherwise.  He's been hyped for most of the season.  That was my first watch of him and I was impressed. i am not quite sure what your point is but if its you watched him multiple games and have found him "meh' as a player, than cool.   I admit I have to go back and watch some of his previous games.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So Kenneth Walker "meh"?    Again, he's not some scrub who had some one off wild good game against Michigan in the mix of lemon games otherwise.  He's been hyped for most of the season.  That was my first watch of him and I was impressed. i am not quite sure what your point is but if its you watched him multiple games and have found him "meh' as a player, than cool.   I admit I have to go back and watch some of his prevuous games.

My point is he’s good, but we’ve reached a point in Harbaugh’s tenure where big games against michigan aren’t all that special. Three of the long runs today we’re pretty much straight draws up the gut against the predictably aggressive front 7. He did his job but most decent RBs would have found paydirt. A typical case of teams adjusting at halftime and Michigan, regardless of who the DC is, continuing to live and die with an aggressive game plan.

Edited by PartyPosse

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

My point is he’s good, but we’ve reached a point in Harbaugh’s tenure where big games against michigan aren’t all that special. Three of the long runs today we’re pretty much straight draws up the gut against the predictably aggressive front 7. He did his job but most decent RBs would have found paydirt. A typical case of teams adjusting at halftime and Michigan, regardless of who the DC is, continuing to live and die with an aggressive game plan.

ok, cool, got it, so your posts were mostly about you ripping Michigan, not being down on Walker.  What threw me off was i was focused on Walker not Michigan and that game wasn't some wild exception for Walker, he's been doing it all season.  IMO he had more to his game today than just those 3 runs but agree those 3 runs were set up pretty well for him.  

Definitely a big loss for Michigan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

ok, cool, got it, so your posts were mostly about you ripping Michigan, not being down on Walker.  What threw me off was i was focused on Walker not Michigan and that game wasn't some wild exception for Walker, he's been doing it all season. 

Definitely a big loss for Michigan. 

I thi

I think my weird point was essentially it was a good game for Walker, but it coming against Michigan doesn't mean as much as some still seem to think it does.

• Thumb down 1