Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ClimateBiz

Burgold

As I shared with some of you a little while ago, at the start of the year, I took on a producer gig with ClimateBiz. Some expressed interest in the topic and so I thought I would drop a few links.

ClimateBiz is a show that examines climate issues through an investment lens with a particular focus on corporate and policy solutions to climate-based problems. Two things that I like about it is that it is apolitical and that it's not a show about complaining or worrying over problems, but one that is spotlighting solutions and those doing good works. It's produced by the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation.

So, here are some episodes in reverse order since I've come aboard. Some, I've had a greater hand in and some less. I'm still trying to instill some better broadcasting practices into the format, but being the new guy that can be tough Feedback is welcomed (both positive and negative.) Clicks and word of mouth are also welcomed as it will suggest to my bosses that my work is helping them. ;)

Please click on the link to any topic that interests you.

The Greener Side of International Women's Day

This is a clip show in which the hosts highlight a number of women they've spoken to in the past who are leading the way in the green rebuild. Guests range from a former President of Ireland to bank CEO's.

https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/topics_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/climate+business/news/climatebiz_podcast/climatebiz_s3_e8

Danfoss: Sustaining the Cool

I was surprised at how interesting this one was to me. It's all about how to make air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating more efficient and greener and why it's not. I wouldn't have thought it'd be such a fun topic, but I really dug it.

https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/topics_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/climate+business/news/climatebiz_podcast/climatebiz_s3_e7

Royal Dutch Shell

The thoughts of a major oil/gas company when it comes to carbon, alternative fuels, etc.

https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/topics_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/climate+business/news/climatebiz_podcast/climatebiz_s3_e6

Crystal Ball 2021

This is a buffet. The hosts talk to area experts all across IFC to talk about what is going on in solar, wind, hydrogen, waste management, electric vehicles, etc. and what they think will happen this year.

https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/topics_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/climate+business/news/climatebiz_podcast/climatebiz_s3_e5

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, China said:

One thing I heard recently that we're trending to the point that soon (by 2050) there will be more mass of plastic in the oceans that fish.

Link

I've heard that, too. It's frightening. Disgusting. Right now, we are apparently dumping the equivalent of a dump truck's load of plastic into the ocean every minute. The worst abusers are apparently in East Asia. One interesting point they made in the podcast was that part of the problem was that many of these countries are developing so quickly that their infrastructure can't keep pace. They don't have the mechanisms to deal with waste.

I suspect the answer if there is one will be a combination of factors ranging from developing degradable plastics to better recylying/ waste mechanisms.

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I've heard that, too. It's frightening. Disgusting. Right now, we are apparently dumping the equivalent of a dump truck's load of plastic into the ocean every minute. The worst abusers are apparently in East Asia. One interesting point they made in the podcast was that part of the problem was that many of these countries are developing so quickly that their infrastructure can't keep pace. They don't have the mechanisms to deal with waste.

I suspect the answer if there is one will be a combination of factors ranging from developing degradable plastics to better recylying/ waste mechanisms.

Even worse, on average globally, the average person is ingesting about a credit card's worth of plastic every week (from all sources, not just fish).

• Sad 2

Honestly I think water pollution, in particular plastics, is a more immediate crisis than global warming, but gets lost in the background. I realize the two are interconnected somewhat, and climate change is also a very serious problem, but I think we may be doing greater and more irreversible damage to our oceans, rivers and lakes. Unfortunately, the worst offenders are all in Asia, so it will be difficult to make significant progress.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I agree that water pollution plastics plus acidification is an enormous problem. I’m not sure what is the most immediate issue, but like yo feel there’s a lot of overlap. 

Most of the plastics you throw into the recycle bin don't get recycled...dirty little secret.  East Asia's infrastructure?  Hell...our infrastructure can't keep up.  There are methodologies for recycling all plastics in a single waste stream back into oil (pyrolisis...litterally just water, heat and pressure).  Problem is that its not priced competitively due to cheap oil and cheap plastic.  Our conventional recycling infrastructure is also not growing: its just not economically competitive.

Wanna fix the plastic problem?  Enact an end of life tax on all new plastics imported or domestically made.  That is the price of a new plastic bottle is not just the price of production, but the energy/logistics price of recycling the plastic when it is done.  You would see an almost immediate shift from making new plastics to recycling the stuff we have.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Really cool practical discussion between WWF's Carter Roberts and IFC's new boss Makhtar Diop about diversity loss, sustainable agriculture, the role habitats play in disease spread, but what I really liked was the notion that we've passed the point where rhetoric is good enough. It's a time for instituting better practices and investing in "building back better."

https://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/topics_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/climate+business/news/climatebiz_podcast/climatebiz_s3_e10

On 4/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, China said:

In discussing diversity loss, did they mention the Global Seed Vault?

Sorry, @China. Missed this. 

I don't remember anything about the Global Seed Vault, but there was a ton of talk about sustainable farming practices, better water use, habitat preservation and how that correlates with spread or non spread of disease.

On this note, I am trying to the hosts to be more interactive and field questions from the audience. If you have private sector approaches to addressing climate or sustainable issues let me know and I'll present them to the host. If you'd like to be credited let me know how we can address you. It can be anything from (Chuck from Montreal to a twitter handle or full name) If you prefer to remain anonymous here on ES feel free to DM me.

Painting the wheel barrows pink and writing “love” on the sides of them just makes the whole thing look like a kids show.  If you’re coming to dump piles of **** in front of the White House, maybe choose a theme less like Peppa Pig?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Whoa. I dropped the ball on keeping this updated.

The most recent episode is on green bonds. Green Bonds are an investment instrument wherein a company can issue debt in exchange for a promised return on investment, but that the money is tied to certain green/climate standards that the company must achieve. The World Bank and IFC were among the first issuers of these bonds. They've only been around for about ten years and have grown from about a $2.5 billion dollar industry to $270 (that includes all the issuers of green bonds not just World Bank/IFC) 

Here's a good discussion with some of the players who've been there from the start.

https://climatebiz.libsyn.com/green-bonds-part-i-from-burden-to-an-opportunity

P.S. Thanks to those who contributed audience questions in the past. We've fielded about five so far. Feel free to keep asking.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:19 AM, Jabbyrwock said:

Most of the plastics you throw into the recycle bin don't get recycled...dirty little secret.  East Asia's infrastructure?  Hell...our infrastructure can't keep up.  There are methodologies for recycling all plastics in a single waste stream back into oil (pyrolisis...litterally just water, heat and pressure).  Problem is that its not priced competitively due to cheap oil and cheap plastic.  Our conventional recycling infrastructure is also not growing: its just not economically competitive.

Wanna fix the plastic problem?  Enact an end of life tax on all new plastics imported or domestically made.  That is the price of a new plastic bottle is not just the price of production, but the energy/logistics price of recycling the plastic when it is done.  You would see an almost immediate shift from making new plastics to recycling the stuff we have.

I can speak on this fairly well since in my industry we deal with it everyday. 

The mixed plastic recycling is awesome. Problem is, no funding to make the factories. Pyrolisis is looked down upon due to energy consumption, so no one funds it, which is sad.

Other chemical recycling is also starting to catch on, but slowly. Problem is this forces people to design for circularity, which is not easy. 

Correct, the amount of recyclable plastic that just gets thrown out is insane...over 95%.

Fibers in the ocean...less then 10% is plastic.

Bio-plastic, this is where things need to go along with mixed plastic chemical recycling.

I could go on about this for awhile, especially as it is related to the textile industry, but I won't bore y'all.

Edited by Xameil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 10:22 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Honestly I think water pollution, in particular plastics, is a more immediate crisis than global warming, but gets lost in the background. I realize the two are interconnected somewhat, and climate change is also a very serious problem, but I think we may be doing greater and more irreversible damage to our oceans, rivers and lakes. Unfortunately, the worst offenders are all in Asia, so it will be difficult to make significant progress.

Horny hermit crabs 'sexually excited' by plastic toxins in oceans, scientists say

Hermit crabs may be "sexually excited" by an additive released by plastics in the ocean, a team of researchers has discovered.

Boffins from the University of Hull have been studying the combined impact of climate change, plastic and other molecules on marine species.

Studies of the waters off the Yorkshire coast revealed that a plastic additive called oleamide - known to be a sex pheromone or stimulant for certain species of insects - increases the respiration rate of hermit crabs, indicating excitement.

The team also found that oleamide can be mistaken for food, meaning the crabs may travel a distance in search of a meal, only to discover plastic.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1