Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Distance learning and our primary schools

gbear

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with the CDC guidelines and recommendations for schools Opening back up what are you all doing?  Waiting to hear official word but leaning towards homeschool for my son (2nd grade).  For my daughter we are moving to a smaller academy that should have a lot more flexibility (3.5)(https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/what-the-cdc-guidelines-for-reopening-schools-actually-say-2020-5%3famp)

I just can’t imagine being a kid at this time having to be so isolated and definitely feel for those parents who don’t have another option.  I can’t see (with a choice) sending to school in a face mask and losing out on the social aspect of the lunches and pe, etc 

4 hours ago, steve09ru said:

So with the CDC guidelines and recommendations for schools Opening back up what are you all doing?  Waiting to hear official word but leaning towards homeschool for my son (2nd grade).  For my daughter we are moving to a smaller academy that should have a lot more flexibility (3.5)(https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/what-the-cdc-guidelines-for-reopening-schools-actually-say-2020-5%3famp)

I just can’t imagine being a kid at this time having to be so isolated and definitely feel for those parents who don’t have another option.  I can’t see (with a choice) sending to school in a face mask and losing out on the social aspect of the lunches and pe, etc 

Well, where we are in NC, I don't trust our county to pull anything safe off, regardless of what they do.  Lots of ideas floating around out there, but lets face it, our schools are large, gazillion students.  I don't think there is really anything close to 50% safe they can do if the virus is still spreading like a wildfire come late August when school would resume.

As of right now, they are stating that they plan to open as normal in August.  No mention of any potential what if scenarios, no option to send your child or remote online learning (as they did when they sent kids home middle of March).  I'm sure it all boils down to politics and potential complaints from parents who will eventually have to go back to work or were already doing so.  Specifically, those who work from home already or whose company will continue to allow them to work remote, that their kids shouldn't get to stay at home and do online school if their kids have to go back to school cause they have to go into work and don't have anyone to stay at home with their kids.  And IMO, there should be an option.  

Anyhow, my wife and I decided that we aren't going to sit around and wait and subject our daughter to some "experiment" on sending kids back to school.  So we are going to do the online home schooling for her upcoming 7th grade year.  I am fortunate to work from home (have for 8 years now), so we got lucky that it was an option for us.  As far as isolation, my daughter is handling it extremely well.  She texts her friends and does zoom meetings with her taekwondo classes.

Heck, she has been asking us for two years now to do home school or online school from home, long before this pandemic.  Our plan is to do it at least for next year, possibly her 8th grade year too (even if the pandemic is over), just because she is bright and might be able to get ahead in her studies doing home schooling.  But she is going to high school, 9th - 12th.

11 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Well, where we are in NC, I don't trust our county to pull anything safe off, regardless of what they do.  Lots of ideas floating around out there, but lets face it, our schools are large, gazillion students.  I don't think there is really anything close to 50% safe they can do if the virus is still spreading like a wildfire come late August when school would resume.

As of right now, they are stating that they plan to open as normal in August.  No mention of any potential what if scenarios, no option to send your child or remote online learning (as they did when they sent kids home middle of March).  I'm sure it all boils down to politics and potential complaints from parents who will eventually have to go back to work or were already doing so.  Specifically, those who work from home already or whose company will continue to allow them to work remote, that their kids shouldn't get to stay at home and do online school if their kids have to go back to school cause they have to go into work and don't have anyone to stay at home with their kids.  And IMO, there should be an option.  

Anyhow, my wife and I decided that we aren't going to sit around and wait and subject our daughter to some "experiment" on sending kids back to school.  So we are going to do the online home schooling for her upcoming 7th grade year.  I am fortunate to work from home (have for 8 years now), so we got lucky that it was an option for us.  As far as isolation, my daughter is handling it extremely well.  She texts her friends and does zoom meetings with her taekwondo classes.

Heck, she has been asking us for two years now to do home school or online school from home, long before this pandemic.  Our plan is to do it at least for next year, possibly her 8th grade year too (even if the pandemic is over), just because she is bright and might be able to get ahead in her studies doing home schooling.  But she is going to high school, 9th - 12th.

Yeah that's another thing - I don't feel like many counties will be prepared with online learnings so if things do go south or they go back virtual, i have a feeling it will just be the same where we were sent a powerpoint with links each week with a 30 minute class zoom meeting.  What they should be doing, and hopefully are, is fully preparing for the year to be virtual and coming up with ways to do this successfully.  I'm sure it was hard to come up with something last minute for back in March but there's be no excuse for not being ready this next go around.

We'll probably do homeschool this year and see how things are the following.

5 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Yeah that's another thing - I don't feel like many counties will be prepared with online learnings so if things do go south or they go back virtual, i have a feeling it will just be the same where we were sent a powerpoint with links each week with a 30 minute class zoom meeting.  What they should be doing, and hopefully are, is fully preparing for the year to be virtual and coming up with ways to do this successfully.  I'm sure it was hard to come up with something last minute for back in March but there's be no excuse for not being ready this next go around.

We'll probably do homeschool this year and see how things are the following.

I think it's fair to expect teachers and schools to be MORE prepared if this is still our reality in the fall. But there are still going to be some struggles and a steep learning curve. Teachers have been doing their job a certain way for a while now and year 1 of a new way won't be nearly as effective or efficient. 

16 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Dang man! I can't believe your daughter's in 7th grade already. I think I remember you posting about her being in 2nd.

3 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Dang man! I can't believe your daughter's in 7th grade already. I think I remember you posting about her being in 2nd.

Yeah, me either.  It's like I blinked and she went from age 5 to 12.  She's wrapping up 6th grade next week, will turn 13 next March.

• 2 weeks later...

I was part of a virtual q/a last night with some wcpss higher ups. (Wake county public schools)  in NC. I believe we are one of the 15 largest public school districts in the country. 

Reading the tea leaves (as one of our es posters used to say) I would bet we are 100% virtual all of next year.

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

We are preparing to be largely virtual as well. Lots of meetings right now to figure out how to improve on the last couple months.

One of the loudest requests was consistency. Use the same apps across the district, same expectations from class to class within a grade, same schedules, etc.

Archived