Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tua Tagovailoa doesn't understand Rule 8 & needs to fix this

wtfskins

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Goff, Jackson, Wentz, Wilson, Watson, Mahomes ... they all had legitimate runs on rookie deals. Even Trubisky ...& Allen... 

These rookie QB deals are the nfl cheat code, if you can upgrade your rookie QB, you should do it. If you like your rookie QB, then you’re good to go, just don’t pay him when the deal expires. 

But IMO much of that goes back to my point #2. How much of those QBs' runs were because they were just flat out that good as opposed to being on a really good overall team with really good coaching?

Jackson is an anomaly because he landed in a spot where the coaches completely revamped the entire offensive philosophy to specifically fit his talents. That's pretty ballsy and happened to work out for them but I doubt many teams are going to be willing to do it. Wilson had a very good first few years but he also had a great run game and a dominant defense so he didn't have to put up gaudy numbers...just had to play pretty well and not turn the ball over much, which is what he did. Goff, who knows. He had one dominant year after a disappointing rookie season and then went back to being mediocre. Wentz had one dominant year, then got injured and Nick freaking Foles took them all the way to the SB title. To me that screams that the team and coaching were outstanding. Trubisky and Allen had next to nothing to do with their teams going far. They were utterly mediocre.

The only one that really really stands out to me on that list as "Yes, that guy is the reason they're an elite team" is Mahomes. The rookie QB carousel "cheat code" thing only works IMO if you already have a very good team to put around him. Or you happen to luck into Patrick Mahomes. 

Something I also haven't been thinking about too much, but I think is a good point.

Chicago traded the farm to San Francisco for the rights to draft Mitch Tribusky. Those assets became the cornerstone of a team that just went to the Super Bowl with a QB they acquired on the modest. So while getting a franchise QB can set you up, betting wrong can set you way back. I get that this comparison is not totally relevant because we don't need to trade for Tua, but on the other hand, it is relevant because of what we would bypass if we get Tua instead of Young or a huge haul of draft picks. We could be San Francisco or we could be Chicago. 

More, Tua saying that he would be okay with red-shirting a year makes me wonder if despite his great medicals he knows/believes he would need more time to heal or feel confident in the strength of his hip. All considered, there are more reasons to not pick Tua than to pick him in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Something I also haven't been thinking about too much, but I think is a good point.

Chicago traded the farm to San Francisco for the rights to draft Mitch Tribusky. Those assets became the cornerstone of a team that just went to the Super Bowl with a QB they acquired on the modest. So while getting a franchise QB can set you up, betting wrong can set you way back. I get that this comparison is not totally relevant because we don't need to trade for Tua, but on the other hand, it is relevant because of what we would bypass if we get Tua instead of Young or a huge haul of draft picks. We could be San Francisco or we could be Chicago. 

More, Tua saying that he would be okay with red-shirting a year makes me wonder if despite his great medicals he knows/believes he would need more time to heal or feel confident in the strength of his hip. All considered, there are more reasons to not pick Tua than to pick him in my opinion.

Not really.  SF took Solomon Thomas at #3 and he’s frankly been a bust.  They traded the 4th rounder they got to move up and take Foster who they cut.  They traded the 3rd rounder they got (which ended up being Kamara) for a future 2nd.  That 2nd rounder ended up being traded to move up and take Dante Pettis who has been a bust.  Oops!  Frankly SF has been pretty bad at the draft since Kyle took over.  Arm stead and Buckner were picks by Trent Balke.  Mike Mcglinchey is an ok RT, but he’s not elite.   Bosa was a no brained pick.  Their best pick was Kittle in the 5th obviously.  They got nothing with those picks they got from Chicago 

32 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

It's a somewhat lengthy article, but worth the read. It focuses on both the reticence of team doctors to advocate for an oft-injured player, and on the risks of choosing a player who has experienced such multiple injuries.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article241048466.html

This is one of the reasons I'm wondering if teams are going to be more reticent about Tua than most here think. As the article says, QBs with college injury histories tend to keep having injuries in the NFL. And Tua has had multiple injuries, including 4 which required surgery. 4 surgeries for injuries before he's even out of college, including one really bad season ending one recently. Add to that his relatively small stature and teams are really going to wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy and weigh that in their decision. That's especially true if you're talking about a top 5 pick, and super especially true if you're talking about giving up a load of picks to move up for him. 

Tua is an electric player when healthy but he just can't seem to stay healthy. It's a big gamble. 

Archived