Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

36 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

But there's also nothing here that seems actually difficult where at least "initial" "screening" couldn't be being done in  much more wide spread manner from what I know.

No?

Well, sure, it could all be done fairly easily.  But it would involve multiple steps and test development and ordering everything, all in a scenario where CDC is saying "send tests here."  I just don't think that doing this as a one-off on a lark is realistic.  The other issue is that to be sure about the results, you'd need a positive control.  

I know our diagnostic lab (Mayo Clinic) has been working with the CDC (and other groups) in test development for an easily order able commercial assay.  But at this point our teams are working with, not around, CDC.  I think the time will come quickly where the testing for this is not confined to the CDC, but not yet.  I don't think CDC has the testing volume bandwidth to keep up.  

Edited by bcl05

34 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I think some on this thread are missing the point that one cannot simply test for this virus with a sample and a PCR machine.  It is one thing to have a PCR machine, another thing entirely to have proper primers and other reagents specific to this test.  A PCR machine is a tool, not a test itself.  There is a lot more to the test than just the machine.  

Fake news.  Take your libtard, hippie “science” somewhere else.

Just now, DCSaints_fan said:

Educate me.  Is it an ethical issue ?

Certainly not.  It's just a big hassle.  You'd need to order the proper primers and then optimize the test (PCR reactions often don't just "work" ideally with the first try).  Most labs would worry about handling potential COVID19 samples.  You would want positive controls to make sure your test was working.  You'd want control samples of other coronaviruses to make sure you're not cross-reacting to other, more common viruses.  None of those steps are impossible, but I think the cumulative effect is that it is completely unrealistic to be doing this testing casually.  CDC is already offering testing (certainly imperfectly), so its easier by far to just go with their recommendations/program.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Certainly not.  It's just a big hassle.  You'd need to order the proper primers and then optimize the test (PCR reactions often don't just "work" ideally with the first try).  Most labs would worry about handling potential COVID19 samples.  You would want positive controls to make sure your test was working.  You'd want control samples of other coronaviruses to make sure you're not cross-reacting to other, more common viruses.  None of those steps are impossible, but I think the cumulative effect is that it is completely unrealistic to be doing this testing casually.  CDC is already offering testing (certainly imperfectly), so its easier by far to just go with their recommendations/program.  

So what is South Korea doing differently and why can't we do that here?  10,000 tests a day, using drive through testing.  We have to send it off to Atlanta?

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So what is South Korea doing differently and why can't we do that here?  10,000 tests a day, using drive through testing.  We have to send it off to Atlanta?

I really don't know.  Not sure if they are using an equivalent test and are just ahead of us in dispersing kits or what.  Or if the CDC test is somehow different.  Or maybe they are using a different testing approach.

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

there are at least 12 cdc locations doing tests and more coming online.

the cdc also sent out test kits to the states, some of which were defective....which seems sorted out now.

So at what point are you bailing and to which country? Me, I'm debating between a 50% loss in the stock market, or the first massacre when somebody from the one side who hates each other kills a whole bunch of people from the other side who hates each other because they blame them for losing all their money and stealing the election.

edit: Oh, and Canada.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1

Japan will announce a second batch of measures around March 10 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and mitigate its damage to the economy, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Monday.

The government will take sufficient steps including helping small- and medium-sized firms cope with any financial shortfalls by tapping its 270 billion yen ($2.50 billion) in budget reserves, Abe told parliament.

“We will carefully monitor developments and take steps without hesitation, as needed,” Abe said.