Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Rock be a legit starter?

xanathos19

Just thinking about the massacre on Sunday, and thought that Rock played pretty well, all things considered. Just looking for some thoughts on if Rock can be a legit starter at RB...

He always seems to make a guy miss, and carry a guy for several yards...he never seems to get caught for a loss. What do you think?

I think he could. I must be in the minority on this subject but by the way he runs I can tell you he is a superb running back.

He runs more like a RB than a FB. He looks faster on the field than Canidate, I don't care what the hell the track time says Canidate runs, he plays football slow.

People just seem to bounce off him. I love him, and I wish the coaching staff would use him more.

Originally posted by Even Madder

Yeah, just like Watson and Betts last year. The jury is still out on Rock. I like what he's done so far, but don't get ahead of yourself.

By no means am I saying he is the man...I was just wondering, based on what he's done, if he can be legit at this level...why not give him the chance now that the season is shot, and see what he can do for next year...at the worst we find out that he's not a full-time back, but we have a solid back-up!

OK. Most know I have kicked Rock to the curb. But, if he keeps playing like he did last Sunday, I may just have to love him again.

Yes, he can carry the ball 30+ times a game. He has the strength and stamina to do so. Rock also has great field savvy. No, he is not Clinton Portis. No he is not Priest Holmes. Nor is he Marshall Faulk. But he can make a statement.

Last year when he was drafted, many on here said......7th rounder.....will be lucky if he makes it through training camp.

Then this year....many said......well, maybe he can be an OK backup to Bryan.

Well, he has done that...........and more. He has also shown his ability to be a starter and move the chains.

Oh dear. Sounds like he is off my bad list.

Maybe Santa can bring him to me for Christmas.

;)

Blondie

What is his avg. on 1st down? Has he faced 8 men in the box? (not against Dallas in smashmouth weather) Im not being a smart a55, I just have a different opinion. I happen to think he is to small. He may prove me wrong but he is 100% unproven. I give him credit he is a heck of a 7th rounder he has a lot to prove though. If we let him go this offseason do you honestly in your right mind think he could go anywhere and start? Give him 3 years he wouldnt even start. (please dont try to think of a team with the absolute worst running back in the league, our standards from my point of veiw should be higher)

I was some what impressed with the rock, but I doubt if he could be an every down back. He's only 5'7 and lacks the elusiveness and only has averege speed. Last week he got almost evey yard on either a delay run or draw, but I question his effectiveness when a team knows he's getting the ball.

As I've said,, I think our backfield is fine. Everything behind center seems pretty worthwhile to me. I don't know that Rock has what it takes to be a 30 carry a game starter, but then again I don't know if he doesn't, either.

In tandem, our backs have proven effective when they are used, and really no matter what combination has been in there.

This isn't to say they don't need improvement in areas, and in some cases VAST improvement. Our blocking from the backs has been dismal, (blocking technique can be taught) and in the last few games we've had a NUMBER of opportunities inside the tean and failed to score a TD.

But, we have a good combination in our backs of speed and power. We've seen glimpses of what Canidate can do,, he truly is a threat to bust off 30 yards in a blink if he gets a seam. Betts gets hurt too much. Expendable, I believe. Morton has provided a decent change of pace at times, and Rock has been awesome on short yardage, and has REALLY played well in extended roles when asked.

I don't know why we HAVE to have one back.

~Bang

Originally posted by dallasfan

I was some what impressed with the rock, but I doubt if he could be an every down back. He's only 5'7 and lacks the elusiveness and only has averege speed. Last week he got almost evey yard on either a delay run or draw, but I question his effectiveness when a team knows he's getting the ball.

Our whole running game is finesse. You are 100% right and that is why spurrier gets away from the run quicker than others wish he would. If people know we are running we dont have a back that can carry the load and get the first. I remember having a sigh of relief in N.Y. when we went empty backfield on 3rd and 1 (That should say somthing). Our lack of running game also shows up in the redzone. How many turnovers have we had with good field postion for our O. It was stated in the opener by Al Micheals Spurrier ran the ball more than any other coach in the redzone in 02, he is not running this year for a reason. Im not postive but on most of Mcants touchdowns are they not on 3rd down after two failed running plays?

How many times did Dallas have 8 in the box? I like rock but lets not get carried away as skins fans this kind of reminds me of all the people who think Skaggs should be our 3rd reciever:doh: I hope we keep rock he is a good role player and that is what this team needs. I hope he devolops and I guess their is nothing wrong with hoping I just have a strong OPINION, it may be wrong it wont be the first time.

Spurrier also gets away from the run because in most games the OL would allow Ramsey to be crushed, which led to fumbles, which led to being behind early on.

Then we shift to that schoolyard "everybody go deep' mentality.

The one game he inexcusably got away from the run was the Saints game.

~Bang

Archived