Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Those were the days...(a pictorial)

Looking through these pictures is a weird feeling. RGIII’s rookie year was nearly a decade ago, Marty Schottenheimer was coach a decade before that, and one more decade back we were Super Bowl champions. As someone who was too young to remember the super bowl years and can only view them through pictures, it’s crazy to think those great times were actually real events not that long ago and just as vivid in some of your minds as the 2005 Monday Night Miracle is in mine. 

Edited by RansomthePasserby
  • Like 6

On 8/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, RansomthePasserby said:

Looking through these pictures is a weird feeling. RGIII’s rookie year was nearly a decade ago, Marty Schottenheimer was coach a decade before that, and one more decade back we were Super Bowl champions. As someone who was too young to remember the super bowl years and can only view them through pictures, it’s crazy to think those great times were actually real events not that long ago and just as vivid in some of your minds as the 2005 Monday Night Miracle is in mine. 

Thank you for sharing Ransom!

I have always respected members who became fans after our SuperBowl years because it has to be difficult to support the team post Jack Kent Cooke.  Unfortunately, I missed out on the John Riggin’s/Hogs years but was fortunate enough to experience the SuperBowl seasons of 88’ and 92’.  I remember my family and friends reminiscing over our first Superbowl victory and sharing memories of the Hogs dominating the line of scrimmage with John Riggins running his way into Redskin folklore.  They would chat about the high-powered air horn smuggled into Rose Bowl stadium, 40-Gut and of course beating Dallas in the post-season.

I am not sure if you have seen the NFL networks America’s Game SuperBowl series highlighting the 83, 87 and 91 teams but they are worth watching and provides a decent glimpse of those historical and amazing runs.

• Like 4

Hard to believe this thread has been around as long as it has and I didn't see one mention of one of the most tense and exciting moments that I can remember in my Fandom.

The 1987 nfc championship game.

If I wasn't in my early teens I honestly think I would have had a heart attack at the conclusion of that game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am not sure if you have seen the NFL networks America’s Game SuperBowl series highlighting the 83, 87 and 91 teams but they are worth watching and provides a decent glimpse of those historical and amazing runs.

I have!  Great videos, they give a taste of what it was like, but I can’t imagine the feeling of pride us fans must have had back then. I became a fan as a kid growing up in Northern VA in the early 90s, Gus Frerotte is the first quarterback I can remember, and I think the area still believed in the team from the Super Bowl years.

This young and hungry defense has me excited and looking forward to the season, we’ll get there again!

• Like 1