Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ā 

Getting rid of Davis somehow - this has to happen.Ā  By all accounts he's looked like dog**** this spring, there's no chance he can be a productive player.Ā  They can't let him play out the rest of this contract.Ā  Something has to give.Ā  And he's already ****ing hurt, too.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t see how they can justify keeping him. The money is already gone, and with his historically bad performance,Ā you canā€™t just ride it out. Heā€™s not going to another team where he will hurt you while you are paying him. There is no value to having him on the team. None!Ā 

50 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Ā 

I donā€™t see how they can justify keeping him. The money is already gone, and with his historically bad performance,Ā you canā€™t just ride it out. Heā€™s not going to another team where he will hurt you while you are paying him. There is no value to having him on the team. None!Ā 

Ā 

You and I and the rest of the ES Tailgate provided more value than Davis did last season.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

Ā 

Ā 

Money may not be 100% gone if he's willing to take a buyout.Ā  Even 75% of his original salary is substantial savings for the Os.Ā  So I'd play him for a few months, and maybe he ends up hating it so much he would approach Elias about retirement.Ā Ā Ā Ā  Since we won't be winning many games anyway, its wouldn't really affect the Os to much to stick him atĀ DH at least part time which is usually a vet anyway.Ā 

Ā 

Of course thatĀ cant go on line indefinitely.Ā  At a certain point, MLB might get involved (at least behind the scenes) if Davis continues to be terrible and the O's keep playing him.Ā  But it could be a matter of who's willing to blink first.Ā 

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There is no reason for CD to take a buyout and no reason for him to retire. That money is 100% gone.Ā 

Ā 

Sure there is.Ā  The O's can force CD to at least go through the motions of being a MLB player for the next 4 years.Ā  They are not obligated to cut him due to performance reasons.Ā  Especially since they probably aren't going to be competitive for the next 3 years at least, that is one card the Os are holding.Ā  Ā If its true about CD really hating baseball, he might not want to be forced to play.

• Like 1

I mean if the objective is to never attract free agents again, sure they could treat CD like crap. I'm not sure that would resonate well with the players within the club house either. "Listen Chris, we are going to force you to sit on the bench or play some games to make you suffer while you earn $20 million this season."
Frankly if the O's wasted time doing that for the next 4 years, I'd stop being a fan. Ownership has no one to blame but themselves.Ā 

Ā 

By next season, Mountcastle will be the starting first baseman or potentially Mancini with Mountcastle DHing.Ā 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ā 

You and I and the rest of the ES Tailgate provided more value than Davis did last season.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I know this is true. I went up for a game last year and they beat the Yankees. So I did my part that day and helped the team win.Ā 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ā 

Sure there is.Ā  The O's can force CD to at least go through the motions of being a MLB player for the next 4 years.Ā  They are not obligated to cut him due to performance reasons.Ā  Especially since they probably aren't going to be competitive for the next 3 years at least, that is one card the Os are holding.Ā  Ā If its true about CD really hating baseball, he might not want to be forced to play.

Ā 

So they would force him to play just to try to make him so unhappy he'll quit?Ā  Ā The chances of that are 0.00%.Ā  Not to mention it's a terrible way to do business.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Ā 

So they would force him to play just to try to make him so unhappy he'll quit?Ā  Ā The chances of that are 0.00%.Ā  Not to mention it's a terrible way to do business.

Ā 

I think the players association would have something to say about an MLB team doing whatever they could do to make a player miserable.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Something has to give this year if he's still terrible.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ā 

I think the players association would have something to say about an MLB team doing whatever they could do to make a player miserable.Ā Ā 

ļ»æ Ā 

Something has to give this year if he's still terrible.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I'd love for the MLBPA to say that:Ā "We object to the Baltimore Orioles forcing Chris Davis to actually fufill his contract and play baseball"Ā 

Ā 

Granted if they tried to do something a bit shady like make him pitch would be one thing (I'm not sure what his contract says about that)

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

I mean if the objective is to never attract free agents again, sure they could treat CD like crap. I'm not sure that would resonate well with the players within the club house either. "Listen Chris, we are going to force you to sit on the bench or play some games to make you suffer while you earn $20 million this season."
Frankly if the O's wasted time doing that for the next 4 years, I'd stop being a fan. Ownership has no one to blame but themselves.Ā 

Ā ļ»æ

By next season, Mountcastle will be the starting first baseman or potentially Mancini with Mountcastle DHing.Ā 

Ā 

Why would it be so controversial for the Os to expect CD to fufill his contract?Ā  They work both ways you know

Ā 

Maybe they could just stop paying him because they're "unhappy" about his performance.Ā 

Ā 

I'd be totally on the Os side if they do that.Ā  Ā In fact, I'd lose a little respect for them if they didn't.Ā  Ā Its become a little tiresome seeing fat cat players mailing it in after signing a big contract.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

15 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ā 

I'd love for the MLBPA to say that:Ā "We object to the Baltimore Orioles forcing Chris Davis to actually fufill his contract and play baseball"Ā 

Ā 

Granted if they tried to do something a bit shady like make him pitch would be one thing (I'm not sure what his contract says about that)

Ā 

Why would it be so controversial for the Os to expect CD to fufill his contract?Ā  They work both ways you know

Ā 

Maybe they could just stop paying him because they're "unhappy" about his performance.Ā 

Ā 

I'd be totally on the Os side if they do that.Ā  Ā In fact, I'd lose a little respect for them if they didn't.Ā  Ā Its become a little tiresome seeing fat cat players mailing it in after signing a big contract.

Ā 

Well, the MLBPA exists to back the players.Ā  If it got to a point where Davis was saying "the Orioles are making me miserable," no matter the situation, I think they'd step in and try to help negotiate.Ā Ā 

Ā 

They certainly can't stop paying him, that contract is guaranteed, but I'm with you on that...it'd be awesome if they could.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

37 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Itā€™s okay to be hopeful for something that will never happenĀ because dreams are important. Having said that, everything you are saying is a complete non-starter and none of it makes sense. These are guaranteed contracts. The Oā€™s wonā€™t actively try to make him miserable. Please stop.

Edited by Hersh

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ Ā 

Ā Itā€™s okay to be hopeful for something that will never happenĀ because dreams are important. Having said that, everything you are saying is a complete non-starter and none of it makes sense. These are guaranteed contracts. The Oā€™s wonā€™t actively try to make him miserable. Please stop.

Ā 

Let's say you hire someone to paint your house for say $1000.Ā  Halfway through, they say they don't feel like painting houses anymore and decides to quit.Ā  Ā Would you say you owed them the full $1000 ?Ā 

14 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ā 

Let's say you hire someone to paint your house for say $1000.Ā  Halfway through, they say they don't feel like painting houses anymore and decides to quit.Ā  Ā Would you say you owed them the full $1000 ?Ā 

Ā 

Seriously, please stop. CD isnā€™t retiring. Your comparison isnā€™t a good oneĀ 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Ā 

Seriously, please stop. CD isnā€™t retiring. Your comparison isnā€™t a good oneĀ 

Ā 

Ehhh, I dunno.Ā  You're probably right.Ā  But if he just goes out and ****s all over himself again this year, it could happen.Ā  Yeah, he's not that old, yeah he's got a lot of money left on the contract but if he's reached the end of his line, he's reached the end of his line.Ā Ā 

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

Would any of you walk away from aĀ $100 million? Didnā€™t think so.

Ā 

If the choice was to spend the next four years doing something that makes me miserable for $100 million vs. taking $50 million (or more) to do nothing, I'd probably take the latter deal.Ā Ā Ā 

29 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ā 

If the choice was to spend the next four years doing something that makes me miserable for $100 million vs. taking $50 million (or more) to do nothing, I'd probably take the latter deal.Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

Paying CD $50 million or more now doesn't save the O's much money at all considering deferred payments/present value calculations. Not to mention it would hamper the O's ability to invest in the actual rebuild. Ready to move on yet?

28 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Ā 

Paying CD $50 million or more now doesn't save the O's much money at all considering deferred payments/present value calculations. Not to mention it would hamper the O's ability to invest in the actual rebuild. Ready to move on yet?

Ā 

I was thinking total value, not literally giving him a $50m check to go away. Ā  Ā They could keep the deferred payments and offer him say, 50% of his base which is for 4/68.Ā  So save $34mĀ which is quite substantial.Ā 

Ā 

Only other situation which is close is Fielder.Ā  When you factor in insurance and the Tigers pitching in, it only came out to about $36m charge to the Rangers I believe.Ā 

Ā 

Edit: Davis base is 17/year or 68 total for the next 4 years.Ā 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Chris Davis should be forced to give the O's back $20 million for being so horrendously bad. I think it sets a bad example for the young kids out there, go play horrible and don't do your job and still get paid tons of money. He's a disgrace to the game. I'd love for a reporter to ask him straight up, "do you think you are earning your contract?" I would so like to see his response.