Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

Anybody going to be watching this Saturday when it kicks off.

Obviously the product will be drastically watered down but some of the coaches and executives have me a little eager to see what kind of product they can put on the field.

Plus its better than no football at all I guess.

I'm going to give it a shot.  Mods might want to merge this into the thread I created a while back or close mine since it's been dead since June 2018:

Not sure which team to "pull for" yet though, or watch.  I haven't really looked at any rosters to see if there are any notable players, just that Josh Johnson was the #1 pick in their QB draft and then signed with us and I don't think is going to be playing in the league anymore.

15 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Anybody going to be watching this Saturday when it kicks off.

Obviously the product will be drastically watered down but some of the coaches and executives have me a little eager to see what kind of product they can put on the field.

Plus its better than no football at all I guess.

Unfortunately they won’t be kicking off, as per  AAF rules.  I guess the ball will be placed on a certain yard line to start a possession instead of having kickoffs. I will probably watch to at least see what it’s about. 

I did a search but didn't see anything. 

My bad.

The xfl was obviously going to be all flash and no substance just like supposedly "pro" wrestling but this seems like it was more set up for football purists.

I'm at least going to check it out.

I wish there were teams in my area though 

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I did a search but didn't see anything. 

My bad.

The xfl was obviously going to be all flash and no substance just like supposedly pro wrestling but this seems like it was more set up for football purists.

I'm at least going to check it out.

I wish there were teams in my area though 

That thread was buried and dead lol.   Found this about some players, still very vague:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/what-is-aaf-football-teams-coaches-notable-players-schedule-for-alliance-of-american-football-league/

Definitely refuse to pull for Orlando because I hate ****face Spurrier.  Was leaning towards the San Diego Fleet or Birmingham Iron.........Memphis?

4 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Unfortunately they won’t be kicking off, as per  AAF rules.  I guess the ball will be placed on a certain yard line to start a possession instead of having kickoffs. I will probably watch to at least see what it’s about. 

It's funny i just researched the league and knew they'd be no kickoffs but still used that word.

Old habits die hard I guess.

Looks like the only REAL connection other than Spurrier is Nick Novak kicking for Birmingham

Interested to see what Singletary can do with another shot at HC too.  

just dawned on me... CBS just carried the SB and now carries direct competition to the NFL with sole control.  Goodell can't be very happy about that.  

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is the Josh Johnson on San Diego, DC's Josh Johnson?

Yes.

I believe he was the first quarterback selected in the draft then we signed him soon after.

I assume he's still going to play but not sure honestly. 

On Nov. 27, Johnson was drafted No. 1 overall by the San Diego Fleet in the Alliance of American Football draft. When the Redskins came calling for his services just a couple of weeks later, it was a no-brainer for Johnson to head to the NFL, but according to Ian Rapoport, Johnson always planned on returning to the AAF. With the season beginning this Saturday however, it looks like that's not going to happen. 

Just now, bearrock said:

The coaching roster looks pretty legit.  Had no idea that such a league even existed.  Thanks for posting about it gents.

Yeah, they actually are trying to put together a legit league and make it somewhat successful.  I know Vince is trying harder to bring the XFL back and make it a better brand, but if you look at the AAF staff, they went out and got actual football people to help build the foundation (former GM Bill Polian, Troy Polamalu, etc.) along with former NFL head coaches.

I'm really hoping they are successful, it would be nice to have a decent brand of football from Feb. thru April/May.  

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Looks like the only REAL connection other than Spurrier is Nick Novak kicking for Birmingham

Interested to see what Singletary can do with another shot at HC too.  

just dawned on me... CBS just carried the SB and now carries direct competition to the NFL with sole control.  Goodell can't be very happy about that.  

Goodell can choke on a bag of dicks.  I saw Trent Richardson was on Birmingham, Zac Stacy (former Rams RB drafted in 2013) in Memphis. 

17 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

It's not necessarily direct competition...it's a spring league.  And Goodell has to know that it's a watered down product.  I'm sure Goodell had a hand in making sure there were no commercials for it during the Super Bowl or something.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's not necessarily direct competition...it's a spring league.  And Goodell has to know that it's a watered down product.  I'm sure Goodell had a hand in making sure there were no commercials for it during the Super Bowl or something.  

Yeah good point, you'd think they would have been itching to put an ad for this during the superbowl especially since it's the same network. 

Goodell probably did put a stop to it.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

but there have been all season.  I remember seeing them while watching a game and being surprised they were being aired on NFL time. 

Yeah it's not 'direct' competition in the sense that they're not playing head to head in the same time slot... I know i work in Auto Parts, and we specialize in Imported vehicles... Even if someone is looking for a Domestic vehicle part, I still don't want to hear about them spending their money elsewhere. 

Just now, redskinss said:

Yeah good point, you'd think they would have been itching to put an ad for this during the superbowl especially since it's the same network. 

Goodell probably did put a stop to it.

Wikipedia does say that a commercial did air for it during the SuperBowl but I don't remember seeing it.  Maybe they aired it earlier in the afternoon during the pregame coverage?

If I've got nothing to do Saturday I'll check it out.

But part of the reason I think we watch the NFL and other sports is because it's a soap opera.  We're invested in these teams, yes, but we're also invested in the players and the drama that surrounds what happens on the field.  We need storylines.  And it's really hard to make that up from scratch when we don't know any of these players and don't have reasons to care about them yet.  

Except Spurrier.  **** that guy.

3 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

but there have been all season.  I remember seeing them while watching a game and being surprised they were being aired on NFL time. 

Yeah it's not 'direct' competition in the sense that they're not playing head to head in the same time slot... I know i work in Auto Parts, and we specialize in Imported vehicles... Even if someone is looking for a Domestic vehicle part, I still don't want to hear about them spending their money elsewhere. 

IIRC, I think the NFL has something to do with this league.  I can't remember what the relationship is specifically but I know there's a lot of former NFL player involved in front office/league office capacities.  And I think there's an agreement that teams can release players to the NFL or something, sort of like a minor leagues for the NFL.  

It's not an outright standalone league like the XFL or the old USFL, I believe there's some sort of an agreement between the two.

I agree but that's what makes this more interesting is that we do have some crossover.

Mike martz was a top flight NFL coach, Mike Singletary is a big NFL name etc.

There is a small fire here they started for us and if we watch we may acquire a few more storylines we want to see play out.

Archived