Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Posting this here because I'm MLB and the other owners. I'm telling Rubenstein that his path to approve comes with breaking up MASN and letting Washington go get their own TV deal. For a few reasons, Washington would make more this way, and they are already paying into profit sharing. Also, if current Nats ownership wants to sell, this increases their value also which is good for all the other franchises.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Be interesting if Os get sold before the Nats...any updates concerning Nationals selling?

Haven't seen that come up in a while, not even anything Leonsis related.  I'm not going to get my hopes up on new Os owner being anymore merciful concerning MASN, but that'd be nice to wish for.

58 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I got some work to do but let me tell you:

The Lerners are great for buying the team from MLB. They are a local ownership group that won us a title. I will forever be thankful to Ted and Mark Lerner.

That said...the last few years have been very sketchy. The Lerners have cheapened up, tightened the purse strings and I was listening to Nats Chat...Al Gaudi seemed very alarmed about the whole scouting fiasco with guys suddenly departing. He was wondering why that would be the case, and in the 2nd to latest episode (Frank Howard) he also muses about the reasoning behind the whole Strasburg "retire / no he's still on our 40 man roster". Again, love the Lerners but that doesn't mean they are immune from criticism. And they very well should be critiqued. They are not flawless, and we shouldn't be blindly defending them whenever someone like Ghiboli or MLB reporters call them out on their ****.

The whole sale issue seems to have gone now, and it doesn't sound like they're selling. In the same vein since the sale talk has died down they seem to be just "going through the motions" so to speak. Again, love the Lerners, but it may be time for them to contemplate another sale process if they're not interested in running the team anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/09/lerner-family-stephen-strasburg-nationals-sale/

You're quoting issues that have been subsequently debunked--by numerous, legitimate sources. Ghroli also said the Lerners are writing personal checks to cover the team finances--which was also blatantly false. What's next, you're going to reference Ken Rosenthal's hit piece? Please do, because, as a professional writer, I will rip that awful, half-assed hate piece to shreds.

As for the payroll, remember 2005-2009 or so, or were you a Yankees fan then? I am little confused by your timeline. This is exactly how they built a winner the first time. This is how the Braves, Astros, Orioles, etc. have built winners. It works.

Following those Nats Chat podcasts--the Nats went out and hired one of the architects that built the current Diamondbacks roster, the person in charge of the Orioles draft, and the Braves top scout. Pretty good hires, roundly praised around baseball. They hired these people to better make use of an area they let lag far too long: video and analytical data.

Likewise, and as is their history, they will spend when it makes sense to. Mark Lerner came out and said it. Mike Rizzo came out and said it. You have no logic behind anything you really post--you just cling to your confirmation bias and stick to old news. It's quite impressive actually. 

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not going to get my hopes up on new Os owner being anymore merciful concerning MASN, but that'd be nice to wish for.

Depends on the other owners here. If the numbers say that as a league, they will make more money if ending the situation. Then it's in their interest to not vote to approve the sale to anyone who doesn't agree to that before taking ownership. 

• Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Posting this here because I'm MLB and the other owners. I'm telling Rubenstein that his path to approve comes with breaking up MASN and letting Washington go get their own TV deal. For a few reasons, Washington would make more this way, and they are already paying into profit sharing. Also, if current Nats ownership wants to sell, this increases their value also which is good for all the other franchises.

I am not sure they're legally able to do that, thanks to that spineless dip**** Selig. But, I am willing to bet there is some kind of stipulation that the MASN nonsense needs to be settled prior to the sale. I'd LOVE to be free of that ****astic network. It might re-ignite the sale, but for now it's dead. It's interesting, too, because Rubenstein was part of Leonsis' team of investors in the Nats last summer. We shall see. I wouldn't be opposed to the Nats getting sold, but the devil you know is sometimes better than the devil you don't

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Be interesting if Os get sold before the Nats...any updates concerning Nationals selling?

Haven't seen that come up in a while, not even anything Leonsis related.  I'm not going to get my hopes up on new Os owner being anymore merciful concerning MASN, but that'd be nice to wish for.

What do you care, aren't you a Yankees fan?

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Depends on the other owners here. If the numbers say that as a league, they will make more money if ending the situation. Then it's in their interest to not vote to approve the sale to anyone who doesn't agree to that before taking ownership. 

I do know, for a fact, the other owners, and Manfred's useless ass, are PISSED over the MASN fiasco. It's why Baltimore has not gotten an ASG in almost 30 years. It will be interesting to see what happens.

@Riggo#44 its not lost on me that I'm now a guest in this thread, but I don't need your permission to post here.  You're acting worse then @CousinsCowgirl84 with Elon, fn chill, dude.

This is new for me, but feels right and at peace in way haven't felt as a sports fan in a while, hard to describe.  I geniuenly want y'all to do well (especially as only local area team that's not my favorite of said sport)...long as you don't get in my way.

I'll be at the August 26th game next year case anyone wants to meet up...i made sure to be at first home game for Harper and Scherzer, this time i just won't be wearing a Nats jersey...

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Riggo#44 its not lost on me that I'm now a guest in this thread, but I don't need your permission to post here.  You're acting worse then @CousinsCowgirl84 with Elon, fn chill, dude.

This is new for me, but feels right and at peace in way haven't felt as a sports fan in a while, hard to describe.  I geniuenly want y'all to do well (especially as only local area team that's not my favorite of said sport)...long as you don't get in my way.

I'll be at the August 26th game next year case anyone wants to meet up...i made sure to be at first home game for Harper and Scherzer, this time i just won't be wearing a Nats jersey...

@Renegade7 getting all defensive about his free speach like Elon….

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel like I'm about to go throughout it being treated as a bandwagoner when I'm just going back to where I started...

I don’t know what this means. If some one suggests I need permission to do something I don’t need permission to do I just look at them strangely and carry on without giving them the “you’re not my mom” speech. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't like you asking me why I care, even if rhetorically.

Honestly, we go back and forth way too much in this thread compared to any other one.

Sorry I didn’t realize I needed your permission to ask a question 

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel like I'm about to go throughout it being treated as a bandwagoner when I'm just going back to where I started...

So you jumped on the Nats bandwagon wagon?

I'm on the train to the caps game. I'm listening to Nats chat podcast. 

gaudi and zuckerman seem kind of toned down on the off-season and say not to expect much. I know I have been eager to spend but they made an argument that we need to hold off on any spending this season. 

They are focusing on 2025 as a big spending year. by that time they will know what they have in crews, house and wood. after that then they will begin to spend. 

until then they will continue to save money. it's not something I've done and zuckerman says there are also people who are itchy to spend within the organization but it does sound like they have a plan in place. 

2024 is going to be a really exciting year and I'm waiting for April. all the callups plus cavalli return. I just want another rotation piece to help out gore and gray. 

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sorry I didn’t realize I needed your permission to ask a question 

So you jumped on the Nats bandwagon wagon?

Now, you're just being a dork.

I was a kid when DC finally got a team and had honest convo with my Dad about switching away from same team as him to follow the local one.  We were terrible for a good while and still stuck through it all the way to the promise land.

I don't like talkin about things that matter to me and having them minimized, but this definitely isn't the thread for this conversation.

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Not sure that's the definition of "ironically".

No it’s the the definition of “no one cares.”

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Depends, I found the Mystics more entertaining because of it.

Opinion though, and OT.  I should probably go, getting the feelin I've overstayed my welcome here.

Would you jump on another teams bandwagon if they had?