Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

31 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Hate that Twitter is down. Saw the box score and thought Gore was injured.

It's working for me.

They really need to look at what Darnell Coles is doing, especially with Ruiz. His BABIP is terrible and getting worse. 

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's not so much the number of guys with .850 OPS from guys who won't be here in 3 weeks, but i haven't seen the improvement from Garcia, Ruiz, or Abrams that I wanted.

One thing in Abrams approach is how he sinks down on his back leg as he swings. So his head moves downward while trying to make contact.

Either needs to start low in his stance, or stay tall to keep that head still. 'Stack and jack' I think FP used to call it.

Ruiz just needs some damn patience. He's in a constant 2 strike mode. Anything close to the zone and he's swinging.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

I hope they get a chance at either Crews or Skenes. I’d hate to hear about the what-if game considering they would have had the number 1 overall prior to the lottery rule change.

I would go Skenes in that scenario. There are a number of bats that’ll be available at #40.

The Skenes/Crews debate in the coming years would be crazy, if both are there at #2 and we have to pick between them

But given the wealth of bats we have in the system it would be really hard to pass on a potential generational pitcher. If we can keep him healthy ....

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

7 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Was available in the Rule 5 draft. We of course selected Thaddeus Ward...

Yep. You’d think it would be easier to hide a pitcher on an 8 man bullpen. But the way Martinez uses his bench, you could easily hide a position player.

That said, I’m not all that mad they passed on this guy. He plays in a hitters league and we’ve had guys who have put up good numbers in the minors that haven’t translated to MLB. I wanted them to take Erik Miller, who was having a solid season last time I checked which was probably late May.

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

For those who can still navigate around Twitter. Talk Nats had something about why Elijah Green hasn’t been playing. Any information would be much appreciated.

They said "undisclosed injury." They had the same approach to Brady House last year.

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Jinx.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Abrams, Crews, Wood at the top of the order will be a track meet. Wood is a basketball player. I never agreed with those who think he’ll have to come off CF. He may because that’s something teams are doing to protect their better players, but he can stay there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Abrams, Crews, Wood at the top of the order will be a track meet

Now factor in Hassell and Green if they develop...

Here's another fun thought:

Skenes, Gore, Gray, Cavalli, Irvin/Rutledge/Bennett with Susana on the way...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Everything and everyone is pointing to Paul Skenes being the #2 pick. I know a lot people want Crews, and he'd be a great pick too, but if Skenes doesn't get you blood racing, I think you might be dead.

the only concern is injuries but if we can get some time out of him it's fine

plus we are already loaded at outfield so we don't really NEED Crews. Then again, the draft is mostly BPA and not for need

25 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Everything and everyone is pointing to Paul Skenes being the #2 pick. I know a lot people want Crews, and he'd be a great pick too, but if Skenes doesn't get you blood racing, I think you might be dead.

I want Skenes. The now having Boras as an agent is the difference today. Yes, be pumped if we get either. Both will be mlb ready fast. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don't think we can go wrong with either Crews or Skenes.  Both seem to have unlimited ceilings.  The catastrophic injury risk is higher with pitchers, so I'd favor hitters in general, but I'd be excited to watch either guy for the next decade +.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

I don't think we can go wrong with either Crews or Skenes.  Both seem to have unlimited ceilings.  The catastrophic injury risk is higher with pitchers, so I'd favor hitters in general, but I'd be excited to watch either guy for the next decade +.  

Also factor in an every day player vs once every five games starter. The hitter is inherently more valuable. That said, we won a World Series off a quality rotation. Can’t argue with the results. 

• Like 1