Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Oh hey, Robles is finally back from his rehab stint.

Yep. They sent down Call. Makes sense to give him ABs in Rochester.

Mason Thompson with another scoreless inning. He hasn’t given up a run in seven June appearances.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ball Security said:

also, Skenes is just carving up Tennessee tonight. I don’t see him getting past Pittsburgh at this rate.

People seem pretty worried about how hard LSU is working Skenes arm late into college games. Pitch counts of 120ish regularly. I understand that worry, but I don't know if that actually correlates to something we should really be scared of?

This is a phenomenal draft class to have a top pick, so I'm pretty excited regardless. Skenes sounds excellent. Our farm has a whole lot of decent arms but none exceptional besides Susana.

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

People seem pretty worried about how hard LSU is working Skenes arm late into college games. Pitch counts of 120ish regularly. I understand that worry, but I don't know if that actually correlates to something we should really be scared of?

This is a phenomenal draft class to have a top pick, so I'm pretty excited regardless. Skenes sounds excellent. Our farm has a whole lot of decent arms but none exceptional besides Susana.

The high pitch counts don’t bother me. If they use him out of the bullpen on short rest, that’s a different story.

• Like 1

Even by craptastic season standards, this is turning into a ****fest

elmo-burning.gif.7f4630fa03ae4cb27d8877365c165ced.gif

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The high pitch counts don’t bother me. If they use him out of the bullpen on short rest, that’s a different story.

From what I've read, he pitches once every 7days, so idk...

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Even by craptastic season standards, this is turning into a ****fest

elmo-burning.gif.7f4630fa03ae4cb27d8877365c165ced.gif

From what I've read, he pitches once every 7days, so idk...

Right, but as the CWS progresses, there may be temptation to take him off schedule. A similar thing happened to Ben McDonald back in the day. But, I think the chances of that happening is slim. I do wonder if he’ll be shut down though and not pitch later this summer. I believe that’s what they did with Jake Bennett.

If we're going to be this bad, and we can't get better than the 7th pick I don't see how it matters if we roll the dice on some AAAA guys and see if we can't get lucky. Hill, Baker, and Alu? Bring em up! Why not move on from Candelario and Robles early? Spending another month waiting gains us what? Would returns be higher if we waited a month?

Maybe the AAAA guys catch fire. Can't hurt our draft pick. Maybe they also suck, can't change our draft pick either.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

If we're going to be this bad, and we can't get better than the 7th pick I don't see how it matters if we roll the dice on some AAAA guys and see if we can't get lucky. Hill, Baker, and Alu? Bring em up! Why not move on from Candelario and Robles early? Spending another month waiting gains us what? Would returns be higher if we waited a month?

Maybe the AAAA guys catch fire. Can't hurt our draft pick. Maybe they also suck, can't change our draft pick either.

In the case of Candelario, Robles, and some relievers, yeah, I think it makes sense to wait. Teams usually make their decisions if they are buyers and sellers closer to the end of July. I think you get more for them then. I think you’ll see Baker and Hill getting starts in LF and CF and Alu/Keiboom getting time at 3B in August. 

There won’t be big returns, but you take fliers for Candelario, Robles, Dickerson, and Edwards. Hell, Jon Lester got us Lane Thomas.

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

For Davey and Hickey.... 

"I'm tired of it. Fix it. We lost the game...." 

Fairly certain they'll all be gone. I think Hickey and Davey are fine, but it looks like we need new voices. Just hope they don't get worse voices...

18 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Is it confirmed we cannot get better than the 7th pick this year? I see rules alluding to teams that pay CBT unable to get a lottery pick one than one year in a row (that’s not us for the last couple years) and teams that receive CBT unable to get a lottery pick for more than two years in a row (that’s also not us). 

We had top 6 picks for two straight years now, but only one of those years was under lottery rules and we don’t seem to meet the criteria above for being disqualified for lottery for next year. Unless I’m reading it wrong. 

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

Is it confirmed we cannot get better than the 7th pick this year? I see rules alluding to teams that pay CBT unable to get a lottery pick one than one year in a row (that’s not us for the last couple years) and teams that receive CBT unable to get a lottery pick for more than two years in a row (that’s also not us). 

We had top 6 picks for two straight years now, but only one of those years was under lottery rules and we don’t seem to meet the criteria above for being disqualified for lottery for next year. Unless I’m reading it wrong. 

I think it’s actually #10 as the earliest we can pick. I understand your point about this being only the 2nd year of the lottery and I had the same question. But I see plugged in guys on Twitter stating that the highest we can pick is 10 (because we are not receivers of revenue sharing). 

52 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I think it’s actually #10 as the earliest we can pick. I understand your point about this being only the 2nd year of the lottery and I had the same question. But I see plugged in guys on Twitter stating that the highest we can pick is 10 (because we are not receivers of revenue sharing). 

I really don’t think that’s accurate. But also having a really hard time finding info on it. Anything you can link to me would be appreciated. I’m super out of the loop on everything since I ditched twitter (which I do highly recommend btw). 

nvm found this, which seems to say something different than what I saw before: https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-rule-changes-with-new-cba

Edited by TheGoodBits

15 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I really don’t think that’s accurate. But also having a really hard time finding info on it. Anything you can link to me would be appreciated. I’m super out of the loop on everything since I ditched twitter (which I do highly recommend btw). 

It’s definitely confusing.

“Teams that receive revenue-sharing payouts can't receive a lottery pick for more than two years in a row and those that don't can't get a top-six choice in consecutive Drafts. Furthermore, a club that's ineligible for the lottery can't select higher than 10th overall. “

Since we can’t pick in the top 6 again, we are ineligible for the lottery. So, at best, we can pick 10th in 2024.

That’s how it’s been interpreted by guys like Jim Callis.

13 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Well I'll be..... Wonder if the Lerner's start listening to offers for the team again. And please announce we're switching networks after this season!

The least resistant path would be for Angelos to sell first.

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

Well, they need to settle 2016-whenever next. 

Yes, 17-2021 next. Then they have to get current.

• Like 1

What a weird pitching issue. By the WHIP stat, our best pitchers for keeping guys off the bases were (excluding DFA'd guys):

In May

Best - Kuhl, Ward, and Harvey.

Worst - Finnegan and Thompson.

In June

Best - Finnegan and Thompson (with Abbott and Weems here too)

Worst - Kuhl, Ward, and Harvey

Instead of "opposite day" is our bullpen operating under "opposite month"? What a weird switch.

6 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Apparently MacKenzie Gore and Victor Robles almost got in a fight in the dugout between innings after Robles let a fly ball drop in front of him. Teammates had to separate them.

Losing 16 of 20 will put everybody on edge. And Gore had a ****ty night after Gray's ****ty night on Monday.