Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

55 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If competitive baseball was key like he said, any offers made by the Lerners don't mean much at this point.  He wouldn’t want to get locked into a decade plus contract and then find out the new owner won't spend to put a winning team together.

Best case would've been sale gets approved over the winter, new owner makes max push to extend Soto and trade him if it doesn't work.  But Nats wanted to maximize the value by trading 2.5 years instead of 2.  For a contender like the Padres, that's pretty meaningful since you get another postseason from Soto by mid season trade.

I would say the best case scenario would be for the new owners to sign him after 2024 and pair him with Hassell in the OF with Wood and Green knocking on the door.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 out of our top 6 players ever were boras clients.  and the one we kept is the most damaged one. 

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah it sucks that we fell apart after 2019 but that was an old team(IIRC oldest roster in baseball). It was the very end of our championship window and Soto just happened to join the team right around that time. Imagine if we had him from like 2012 on like Harper, I think he would have stayed then. Just poopy timing. But happy we were able to get a championship out of it.

Our problem too was if we shipped Harper in the middle of 2018 and got someone like Jordan Alavarz, maybe we would be better situated to win now

also Soto will be in FA in 2 years and if we are in a position with new ownership, we will make another offer to get him back 

I'm no swing expert, but Robles bat path has looked much flatter recently. Hands start low and stay low through the zone.

Been barreling the ball up a lot more. Probably the most in a stretch since his rookie year.

Hassell debut in Wilmington

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

I don’t have to like the Nats anymore.  Your unwritten rules to fandom don’t matter to me.

As a kid, I used to fall asleep with a transistor radio on my pillow listening to the Washington Senators baseball games in the '60s & 70s. I hated it when they left for Texas. And forever hated the Orioles even before the Senators left because they were always better than the Senators. When they left for Texas all my friends started rooting for the O's. I swore I would never do it. My allegiance remained in DC - so I rooted for the Yankees because I knew O's fans hated the Yanks. But it was temporary until the Nats returned to DC. 

Gotta take the good with the bad. But that's me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Riggo#44 changed the title to 2022 Washington Nationals Thread: The New Class (Welcome C.J., Mac-G, Bobby Barrels, Hades, and Sweet Susana!)

Josiah Gray on pace to give up 42 homers...

Good thing he's a rookie--he has time to improve. He absolutely needs a change up--he throw 0 last night. It's a developmental pitch for him, but he needs to us it more. The thing that is so confounding about Gray: 58 ER; 28 HRs. Kind of a "Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" but, Gray doesn't give up a bunch of hits--he basically turns everyone into Kyle Schwarber: Walk, BB, or HR. Despite his high ERA and FIP, his xERA is 4.02 and his xFIP is 4.29--which aren't terrible, especially a rookie. Another thing to consider with Gray is, he's only been a full time pitcher since 2018. When Gray is on, he's so good, when he's off...oh boy...He's really frustrating at this point.

Something addressed on Nats Chat--the number of changeups Nats pitchers are throwing. They're not, despite Hickey and Martinez emphasizing the pitch. They did mention they are monitoring more biomechanics on pitchers more and more, so that's a good sign, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Josiah Gray on pace to give up 42 homers...

Good thing he's a rookie--he has time to improve. He absolutely needs a change up--he throw 0 last night. It's a developmental pitch for him, but he needs to us it more. The thing that is so confounding about Gray: 58 ER; 28 HRs. Kind of a "Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" but, Gray doesn't give up a bunch of hits--he basically turns everyone into Kyle Schwarber: Walk, BB, or HR. Despite his high ERA and FIP, his xERA is 4.02 and his xFIP is 4.29--which aren't terrible, especially a rookie. Another thing to consider with Gray is, he's only been a full time pitcher since 2018. When Gray is on, he's so good, when he's off...oh boy...He's really frustrating at this point.

Something addressed on Nats Chat--the number of changeups Nats pitchers are throwing. They're not, despite Hickey and Martinez emphasizing the pitch. They did mention they are monitoring more biomechanics on pitchers more and more, so that's a good sign, I guess.

Gray’s stuff gets a lot of swings and misses.  Which is a good sign.  Like you said, he is super homer prone.  But he doesn’t labor through innings.  He attacks hitters.  He may end up with a bloated ERA this year, but I like what we have with him going forward for the next 5 years.  If we get good versions of Cavalli and Gore, that will speed up the competitiveness.  It’ll take awhile for the bats to get here though.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Gray getting lit up. My feelings on the pitching coaches aren't a secret. But it's also why at this moment I don't want Cavalli up. 

Yeah, Mark Zuckerman and Al Galdi echoed your assessment. And I am beginning to agree with you, I think it's time for a change--simply because these guys are just not getting better. The sample size is increasing and the improvements are not. I wonder if the new owners will make a change, despite the option being picked up.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Is there any chance that Soto is not as good as we thought before he was traded?  Is there any chance that even a Ken Griffey Jr type career is a reach for him?

What do you mean "even a Ken Griffey Jr career"? That's a pretty good career! 

My prediction is none of these prospects come close to his career. I'd put stone cash that no 2 prospects match his career production.

Injury caveat of course. But he doesn't appear to be too injury prone so far.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Is there any chance that Soto is not as good as we thought before he was traded?  Is there any chance that even a Ken Griffey Jr type career is a reach for him?

Soto does not provide any surplus value in the field and on the base paths like Griffey.  His value is only in his bat.  Which is phenomenal.  His approach, pitch recognition, and discipline is what sets him apart.  And that skill doesn’t age as poorly as others.  There’s little reason to believe he won’t be a 4-8WAR player for the next 10-12 years.  That would put him over 70WAR on the low end with the potential to be over 100+.  Hall of Fame worthy.

9 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah, Mark Zuckerman and Al Galdi echoed your assessment. And I am beginning to agree with you, I think it's time for a change--simply because these guys are just not getting better. The sample size is increasing and the improvements are not. I wonder if the new owners will make a change, despite the option being picked up.

Look at tonight. Two games in a row. We know Corbin is broken. But he and Grey are showing similar issues. It's not contagious. Something is happening with how these pitchers are being worked with that is making this worse. I'd let the pitching coaches go tonight and bring in someone from the outside with fresh eyes. Either from Rochester or off the street. Nothing can be worse than this. 

I think new owners could replace the entire coaching staff including Davey just because they can. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Look at tonight. Two games in a row. We know Corbin is broken. But he and Grey are showing similar issues. It's not contagious. Something is happening with how these pitchers are being worked with that is making this worse. I'd let the pitching coaches go tonight and bring in someone from the outside with fresh eyes. Either from Rochester or off the street. Nothing can be worse than this. 

I think new owners could replace the entire coaching staff including Davey just because they can. 

Dan Haren is someone I’d look to poach from AZ in the offseason.

I feel you on Davey.  

29 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Dan Haren is someone I’d look to poach from AZ in the offseason.

I feel you on Davey.  

I'm open to something bold in the offseason. Right now they need to stop whatever is being coached/taught. Not another day, BP session is alright. Can't wait to do this any longer. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I was just saying tonight that it's likely the new owners blow it all up. I'm hoping and praying, knowing it's a scant chance, Theo Epstein is involved in the winning group

• Like 1