Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pasta-belly: Lavar rejects 'Skins offer for an extension

goldenster95

Copy and paste! It's really not that difficult. Makes it easier for us who don't want to click links all day. ;)

Redskins Looking for Cap Relief

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

For a man who is accustomed to getting his way, Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder is in a slump of sorts, with a second key veteran on his roster having rebuffed attempts at a contract extension that would have provided the franchise much-needed salary cap relief for 2004 and beyond.

League sources told ESPN.com that linebacker LaVar Arrington, the second overall player chosen in the 2000 draft and a two-time Pro Bowl selection, recently rejected a new contract offer. The proposal was for seven years at more than $50 million, and it reportedly included a signing bonus of $13 million to $15 million.

Arrington

It is not yet certain if talks will continue or if the extension will be revisited.

Early in the season, Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency after this season, turned down a nine-year offer worth about $55 million and including a two-tiered signing bonus that totaled roughly $13 million. Assuming the two sides cannot reach an accord, the Redskins will almost certainly use a "franchise" marker on Bailey to limit his offseason mobility.

Reworking Arrington's contract, and perhaps that of left offensive tackle Chris Samuels are key to the Redskins because those players account for such unwieldy salary cap charges in coming seasons. Both players already have redone their original rookie contracts, including this season, to help Washington gain cap relief. Neither, however, seems to be as accommodating this time around.

Arrington, 25, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $6.36 million in 2004. He's also due a roster bonus of $1.5 million next spring, for a total cap charge of $10.672 million. It rises to $10.869 million in 2005 and to $12.013 million in 2006.

While his play in 2003 hasn't been quite up to the level of the past two years, Arrington is still regarded as a premier defender and could earn a third Pro Bowl berth.

Samuels also has struggled at times this season because of injuries and a pass-blocking scheme that has come under fire, but he remains a significant core player. He was taken one spot below Arrington in the 2000 draft, when the 'Skins had two of the top three picks overall. As is the case with Arrington, his contract runs through the '06 campaign.

Team officials huddled earlier this week, at the league meeting in Dallas, with the agent for Samuels, but there was no progress in those discussions.

The cap charges for Samuels are $8.749 million in 2004, $9.642 million for 2005 and $10.3 million for 2006. His 2004 base salary is $5.132 million and he is due a $1 million roster bonus next March.

A failure to secure some degree of cap relief from Arrington and/or Samuels could stymie the Redskins' ability to upgrade the roster for 2004. The team currently has about $74.15 million to next year's cap. Teams were apprised earlier this week that the spending level for 2004 will be about $79 million to $80 million.

At least Lavar responded, and to be honest rarely is the first offer ever accepted, and if it is the gm/owner usually over paid. Its a financial game, it will play out, and Lavar will be a Redskin as long as common ground can be found. Snyder knows if he loses Champ and Lavar that he will have lost D.C. You have to remember he is as much of as fan as any of us here. He knows that half the stadium loses their voices once Big 56 rolls out from under the helmet...and another third when champ strolls through. Lavar will be back.

It's just all part of the negotiation process. Besides, can you blame the guy for wanting to get paid. As long a the 'Skins continue to miss the playoffs and suffer through sub .500 seasons and have mass turnover every year guys are going to want to be paid some serious cash to continue to suffer through it. Otherwise, they just might get sick of it and go somewhere else.

This very well could have been SNyder just throwing a figure out there to see how Lavar wants it tweaked. At this point in time, I would be much more worried about getting Champ resigned since he will be an FA as soon as the Eagles game is over, and Lavar has a few more seasons here until he can even go anywhere. I am not really worried about Lavar anyway, everything I have heard out of him has been about the Redskins, as opposed to Champ.

Besides, can you blame the guy for wanting to get paid. As long a the 'Skins continue to miss the playoffs and suffer through sub .500 seasons and have mass turnover every year guys are going to want to be paid some serious cash to continue to suffer through it.

See, this is the fundamental problem. How can a player use instability as a reason for wanting to leave when he denies the team an opportunity to become stable. What I mean is, the team has shown over last off-season and this one that it is important to keep continuity. If Lavar doesn't want to re-up with the Skins that will just lead to more instability...so he would only have himself to blame.

Originally posted by Cope

At least Lavar responded, and to be honest rarely is the first offer ever accepted, and if it is the gm/owner usually over paid. Its a financial game, it will play out, and Lavar will be a Redskin as long as common ground can be found. Snyder knows if he loses Champ and Lavar that he will have lost D.C. You have to remember he is as much of as fan as any of us here. He knows that half the stadium loses their voices once Big 56 rolls out from under the helmet...and another third when champ strolls through. Lavar will be back.

Lets hope....I would hate to play against LaVar....he would straight punish us....especially if he were on a sick defense where everybody follows assignments. Same with Champ....I dont want him guarding Laveraneus....

MY GOD.

Im sure we dont know the whole story behind this, hell we probably dont even know half of it.

But I just dont understand, if these guys want to win soooo badly and Lavar says he cries after losses and everything and wants to win sooooo bad, then why not just help the team out and take the 50 million. I mean honestly, can he not live of 50 million dollars!?!?!?! Does he really NEED more!?!?!

I love the guy and I think he is crucial for this team to resign, I would probably cry if he left. But I just dont understand the thinking with some of these athletes.

Archived