Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tighten up those Ends: It's a TE thread......

NoCalMike

So we have a QB thread, WR thread, Defense thread....etc etc.....I figured why not have a thread about the Tight Ends.

It's only been two games, but so far a seemingly healthy Jordan Reed, ageless wonder Vernon Davis, & Jeremy "the other one" Sprinkle have been virtual ghosts on the field.  If there was any unit on offense I figured would get good stats it would be this one. Reed when healthy was never a guy who didn't change the offense, Vernon Davis still got open all over the field and downfield when he had to play as the starter.  Sprinkle? Well..he did catch that one TD pass that one time.

Just what the hell is going on with this position?  Is it too early to panic?  Alex Smith always threw to Kelce like his life depended on it.

Is there anything on film anyone has noticed that would explain why the TE's have had awful production thus far?

I think around week 7 Smith will start to rely heavily on TEs.

Davis still has the tools, when he gets the ball he seems to get big chunks of yardage.

Reed entered the league hot, and was in the top 3 TEs, but those damn nagging injuries are stopping him from being re-born.  Hope he stays healthy.

Honestly I don't think Smith has chemistry with anyone yet. It may be one of those seasons where they get on a roll in the 2nd half of the season.

TE's are not no-shows.  Playcalling is not going to them enough. I think you're reaching @NoCalMike, think we need a couple more weeks before saying they are screwing up, too (and no, I really don't think they are).  If anything Reed is looking as good and healthy as he ever has, has taken some solid shots over the middle and kept on ticking.  He's a bright spot right now.

47 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Well if you consider Reed better than any WR on this team, which I currently think is pretty accurate, you'd think he would be getting targeted a hell of  lot more. 

You would think, Jay just admitted he's doing a crappy job of playcalling. 

Another thing I've started to realize about offenses that can't convert 3rd downs, we end up seeing less targets and carries and we think its because we don't want to get the ball to A or we obviously don't want to run the ball.  We did want to run the ball, we couldn't and got dominated on time of possession.  I think we should target Reed more, he's obviously our best receiver and redzone target.  Do and make them try to stop it, stop getting cute.  Cheifs have had offenses that weren't WR dominant but still dominant, we may just have to except our fate of who we really are this year, stop running from it.

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Do and make them try to stop it, stop getting cute.  Cheifs have had offenses that we're WR dominant but still dominant, we may just have to except our fate of who we really are this year, stop running from it.

Yep and you see all the time around the NFL, if there is someone who is consistently getting open, they get thrown the ball. The hell with spreading it around if other guys are not getting open. Sometimes it only lasts a quarter or a half and then the defense adjusts, but tight end seems to be one of those positions in the NFL where any team that has a Top 10 (Maybe Top 5?) caliber one constantly finds them good mismatches throughout the game.  That is the Jordan Reed I remember before all his injuries set in.  Maybe he just isn't 100% yet?

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Maybe he just isn't 100% yet?

Like I said, I think Reed is fine and we just aren't getting him the ball.  I edited my post for clarity, Cheifs are notorious for having powerful offenses that didn't have great WRs this century.  From Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzales to Travis Kelce and Kareem Hunt.  Cheifs now have Hill, and I believe that's a reason Mahomes is able to go off like he's doing (we don't have that talent so can't expect those results, but we do have Reed).

I'll be back after the Green Bay game, he has to have a big game, and if he does or doesn't, one of us is right.

Archived