Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Redskins Roster Prediction

CTskin

Bergstrom's been a disappointment, but unless Casey Dunn shines in the next two, they are stuck with him as backup interior. 

I might be happy to see SDH placed on I.R. for a dreaded hangnail. He needs to be retained, but with Spaight and JHC, they really shouldn't need him to play this season. Save the roster spot for someone else. 

I think Taylor is out mostly because even though Payne can play DE they mostly want him at nose and DT in nickel.  That means Settle and Taylor would be two dedicated NT and one mostly NT.  That's not enough DE depth.

We'll definitely keep four RB cause Gruden flat out said he'd like for Thompson to have a backup.

We kept ten OL in 2015.  After last year's injuries and with the supposed unreadiness of Geron Christian I thought maybe we keep ten this year.  With Christian out there playing early he might be better than expected and we might go with nine.

If the Skins go with nine OL I can see us keeping more defensive players than offensive which could take care of the question of which ILB we keep

DL is going to be interesting, especially with McGee on PUP.  If Payne mostly plays DE and DT, I could see Taylor making it.  Probably doesn’t beat out Hood though, so they’d have to keep 7.  Of course, who knows about health the next couple of weeks...

Not a prediction here, but I wonder if there’s any chance the team keeps 4 OLB and Robertson makes it ahead of McPhee.  Doesn’t seem likely, but the team seems kinda high on him, and he probably offers more in terms of ST.  

Tough to see Vigil make it unless they keep 5 ILBs.  

Alexander is an interesting one at corner... not sure keeping him would be the right move if it means sacrificing a player they like at a different spot.  With that said, there aren’t many guys I’m worried about them giving up on/cutting.  Probably the closest would be Sims, Hamilton and Kalis.  I will say that I’m intrigued by Blanding and he might fit in that group.  

Pretty close to what I have.  Only changes would be to cut kalis, vigil, and speight, and add sdh, blanding, and hood. 

Speight is a tough one to cut since our main priority is to be better vs the run, and speight does a great job in that regard.  But jhc can be great in his role, and I like sdh potential for the future.  As Ive mentioned before, I wish they found a way to keep sdh on pup as he "recovers" from his knee injury from last year, since he is very green this is essentially a redshirt year, and speight could've been a helpful contributor in 2018.

I'm ok with Bergstrom as backup center.  He will have moments where he gets beat, but has been pretty solid over his career, and I highly doubt we find a better backup option off the scrap heap after cuts.  

Catalina makes it over kalis due to versatility, but I hope the skins scour the wire to upgrade lg position, and Catalina would be the one to go in a corresponding move 

I want hood on the team.  Veteran presence in a unit with a lot of youth.  His leadership is key, and his performance as a nt in the past is irrelevant, he will not be there this year.  With Payne playing a lot of de, Taylor has to be kept if healthy, but I am not expecting him to finish the season.  

I like blandings long term potential and hope he makes it.  I think he would get scooped by another team if he was cut.

As for wr, I agree with giving Sims a shot over quick, I just hope Sims can contribute on ST, because that was quicks true value.  I read Sims was working as a Gunner, so hope he is looking good in that regard

If skins are very impressed with Robertson, I hope they don't let McPhee go to replace, unless it seems McPhee has lost a step.  I feel mcphee has a lot of value off the bench, as he has proven to be adequate vs both the run and pass in his career.  If we need to find a spot for Robertson, I would think about keeping 3 rbs, especially since we are now bringing them off the street and that 4th rb will be very replaceable.  Keep Kelley, Perine, and CT, assuming all are healthy week one, and if one of them gets banged up down the road, then maybe we can make a better decision in who to cut out of blanding vs hood vs Robertson vs Sims etc 

16 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Pretty close to what I have.  Only changes would be to cut kalis, vigil, and speight, and add sdh, blanding, and hood. 

Speight is a tough one to cut since our main priority is to be better vs the run, and speight does a great job in that regard.  But jhc can be great in his role, and I like sdh potential for the future.  As Ive mentioned before, I wish they found a way to keep sdh on pup as he "recovers" from his knee injury from last year, since he is very green this is essentially a redshirt year, and speight could've been a helpful contributor in 2018.

I think Spaight has a leg up on Vigil, and I’m guessing the team isn’t ready to have JHC and SDH as the primary backups.  I think they keep 5.  

I'm ok with Bergstrom as backup center.  He will have moments where he gets beat, but has been pretty solid over his career, and I highly doubt we find a better backup option off the scrap heap after cuts.  

I don’t disagree that he makes it since I don’t see a viable backup C on the roster otherwise, but I have trouble believing he’s been “solid” over his career given the FA interest, or lack thereof.  Especially given his versatility.  

Catalina makes it over kalis due to versatility, but I hope the skins scour the wire to upgrade lg position, and Catalina would be the one to go in a corresponding move 

Thong is, we have 4 tackles even without Catalina (or Clemmings), so I’m inclined toward Kalis if he’s the better guard.  

I want hood on the team.  Veteran presence in a unit with a lot of youth.  His leadership is key, and his performance as a nt in the past is irrelevant, he will not be there this year.  With Payne playing a lot of de, Taylor has to be kept if healthy, but I am not expecting him to finish the season.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if the all made the cut and then McGee replaces an injured DL down the road.  

I like blandings long term potential and hope he makes it.  I think he would get scooped by another team if he was cut.

Yeah, I like his potential.  He probably needs to really shine on teams though given Apke and Everett.  

As for wr, I agree with giving Sims a shot over quick, I just hope Sims can contribute on ST, because that was quicks true value.  I read Sims was working as a Gunner, so hope he is looking good in that regard

Hope so.  I’m thinking they find a way to keep him even if he doesn’t show much on ST.  I think we may have enough ST gunners and such with Everett, Apke, and a few others.  I could be wrong of course.  I think Harris, Sims and Quinn represent capable (and perhaps better) depth for our 3 starters.  

If skins are very impressed with Robertson, I hope they don't let McPhee go to replace, unless it seems McPhee has lost a step.  I feel mcphee has a lot of value off the bench, as he has proven to be adequate vs both the run and pass in his career.  If we need to find a spot for Robertson, I would think about keeping 3 rbs, especially since we are now bringing them off the street and that 4th rb will be very replaceable.  Keep Kelley, Perine, and CT, assuming all are healthy week one, and if one of them gets banged up down the road, then maybe we can make a better decision in who to cut out of blanding vs hood vs Robertson vs Sims etc 

I think McPhee is clearly our better OLB on paper, but if the Anderson shows big improvement, the team really likes Robertson and he performs better on ST... McPhee would be my big surprise cut.  

As as to the backs, I think they almost have to keep Marshall or Bibbs (maybe even both) to replace Thompson if needed.  ‘Have to’ might be a bit strong, but I do think Gruden likely sees it that way.  I’m thinking they keep 4, especially since Marshall/Bibbs can fill in on 1st/2nd down, unlike Thompson.  (Not that Thompson can’t, but it’s not wise, and almost certainly a waste, to use him that way).  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

DL is going to be interesting, especially with McGee on PUP.  If Payne mostly plays DE and DT, I could see Taylor making it.  Probably doesn’t beat out Hood though, so they’d have to keep 7.  Of course, who knows about health the next couple of weeks...

34 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Quick question; Why does anyone think that Payne is going to be playing DE? Ever? I mean. He's a NT/DT, and that is where he has been playing. He's not going go replace either Allen of Io at DE in base, right? And in pass rushing, you're in a 4-3 most of the time. You're not taking Smith or  Kerrigan off to move him to end, or are you? I think it's time to reconsider. Payne is your 3-4 NT. Period. He'll move to a 4-3 DT, unless we go with Lanier and Allen at DT, and he will be off the field. Short yardage is likely a 4-3 with Payne and Settle at DT.

But he's not playing DE.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

As as to the backs, I think they almost have to keep Marshall or Bibbs (maybe even both) to replace Thompson if needed.  ‘Have to’ might be a bit strong, but I do think Gruden likely sees it that way.  I’m thinking they keep 4, especially since Marshall/Bibbs can fill in on 1st/2nd down, unlike Thompson.  (Not that Thompson can’t, but it’s not wise, and almost certainly a waste, to use him that way).  

Valid point.  And I like byron marshall, but I feel those types are always available late in the draft or as udfa.  And often the 4th rb is inactive on game day.  So do we hang onto a marshall as the 4th rb, even though there isn't much of a drop off from him to guys off the scrap heap, and in turn cut a promising young player in turn? Tough call. I would rather roll with 3 rbs on game day, with potentially only one CT type being active (CT himself), and bring in a similar type to backup CT if he gets banged up down the road, just so we can buy some more time with some of the younger guys.  I feel the ceiling for some of those younger guys at other positions is higher than marshall/Bibbs, so I'd like for them to be more confident before letting one of them go.  But if I had to place a bet, I bet they would keep 4 rbs, I just hope we don't sacrifice young potential to keep a very replaceable player.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Quick question; Why does anyone think that Payne is going to be playing DE? Ever? I mean. He's a NT/DT, and that is where he has been playing. He's not going go replace either Allen of Io at DE in base, right? And in pass rushing, you're in a 4-3 most of the time. You're not taking Smith or  Kerrigan off to move him to end, or are you? I think it's time to reconsider. Payne is your 3-4 NT. Period. He'll move to a 4-3 DT, unless we go with Lanier and Allen at DT, and he will be off the field. Short yardage is likely a 4-3 with Payne and Settle at DT.

But he's not playing DE.

I had read Payne was spending a lot of time not at NT, so I assumed he would get looks as a 3-4 d end and a 4-3 d tackle, but I may have assumed incorrectly.  I would love to see how Payne and Allen as 3-4 ends would do with Taylor or settle in the middle.  Not all the time, but part of the rotational mix.  I definitely think ioannides should and will play a lot of snaps, but I also think rotating guys benefits everyone, so while ioannides and Allen are excellent 3-4 ends, I don't feel that should lead to the Redskins not mixing Payne in there as well, if he has proven effective.  And if payne is getting those looks, then I feel Taylor needs to be on this team, bc if not and settle goes down, then Payne is forced to NT all the time and our flexibility is compromised

I agree, I do not think Payne as a 4-3 d end is a reasonable option, and don't expect him to ever line up there. 

22 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I had read Payne was spending a lot of time not at NT, so I assumed he would get looks as a 3-4 d end and a 4-3 d tackle, but I may have assumed incorrectly.  I would love to see how Payne and Allen as 3-4 ends would do with Taylor or settle in the middle.  Not all the time, but part of the rotational mix.  I definitely think ioannides should and will play a lot of snaps, but I also think rotating guys benefits everyone, so while ioannides and Allen are excellent 3-4 ends, I don't feel that should lead to the Redskins not mixing Payne in there as well, if he has proven effective.  And if payne is getting those looks, then I feel Taylor needs to be on this team, bc if not and settle goes down, then Payne is forced to NT all the time and our flexibility is compromised

I agree, I do not think Payne as a 4-3 d end is a reasonable option, and don't expect him to ever line up there. 

Taylor is injured again, and Hood is playing very well at DE, where he is supposed to be. I really see no reason to put our best NT at DE just for ****s and giggles.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, Morneblade said:

I think Hood is a lock, he was with the first teamers last night and looked good at his natural position.

Phil Taylor has not played a snap I don't think , I'm thinking he is the odd man out.

Edit: I might put Hamilton over Virgil as well.

Hard to disagree about Hood. I understand that he played out of position the last two years, but his back-to-back rating as worst DL in the league has me soured. Phil is finally returning from injury and is definitely the better player if healthy, huge IF. Coaches love Hood, so he will likely make it, this was just my roster preference.

I liked the SDH pick but thought he was very bad vs the jets so id prefer to red shirt him. Will certainly keep an eye on him over the next couple preseason games, id like to change my mind. Vigil was rated something like top 5 ILB vs pass last year, which is why I gave him the nod. 

EDIT- bringing in Jamaal Charles today and AP tomorrow, so hopefully one of them sticks.

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Valid point.  And I like byron marshall, but I feel those types are always available late in the draft or as udfa.  And often the 4th rb is inactive on game day.  So do we hang onto a marshall as the 4th rb, even though there isn't much of a drop off from him to guys off the scrap heap, and in turn cut a promising young player in turn? Tough call. I would rather roll with 3 rbs on game day, with potentially only one CT type being active (CT himself), and bring in a similar type to backup CT if he gets banged up down the road, just so we can buy some more time with some of the younger guys.  I feel the ceiling for some of those younger guys at other positions is higher than marshall/Bibbs, so I'd like for them to be more confident before letting one of them go.  But if I had to place a bet, I bet they would keep 4 rbs, I just hope we don't sacrifice young potential to keep a very replaceable player.

Personally, I think I’d rather Marshall or Bibbs be the 3rd active back so they can play all 3 downs if need be (not that Kelley or Perine are ‘incapable’ of course, just not their forte... though both have shown a bit in the pass game).  I also think that Bibbs/Marshall are maybe better ‘change ups’ to whoever starts (I’m assuming Kelley at this point).  Totally agree though about not wanting to sacrifice an up and coming player at a different position to keep a back that we may well be able to replace/find in season.  

@Morneblade

He might have been referring to the below tweet.  Kind of amazing that Io was an absolute stud at DT last year (rushing the passer), and yet I could see him moved to more of a situational role.  

I’m wondering if they go something like this - 

4 down linemen:

1st down, 2nd and less than 8 (or so), and 3rd and short - Smith Allen Payne Kerrigan 

2nd and long, 3rd and long (more than 4) - Smith Allen Ioannidis Kerrigan

3 down linemen:

Short yardage - Allen Settle/Taylor Payne

Long yardage - Allen Payne Ioannidis 

BTW, this group of interior linemen, with Kerrigan and Smith setting the edges and Brown/Foster/Swearinger behind them... I’m thinking are our run D might just make a crazy turnaround.  

Had a member of the Redskins tell me Payne is their best defensive lineman and is giving the OL fits. Hasn’t seen a guy challenge Scherff like that in practice. Also mentioned he’s starting at DE, not NT like many thought.

24 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Hard to disagree about Hood. I understand that he played out of position the last two years, but his back-to-back rating as worst DL in the league has me soured. Phil is finally returning from injury and is definitely the better player if healthy, huge IF. Coaches love Hood, so he will likely make it, this was just my roster preference.

I liked the SDH pick but thought he was very bad vs the jets so id prefer to red shirt him. Will certainly keep an eye on him over the next couple preseason games, id like to change my mind. Vigil was rated something like top 5 ILB vs pass last year, which is why I gave him the nod. 

EDIT- bringing in Jamaal Charles today and AP tomorrow, so hopefully one of them sticks.

Oh, I get that part about Hood. But try putting Kerrigan at MLB and see how bad he is? I've watched Hood before he got here, and he was a good, if not great 3-4 DE. He got times with the ones last week, and he was good. He stuffed his side of the line, bigtime. I like him backing up Matty Io.

19 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Morneblade

He might have been referring to the below tweet.  Kind of amazing that Io was an absolute stud at DT last year (rushing the passer), and yet I could see him moved to more of a situational role.  

I’m wondering if they go something like this - 

4 down linemen:

1st down, 2nd and less than 8 (or so), and 3rd and short - Smith Allen Payne Kerrigan 

2nd and long, 3rd and long (more than 4) - Smith Allen Ioannidis Kerrigan

3 down linemen:

Short yardage - Allen Settle/Taylor Payne

Long yardage - Allen Payne Ioannidis 

BTW, this group of interior linemen, with Kerrigan and Smith setting the edges and Brown/Foster/Swearinger behind them... I’m thinking are our run D might just make a crazy turnaround.  

Had a member of the Redskins tell me Payne is their best defensive lineman and is giving the OL fits. Hasn’t seen a guy challenge Scherff like that in practice. Also mentioned he’s starting at DE, not NT like many thought.

So, why take Matt Ioannidis out on short yardage? And I doubt we go 3-4 in short yardage, you want beef in there, depending on the offensive allignment. Much more likely a 4-3 with Allen/Settle/Payne/Ioannidis.

Also, Taylor is still hurt, I find it hard to see him having the coaches trusting him to be healthy. And, that means you have to cut someone? How many DL do you keep if you keep 3 NT's. Doing this just hopes up a host of issues.

Already addressed Scherff

Nothing I've seen, in TC, depth chart or Preseason games has shown me that he's played anything else but NT/DT. So I don't give that last anonymous inside information much credence.

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

So, why take Matt Ioannidis out on short yardage? And I doubt we go 3-4 in short yardage, you want beef in there, depending on the offensive allignment. Much more likely a 4-3 with Allen/Settle/Payne/Ioannidis.

Also, Taylor is still hurt, I find it hard to see him having the coaches trusting him to be healthy. And, that means you have to cut someone? How many DL do you keep if you keep 3 NT's. Doing this just hopes up a host of issues.

Have we played Allen and Io as ends in a 4 man line?  If so, then sure, makes sense.  If it’s between our usual type of 3 man line vs 4 man line, I like the one I mentioned.  

Already addressed Scherff

Nothing I've seen, in TC, depth chart or Preseason games has shown me that he's played anything else but NT/DT. So I don't give that last anonymous inside information much credence.

Payne you mean?  Yeah, I have no idea, but I’d say it’s a possibility at least.  Don’t know the tweeter, but it is interesting that he said it came from a Redskin.  Just hypothetically, I could see them liking Settle or Taylor at NT and Payne at DE better than Payne at NT and Hood or McGee at DE.  

No idea if Taylor sticks (could see it going either way), just mentioned him in case he does.  If you consider Taylor, Settle and Payne as not being able to play DE (or being upgrades over Hood/McGee), I can understand your perspective all the more.  

Edit:  came across this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/28/17132626/nfl-draft-2018-daron-payne-breakdown

Ex-dlineman that thinks Payne would make a better DE than NT.  I don’t put too much stock into it because he watched a small sample size and playing doesn’t make him a professional scout, but... it’s an interesting take (and maybe not too outlandish). 

Well, I guess let's breakdown the big differences between the role of this scheme's NT and DE then?

We're talking primarily 1 gap, so what are the major differences? Hand in dirt from the 0-1 gaps, taking on interior OL, or further out at the 4-5 gaps taking on OTs. Offensive schemes will dictate when or where OL will double up on someone. Payne has the length at 6' 3" and 33" arms to play either, and we see has the burst to rush the QB when tasked with pinning ears back. He has the girth and brute strength at 311 lbs for NT, and he's not too tall to struggle with balance at his height. 

I don't know why he couldn't see snaps at either position. Anyone? 

17 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Well, I guess let's breakdown the big differences between the role of this scheme's NT and DE then?

We're talking primarily 1 gap, so what are the major differences? Hand in dirt from the 0-1 gaps, taking on interior OL, or further out at the 4-5 gaps taking on OTs. Offensive schemes will dictate when or where OL will double up on someone. Payne has the length at 6' 3" and 33" arms to play either, and we see has the burst to rush the QB when tasked with pinning ears back. He has the girth and brute strength at 311 lbs for NT, and he's not too tall to struggle with balance at his height. 

That's exactly my point.  If he can be effective at 3-4 d end, and sources say he has worked there in practice, then having him play both end and NT will allow us to give different looks with various personnel groupings, give more flexibility in case of injuries in the future, and allow to keep guys fresh through rotating. Payne may be our best NT, but I don't think that should prevent him from getting snaps at d end if he has proven effective there.  Also allows settle/Taylor to be on field with Payne at the same time, which could end up being part of our best d line combination.

Defense will be exciting to watch.

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Generally agree here, but 34 DEs are usually from 3-5 techs, right?  If an OT is taking them on, doesn’t that mean they’re leaving a TE on the OLB?

Here's an update to mine

image.png.81f3976c5d8858274057bfb3e1392465.png

From the OP, there's no way that Ziggy Hood doesn't make the team. Phil Taylor is out because Settle looks good. RB situation is in flux because of AP and Charles.

Honestly starting to think they put Alexander on IR but not sure. I do not like our lack of safety depth if someone is injured. That's why I think we teach Alexander both Safety and CB and let him float/be a backup.

They've raved about SDH and how smart he is. I think he makes the team. OP had him out.

7 minutes ago, Guardshock said:

Honestly starting to think they put Alexander on IR but not sure. I do not like our lack of safety depth if someone is injured. That's why I think we teach Alexander both Safety and CB and let him float/be a backup.

Lack of safety depth? I don't know that agree with that. I have no quarrel with Everett, Apke, or even Ladler making this team. 

22 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Have we played Allen and Io as ends in a 4 man line?  If so, then sure, makes sense.  If it’s between our usual type of 3 man line vs 4 man line, I like the one I mentioned.  

Payne you mean?  Yeah, I have no idea, but I’d say it’s a possibility at least.  Don’t know the tweeter, but it is interesting that he said it came from a Redskin.  Just hypothetically, I could see them liking Settle or Taylor at NT and Payne at DE better than Payne at NT and Hood or McGee at DE.  

No idea if Taylor sticks (could see it going either way), just mentioned him in case he does.  If you consider Taylor, Settle and Payne as not being able to play DE (or being upgrades over Hood/McGee), I can understand your perspective all the more.  

Edit:  came across this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/3/28/17132626/nfl-draft-2018-daron-payne-breakdown

Ex-dlineman that thinks Payne would make a better DE than NT.  I don’t put too much stock into it because he watched a small sample size and playing doesn’t make him a professional scout, but... it’s an interesting take (and maybe not too outlandish). 

I think Taylor doesn't stick for 2 reasons, NT is not the huge hole it used to be, and he's not healthy. I LIKE Phil, it just seems like his body is working against him.

As for DE, this is why I don't think it makes sense. First, he's your staring NT, the position that we're been terrible at for years, and it looks like he's going to make it great. This is the only way I can see saying Payne would be a better DE than NT. If you play a 2 gap scheme, and Payne is lining up at the 0 tech all the time, then I don't think he's going to be great. He's not a 350 pound Vince Wilfork that can just take on double teams and stand them up, and cover both 1 gaps. So, in that scheme, I don't think he's a good fit. In our scheme, I think he's perfect. And it seems that he might have the first step to be really disruptive, and I think that can translate over to DE in the 3-4, playing a 3 or 4 tech.

12 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

While I think he could play either, I don't think it's a good idea if he does. As nice as Settle has looked, he's not Payne at NT. You move Payne out of the middle, we're going to get exploited there, again, for the 9th straight year. I'm tired of seeing that. And I don't want to ruin my TV by throwing a chair into it. If we had another NT that was just as good, but didn't have the ability to move, I would move Payne to DE. On this team though, we've got talent and depth at the DE spot. So, while I think Payne could play either, on this team I don't see that happening. Short yardage package being an exception.

Archived