Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

This is really really bad.

The present SCOTUS already doesn't seem to particularly care about defending free and fair elections, but they haven't struck the death blow to the wall holding back those who would basically end free and fair elections via gerrymandering and suppression either.

Another Neil Gorsuch, however, would.  I suspect Kennedy was moderating some of the rightward thrust of the decisions despite going along with them (think McCain, Collins, Flake, etc.).

And once free and fair elections go...well, America is finished.

Also, that's to say nothing of all the other bad stuff they could do.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Elections have consequences.  Swing of the court wasn't enough to convince enough voters in battleground states to pick Clinton.  I wonder if there are more single issue voters against Roe than for.  In any event, Roberts may swing to preserve Roe, but undo any meaningful protection under Casey (which would be a worse result politically for pro-choice because people will think that abortion is still legal, when in all practical effect, it won't be).  

So will GOP allow abortion in case of rape or health of the mother?  If all abortion is murder, I'm not sure how you can justify that distinction.  A parent can't abuse a child because the child was conceived as a result of rape nor can a parent pluck an organ from their child for the parent's benefit right?  

Hopefully this will galvanize the vote, especially among women, in November. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

They should just refuse any nomination until after the next election.  Only fair.

it's not a Presidential election year, thus not lame duck.

but they are free to do as they wish

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

They should just refuse any nomination until after the next election.  Only fair.

Sadly, Dems don't hold the power here.  Republicans killed the one tool they had when Gorsuch went up.  A far right zealot will sit on the court in Kennedy's place likely no later than 2 months before the elections.

However, I think depending on the outcome of the Mueller investigation, this may elevate the importance of the question of what artifacts may be allowed to survive an illegitimate President?

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

How?  Senate has 51 Republicans. 

I guess Flake could go out with a blazing **** you to Trump.  Or McCain.  

Edit:  Would need to be both. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So will GOP allow abortion in case of rape or health of the mother?  If all abortion is murder, I'm not sure how you can justify that distinction.  A parent can't abuse a child because the child was conceived as a result of rape nor can a parent pluck an organ from their child for the parent's benefit right?  

Both are(or can be) matters of self defense.....and a burden of proof required to take a life

Rape is less clear in that regard imo, but I can see having to carry the child to term could be considered a continuation of the attack.

Just now, Springfield said:

Any chance this guy can hold off until after the midterms?

I edited by post.  2 Republicans would have to go rogue.  Flake and McCain I could see happening before hell froze over, but still long shots.  Bob Corker?  Very doubtful but not a zero % chance.

I think there is probably a 95% chance that Trump seats another justice.  

So I assume you’ll see states legalizing abortion if Roe v Wade is overturned?

Are republicans frothing at the mouth to send women to prison en masse?  That should help their voter suppression tactics.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I edited by post.  2 Republicans would have to go rogue.  Flake and McCain I could see happening before hell froze over, but still long shots.  Bob Corker?  Very doubtful but not a zero % chance.

I think there is probably a 95% chance that Trump seats another justice.  

So Obama gets 1 in 8 years and ****ing Trump gets 2 in 2 because stupid ****ing Republicans wouldn’t allow him to seat a Justice?  This is bull****.  I’m livid.

Edited by Springfield

Are republicans frothing at the mouth to send women to prison en masse?  That should help their voter suppression tactics.

Anyone lusting for the overturning of Roe should take into consideration how messy and confusing things are with some other issues where the laws vary from state to state.  Also look at Ireland and what people there had to go through and how that turned out.  

Edited by visionary

So Obama gets 1 in 8 years and ****ing Trump gets 2 in 2 because stupid ****ing Republicans wouldn’t allow him to seat a Justice?  This is bull****.  I’m livid.

Obama got 2 in 8 years (Sotomayor and Kagen).  Trump gets 2 in 2 years because stupid ****ing Republicans wouldn’t allow him to seat a Justice.  Which is bull**** and I am also livid. 

Just now, visionary said:

Anyone lusting for the overturning of Roe should take into consideration how messy things are with other issues where the laws vary from state to state.  Also look at Ireland and what people there had to go through and how that turned out.  

I think overturning Roe v Wade would be a HUGE mistake for republicans.  Monumentally huge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Obama got 2 in 8 years (Sotomayor and Kagen).  Trump gets 2 in 2 years because stupid ****ing Republicans wouldn’t allow him to seat a Justice.  Which is bull**** and I am also livid. 

Well, like anything with Trump, this is guaranteed to be a **** show.

1 minute ago, twa said:

Both are(or can be) matters of self defense.....and a burden of proof required to take a life

Rape is less clear in that regard imo, but I can see having to carry the child to term could be considered a continuation of the attack.

But the mother provokes the danger by conception and the fetus has taken no steps in creating the danger other than existing.  Traditional self defense would not apply.  We can start killing innocent people for self preservation now?  

Can a mother kill a baby after birth if the child has strong resemblance to the rapist because it's a continuation of the attack?

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think there will be a strong push by the conservative core base for a national law.  I don't think GOP will seek to impose criminal penalties on the mother, just the practitioners in violation of laws and regulations.  

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Anyone lusting for the overturning of Roe should take into consideration how messy and confusing things are with some other issues where the laws vary from state to state.  Also look at Ireland and what people there had to go through and how that turned out.  

Smart play by the GOP would be to make abortion practically impossible, not actually illegal.  Make the recently upheld burden in Texas look like a revolving door.  Surgical sites with minimum number of staff in the dozens for single operation, ridiculously high malpractice coverage, hours upon hours of continuing education requirements, paperwork deserving of its own zipcode, so on and so on.  All the while, saying, we didn't ban abortion.

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Smart play by the GOP would be to make abortion practically impossible, not actually illegal.  Make the recently upheld burden in Texas look like a revolving door.  Surgical sites with minimum number of staff in the dozens for single operation, ridiculously high malpractice coverage, hours upon hours of continuing education requirements, paperwork deserving of its own zipcode, so on and so on.  All the while, saying, we didn't ban abortion.

White folks will still be able to grease palms and get it done.  But I’m not saying that’s evil or cowardly or anything like that.