Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scuba Diving

UKskins

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Mine is a back inflate.  I hate jacket style.  

Can you elaborate a little bit?

I'm assuming just because it "forces" you into horizontal position when you are filling it with air which is better for diving position.  it's also less bulky in the front part of it.  That seems to be the main differences I hear. 

The thing that I have heard people talk about is how at the surface it's hard to keep your head up when your BCD is full due to the nature of it, but everyone I know who has one of them and uses them say that's completely overrated and just something people say to sell you on jacket style.  Plus, you aren't at the surface very often just floating, but in your classes, you are at the surface floating a lot listening to the instructor so it makes sense for those.  

With how I have been basically perfectly weighted my last few dives, I'm hardly using ANY air in the BCD at all while underwater, maybe 1 or 2 quick squirts to get neutrally buoyant, if that.

I'm going to be glad that I can try them out myself though and just make a decision based on the feel. 

17 minutes ago, purbeast said:

With how I have been basically perfectly weighted my last few dives, I'm hardly using ANY air in the BCD at all while underwater, maybe 1 or 2 quick squirts to get neutrally buoyant, if that.

I'm the same way plus I use very little weight (I've even handed weight off to other drivers while at depth and finished the day with zero weight).  Breathing control will be your main way of changing depth once you're experienced.

I hate jacket style because I felt like it squeezed me.  Or it was baggy when it didn't have air in it.  The fit of a back inflate doesn't change based on the amount of air.

On the surface took a little practice but I mean like 15 minutes to get used to it.  What I found works best for me is I lay on my back with my feet about a foot under water and adjust so only my head and shoulders are above water.  The only issue (it didn't bother me but might bother you) is if you are in a group on the surface you will want to hang out on the edge of the group.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

Gotcha.  Yeah even when I fill the BCD full of air on the boat before jumping in, it feels tight as ****.  And my build is athletic with broad shoulders/chest and narrow torsoe, so all of the squeezing on my upper body, while not completely uncomfortable, isn't the greatest feeling.  Although I do like the feeling it gives me when floating since it feels like I'm completely squeezed in an innertube and not going anywhere lol.

I can definitely see how they feel baggy without air in it though, because all of the bulk up in the front and stuff.  

I just confirmed that it will be June 2nd where I will be trying out the gear. 

I'm trying out the Hydros Pro and X-tek BCD's.

First stage I'm trying out the MK17 and MK25.

Second stage is the S560, S600, and G620.  I'll probably skip trying one of the S560 or S600 because they are virtually identical though.

And then there is one octo that she has for me to try.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:48 PM, purbeast said:

Went to this store in Rockville to check out some regs and BCD's and they are pretty much just a Scuba Pro dealer.  I really liked chatting with the girl that works there and she was dropping some knowledge on me which was really informational.  I then asked her how do people decide on what to buy without trying them out and she was like 'well that is the thing - you CAN try them out!' and it turns out they rent gear that they sell, and they allow you to try it out at their pool sessions.

So most likely next weekend I am going to try out some new gear.  I'm going to try out multiple different regs and I'm going to try out some back inflated BCD's which I've never tried before.  Based on pretty much everyone I've talked to who has been doing SCUBA for a while, they say back is the way to go over jacket style, and the science behind it makes complete sense why.  But it will be very nice to be able to actually FEEL the difference myself and experience it, so then I can make an informed decision.

Those of you who have done this for a while - have you tried the back inflated ones?  I'm just curious as to if you have and what your preference is.

I've used both, but bought back inflate.

Love it. 

On 5/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Mine is a back inflate.  I hate jacket style.  

Same here. 

On 5/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, purbeast said:

Gotcha.  Yeah even when I fill the BCD full of air on the boat before jumping in, it feels tight as ****.  And my build is athletic with broad shoulders/chest and narrow torsoe, so all of the squeezing on my upper body, while not completely uncomfortable, isn't the greatest feeling.  Although I do like the feeling it gives me when floating since it feels like I'm completely squeezed in an innertube and not going anywhere lol.

I can definitely see how they feel baggy without air in it though, because all of the bulk up in the front and stuff.  

I just confirmed that it will be June 2nd where I will be trying out the gear. 

I'm trying out the Hydros Pro and X-tek BCD's.

First stage I'm trying out the MK17 and MK25.

Second stage is the S560, S600, and G620.  I'll probably skip trying one of the S560 or S600 because they are virtually identical though.

And then there is one octo that she has for me to try.

You can probably save a ****-ton of money, buying online.

I can't emphasize Scubatoys.com enough. All my dive buddies use them, as do a bunch of people on the dive boards that I frequent.

They have a large shop, in Texas,(🙄), and a sterling reputation. 

The service is off the chart, and the prices are great.  They don't push particular brands, based in what they sell.

Google them.  I don't have a horse in this race, but brick and mortar dive shops in the DMV area are a lot more expensive than buying online.

Use the money that you save, to dive more....

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You can probably save a ****-ton of money, buying online.

I can't emphasize Scubatoys.com enough. All my dive buddies use them, as do a bunch of people on the dive boards that I frequent.

They have a large shop, in Texas,(🙄), and a sterling reputation. 

The service is off the chart, and the prices are great.  They don't push particular brands, based in what they sell.

Google them.  I don't have a horse in this race, but brick and mortar dive shops in the DMV area are a lot more expensive than buying online.

Use the money that you save, to dive more....

The prices on that scubatoys are the same as prices at leisurepro.com which are the same as prices at the local stores, for the stuff carried at all places.

There are some Atomic regs I've been eyeing I haven't seen locally, but at scubatoys.com they are the same as leisurepro.com pricewise.

The Scuba Pro regs at the local place are the identical price as leisure pro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a BP/W last night for the first time ever and within a minute I was sold on buying one.  I couldn't believe how much freedom it feels like with such a minimalist setup.  I did have some issues with the buoyancy and being negatively buoyant, and I'm not sure why.  I had no weights, no wetsuit, and was in a pool, and was using a 6lb steel plate, and at the surface with the BCD fully inflated I wasn't quite staying fully afloat.  It was almost like I was doing a buoyancy test where my head was out of the water with a full breath then I'd slowly start goin down as I exhale.  

But either way, I'm goin to be buying BP/W setup when I do purchase.  

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Tried a BP/W last night for the first time ever and within a minute I was sold on buying one.  I couldn't believe how much freedom it feels like with such a minimalist setup.  I did have some issues with the buoyancy and being negatively buoyant, and I'm not sure why.  I had no weights, no wetsuit, and was in a pool, and was using a 6lb steel plate, and at the surface with the BCD fully inflated I wasn't quite staying fully afloat.  It was almost like I was doing a buoyancy test where my head was out of the water with a full breath then I'd slowly start goin down as I exhale.  

But either way, I'm goin to be buying BP/W setup when I do purchase.  

Pools aren't a good place to check buoyancy.  Where you do actually diving is sal****er which makes you more bouyant.

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Pools aren't a good place to check buoyancy.  Where you do actually diving is sal****er which makes you more bouyant.

Yeah I know, and I also didn't have a wetsuit on either.  Those two alone will make a big difference.  I just had a rashguard on.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Yeah I know, and I also didn't have a wetsuit on either.  Those two alone will make a big difference.  I just had a rashguard on.

buoyant. Know a wetsuit makes a difference but I dont know how much.  I've never dove anywhere I needed one.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

buoyant. Know a wetsuit makes a difference but I dont know how much.  I've never dove anywhere I needed one.

It makes a big difference.  I snorkeled in a shorty one time in February in the Keys and I couldn't even swim down.  I mean I could but I used so much energy to get completely under water I was out of breath before I was down like 10 feet.

I wear a 3mm full suit anywhere I go so that is even more buoyant.  Plus I will be more naturally buoyant in salt water.

• 3 weeks later...

Got some of my gear in yesterday but have yet to put it together still...

lJBx84j.jpg

I still need to decide on my regs but I'm leaning towards Atomic Z2 for both performance and price, and I'm probably ordering my wing tomorrow once it's back in stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting a tank today and setup my BP/W on it just to get the feel for it and it felt great.  Got my regs the other day too and got them all hosed up and stuff.  Going with a 4' primary and a 2' secondary around a necklace and the primary will be my donation if need be.

Not going to hook up my regs to the tank until I get it Hydros/VIP inspected first but am super tempted.

GR3gUrR.jpg

• 1 month later...

Took my full setup into the pool this afternoon for the first time and it was pretty badass!  I was a bit nervous that everything would feel good and stuff, but I surprisingly did not have to really make any adjustments at all.  I was in the water for like 90 minutes and it felt like I was in there for like 40 minutes maybe.  I couldn't believe how much time had gone by when I looked at the clock after I got out.  

I'll probably do one more pool session in 2 weeks before I go to the Keys next month and take it into the ocean for the first time.

The feeling of freedom with a BP/W is so awesome.  There's no way I could go back to a jacket style BCD now unless there was just no other option.

I don't know how the tank was painted or what was used to color it, but it looks to be in great shape.  I don't even know if I will ever get the tank wet other than soaking my gear pressurized in the tub, or in a pool a couple times, or if I do end up doing stuff locally.  I got it mainly to be able to rinse pressurized and to test out my gear and different routing stuff, so that I can get it a way I like before ever going on vacation.

• 1 month later...

Did some diving 2 weeks ago in the Keys (and fished for tuna which owned) and looking through some of the videos I took.  Visibility wasn't the best when we dove because they had high winds for a few days before we ended up going out, but saw a decent sized nurse shark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

World’s deepest pool with underwater city, caves for exploration opens

It makes an Olympic swimming pool look like a puddle.

As if Dubai wasn’t filled with enough record-breaking attractions, the United Arab Emirates metropolis is now home to the world’s deepest pool, complete with an underwater city, caves and more.

“An entire world awaits you at Deep Dive Dubai, the world’s deepest pool,” wrote crown prince of Dubai Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, on Instagram. He was one of the first to visit the engineering marvel on July 7.

Indeed, the underwater wonder, which is part of the new Deep Dive Dubai attraction, measures a breathtaking 196 feet from top to bottom — nearly 50 feet deeper than the previous record-holder, the Deepspot in Poland, CNN reported. This was enough for it to capture the Guinness World Record for “Deepest swimming pool for diving” on June 27.

dubai-pool-38.jpeg?quality=90&strip=all&

Click on the link for the full article and video

While that is cool, it really isn't that exciting to me.  Like it's one of those "do once" types of things, where as I could go dive the same location over and over and not get bored.  There doesn't appear to be any sea life in there, and it's freshwater, so even if it was, it would be boring freshwater sea life.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

While that is cool, it really isn't that exciting to me.  Like it's one of those "do once" types of things, where as I could go dive the same location over and over and not get bored.  There doesn't appear to be any sea life in there, and it's freshwater, so even if it was, it would be boring freshwater sea life.

Not all freshwater fauna are boring...

CATERS_Jeremy_Wade_Extreme_Fishing_01.jp

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Not all freshwater fauna are boring...

CATERS_Jeremy_Wade_Extreme_Fishing_01.jp

Yeah but I've seen every episode of River Monsters, and the water most of those fish in has visibility of about 1".

But even so, those fish are just boring to look at.  They don't have any nice colors to em.  They are cool looking fish don't get me wrong, but have nothing on tropical fish.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, purbeast said:

In Turks and Caicos right now and thought I'd share a little compilation I put together.

Props to anyone who knows where the greatest underwater music of all time came from.

Wait till the end too.  That was fun.

z

Donkey Kong Country?

• Like 1