Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

57 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Repost but yeah shows need to stop booking Dershowitz.

What level of proof is there that this happen? I don't particularly like the guy and I think people should not book him but that's for a different reason. I'm not sure that I like the idea of people getting punished whenever there is an allegation made. It needs to at least be looked into first. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Repost but yeah shows need to stop booking Dershowitz.

Damn, what's interesting to me about this is that Dershowitz was one of the lead defense attorney's for Epstein in his original case. And what's also interesting about that original case is that the current Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta was the prosecutor who gave Epstein a sweetheart deal, dropping the federal charges, and not making any attempt whatsoever to charge or investigate "other parties" who were also involved with Epstein and these underage girls. All the while making this deal without the very many victims knowledge or consent (over 80 girls according to the Miami herald article IIRC).

Personally, I suspect that Dershowitz, Trump, Bill Clinton, and probably many more were engaged in underage sex acts with Epstein at these parties and these articles and the case coming up on Dec. 4th could be setting the stage for some new revelations in the near future.

5 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Personally, I suspect that Dershowitz, Trump, Bill Clinton, and probably many more were engaged in underage sex acts with Epstein at these parties and these articles and the case coming up on Dec. 4th could be setting the stage for some new revelations in the near future.

I thought the same thing. That's a list of scumbags right there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What level of proof is there that this happen? I don't particularly like the guy and I think people should not book him but that's for a different reason. I'm not sure that I like the idea of people getting punished whenever there is an allegation made. It needs to at least be looked into first. 

I'm going with my bs meter on this one. Even if he never did anything it seems like a collosal lapse of judgement. You visit your boy 4 to 5 times a year and never question why there's underage seeming women around.

• 1 month later...

As I've posted before, Democrats or Republicans or any other party or independent or male or female, if a person commits sexual harassment or abuse or other crime of that nature, they should be thrown out of those legislative bodies, federal, state, or local. Let sanctions start from the top, it's one of the best ways to show the electorate and citizens in general that this won't be tolerated in our society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

As I've posted before, Democrats or Republicans or any other party or independent or male or female, if a person commits sexual harassment or abuse or other crime of that nature, they should be thrown out of those legislative bodies, federal, state, or local. Let sanctions start from the top, it's one of the best ways to show the electorate and citizens in general that this won't be tolerated in our society.

While I agree with this in general, I also agree with the below quote from the article

"It is an accusation, but we cannot make actions on accusations."

It looks like this was so long ago, no real investigation could be done.  And I don't like the idea that accusations alone cost someone their job.  Hopefully the rise of awareness will compel people to come forward sooner so it can be investigated. 

*Note:  I've admitted before, and will admit again, my opinion is probably a little jaded having been falsely accused and seeing the effect it had on my career. 

• 3 weeks later...

i know this isn't "political" per se (see thread title), but there's arguably spillover and it's close enough, topically

(some good news at the end, though)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sexual-assault-harassment-spikes-at-military-academies-strategies-fail-to-stem-crisis/ar-BBT04jb?li=BBnb7Kz

Sexual assault, harassment spikes at military academies, strategies fail to stem crisis

WASHINGTON – Incidents of sexual assault at U.S. military academies spiked nearly 50 percent during the last school year despite years of focus on the issue and declarations of zero-tolerance, according to results of a survey conducted by the Pentagon.

The number of students reporting unwanted sexual contact totaled 747 during the 2017-18 academic year compared with 507 in 2015-16, according to anonymous surveys of cadets and midshipmen. Unwanted sexual contact ranges from groping to rape.

"We’re disheartened and disappointed that the things and the strategies that we’ve employed just really aren’t getting the results that we want," Nathan Galbreath, deputy director of the Pentagon's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office, told USA TODAY on Thursday.

About 16 percent of women and 2 percent of men at the military's premier military colleges reported being sexually assaulted, Galbreath said.

The survey at the academies to determine the prevalence of sexual assault is done every other year. For the 2013-14 school year, 327 students responded that they had been victims of such contact, less than half the figure reported in the latest year.

Another troubling finding: about 50 percent of women students reported being sexually harassed in the 2017-18 school year, up from 48 percent compared with the previous report. For men, 16 percent reported sexual harassment last year compared with 12 percent in the last report.

Despite the increase in sexual assaults, cadets and midshipmen, as the students are known, their willingness to lodge formal complaints has remained flat, Galbreath said. The 747 anonymous reports of sexual assaults generated only 92 formal complaints, Galbreath said, a rate of about 12 percent that has not changed.

"That's very concerning to us," he said. 

About 12,000 students attend the Army, Navy and Air Force academies. 

"Clearly there's a cultural problem at the academies," said Don Christensen, the former top prosecutor for the Air Force and president of Protect Our Defenders, a group that advocates for victims of sexual assault in the military. "There have been decades of the academies downplaying sexual assault. There are almost zero consequences for someone who commits sexual assault there."

The factors driving the increase in assaults and harassment are not immediately clear from the data, Galbreath said. To combat the problem, former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis had ordered the armed service chiefs and academy leadership to focus on programs that emphasized responsible alcohol consumption, better prevention efforts, a culture of respect and improved reporting of assaults. The effect of those programs isn't entirely reflected in the new survey data, Galbreath said.

The #MeToo movement has encouraged some women to report sexual assault and harassment. MeToo began in 2006 and gained new momentum in 2017 with allegations of sexual assault against high-profile men in entertainment, news media and politics. But the 747 incidents of unwanted sexual contact at the academies were disclosed to researchers in a confidential survey, not necessarily reported to authorities for possible prosecution.

"The academies are grooming the next generation of military leaders," Christensen said. "They are supposed to be held to a higher standard. What message does this send to the troops they will be leading?"

In a report released last year on sexual assault at the academies, the Pentagon acknowledged that the problem had grown worse despite its efforts.

"Despite significant investments of attention, time, and resources, the 2016 estimated prevalence (occurrence) rate of unwanted sexual contact increased at all three academies, as compared to the rate measured two years prior," the report concluded. "In addition, rates of reporting sexual assault, perceived negative outcomes associated with reporting, and other measures showed only modest, if any, improvement in the climate pertaining to sexual assault and sexual harassment at the academies."

The military has waged a long battle to deal with sexual assault within its ranks. In 2013, the Pentagon released a report that estimated troops reporting unwanted sexual contact had jumped 35 percent from 2010 to 2012 — to 26,000 victims.

That report sparked intervention from Congress, which legislated changes on how sexual assault in the military was prosecuted and mandated enhanced care for victims. 

The Pentagon issues a variety of reports tracking sexual assault among troops, and also commissions outside studies. In Sept. 2018, The RAND Corp., a non-partisan think tank, issued a report that found young women troops faced the highest risk of sexual assault after a survey of 170,000 active-duty troops. 

There has been some progress: rates of sexual assault for active duty men and women decreased between 2016 and 2014 and are at the lowest level since 2006, according to the Pentagon.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stringer, who was 36 when he was arrested, was charged with eight counts of sex crimes. He later accepted a plea deal on some combination of charges and was sentenced to five years of supervised probation.

He also was required to seek admission to what appears to be a treatment clinic for sex offenders.

But few details of Stringer's sentence are known because a Baltimore judge expunged the case in 1990, erasing the court records.

Edited by Cooked Crack

I think it's appropriate to add Biden's creepy behavior toward women. He rubbed their shoulders without their consent and that's unacceptable. 

What's wrong with men who can't keep their hands to themselves? I had a couple of rules for my daughter and one was, If it's not yours, don't touch it. Pretty simple rule that should be taught to all children. Obviously, some boys get the coda to this rule, Unless she's female, then you can do whatever you want. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...