Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DISCHORD- DCs legendary Punk Rock Label made free to stream

Koolblue13

http://www.openculture.com/2017/08/dcs-legendary-punk-label-dischord-makes-its-entire-music-catalog-free-to-stream-online.html

Apart from whatever political nightmare du jour we’re living in, it can be easy to dislike Washington, DC. I say this as someone who grew up outside the city, called it home for many years, and generally found its public face of monuments, tourists, politicos, and waves of lobbyists and bureaucrats pretty alienating. The “real” DC was elsewhere, in the city’s historic Black neighborhoods, many now heavily gentrified, which hosted legendary jazz clubs and gave birth to the genius of go-go.And even in the privileged, middle class neighborhoods and DMV suburbs. Among the skate punks and disaffected military brats who created the DC punk scene, a seething, furiously productive punk economy centered around Dischord Records. The small label has been as hugely influential in the past few decades as Seattle's Sub Pop or Long Beach's SST.

Ian MacKaye is the man.  Saw fugazi at the Peppermint in 1991, Ive never been to a show with so much energy since.  Shudder to think opened, iirc.

I loved several dischord bands back in the day, Jawbox comes to mind they were outstanding live.

What if Don Zientara had never decided to build a soundboard?  Imagine what we would have lost.  He is the unsung hero of the DC music scene, imo

I actually got to see the guys from Dag Nasty a few years ago playing in another band. Hang out with them and hear a bunch of stories. 

Bad Brains and Minor Threat, I remember where I was hearing them for the first time. Life changing **** for me.

GI and Youth Brigade, saw them. I use to go to a club in Trenton called City Gardens to see all of them. 

I saw Blind Melon at the peppermint in 92 lol

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I swear I heard the music for out of step coming back from commercial during monday night football a few years ago.

They used to play Waiting Room at FedEx field in between plays... i think Jim Rome used to use a few Fugazi tracks too

Ive always thought that some of the early DC punk could make for some nice color on a movie soundtrack.  This song would get me completely pumped to watch Aquaman kick ass

Archived