Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

4 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Speaking of drink8ng soemtj8ng dry.  We were headed up to WhistlePig farm to pick a couple barrels of whiskey.  It was only $99 bucks more to fly first class so we get first class seats and then drink the plane dry of whoskey miniatures plus we had each brought a bunch of 2 ounce bottles carry on.   We were sloshed by the t8me we got to Vermont. 

Did you post this from the airport?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Why the hell is Ardbeg Corryvrecken $120 now? Only had it once, about a year ago, and it was $70. Had been planning to purchase it again but that’s way up outside the range I can justify. 

You were fortunate to find it at that price, because the cost has been well North of $70 for years.  If I saw it for $70.00, I'd buy a case.

I bought one late last year for $90.00, which still is a fair price for an excellent, cask-strength Islay whiskey.   I agree that $120.00 is steep, and I would pass on it at that price point.    The Ten Year or the An Oa are more reasonably priced options, and they're both excellent.  The Wee Beastie is cheaper, but it's a tad thin to me. 

If you think that the price increase for the Caorryvrecken is obscene, there are a ton of bourbons out there where prices have skyrocketed, only because they've either won an award, or a whiskey expert, (Fred Minnick), has deemed it extraordinary.    Just Google the price history/availability for stuff like Booker's, McKenna 10 Year, Stagg Jr., etc.   It's nuts.

18 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If you think that the price increase for the Caorryvrecken is obscene, there are a ton of bourbons out there where prices have skyrocketed, only because they've either won an award, or a whiskey expert, (Fred Minnick), has deemed it extraordinary.    Just Google the price history/availability for stuff like Booker's, McKenna 10 Year, Stagg Jr., etc.   It's nuts.

Bourbon has turned out a great investment for me. Last week I sold 5 bottles for $5450 that cost me $420. I’ve held those for 4 years. The bourbon world is nuts right now.  

Edited by HOF44
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Bourbon has turned out a great investment for me. Last week I sold 5 bottles for $5450 that cost me $420. I’ve held those for 4 years. The bourbon world is nuts right now.  

So I'm being financially foolish by not drinking more bourbon? 🤔

10 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

It's insane, isn't it?   

I snagged a few bottles of standard BT at the package store, in Norfolk, for $20.00, as gifts for friends.   We saw it at a MD liquor store for $50.00 and it was allocated 😅  Woodford rye for $20.00 and the liquor store was selling it for $43.00.  Maker's 101 $39.99 at VA ABC stores and $60+ in MD.   It's

I'm ready for "Bourbon at Bob's"  I have a Belle of Lincoln JD bottle and a real dusty miniature of WT101 with your name on it 😉

6 hours ago, bearrock said:

So I'm being financially foolish by not drinking more bourbon? 🤔

I find my self thinking now, should I open this bottle?? I know what it tastes like and if I can find something similar way cheaper I end up not opening it.  

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It's insane, isn't it?   

I snagged a few bottles of standard BT at the package store, in Norfolk, for $20.00, as gifts for friends.   We saw it at a MD liquor store for $50.00 and it was allocated 😅  Woodford rye for $20.00 and the liquor store was selling it for $43.00.  Maker's 101 $39.99 at VA ABC stores and $60+ in MD.   It's

I'm ready for "Bourbon at Bob's"  I have a Belle of Lincoln JD bottle and a real dusty miniature of WT101 with your name on it 😉

If we can ever get past this Covid crap!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Heck, I'm pretty sure Larceny went up about 50% in price within the last couple years.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 1:02 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Why the hell is Ardbeg Corryvrecken $120 now? Only had it once, about a year ago, and it was $70. Had been planning to purchase it again but that’s way up outside the range I can justify. 

On sale now, at Va ABC stores.

I already have a bottle, but snagged one at this price.

20220105_134150.jpg

Yeah I saw it was on sale this month but was still shocked at the price. It was literally $80 or $85 a year ago and I got it on sale for $70. No idea when its price increased by 50% but I’m unhappy about it. It had been on my list to rebuy. Definitely by favorite Ardbeg expression. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yeah I saw it was on sale this month but was still shocked at the price. It was literally $80 or $85 a year ago and I got it on sale for $70. No idea when its price increased by 50% but I’m unhappy about it. It had been on my list to rebuy. Definitely by favorite Ardbeg expression. 

Yeah....it's nuts.

I don't drink it very often, (I prefer bourbon & rye). It chafes my cheap ass, but I'll pay it, because the bottles will last me a long time.  Laphroaig & Ardbeg 10 year are really good, and much more affordable.  That being said, if I were a scotch drinker,  I'd be pissed, because there is no good cheap scotch.  At least with bourbon, and rye, there are a ton of great, cheap, choices.

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah....it's nuts.

I don't drink it very often, (I prefer bourbon & rye). It chafes my cheap ass, but I'll pay it, because the bottles will last me a long time.  Laphroaig & Ardbeg 10 year are really good, and much more affordable.  That being said, if I were a scotch drinker,  I'd be pissed, because there is no good cheap scotch.  At least with bourbon, and rye, there are a ton of great, cheap, choices.

Agree. Lagavulin 8 is my go to “budget” Islay bottle but it’s even $60 now. Sigh…

I drink a lot more bourbon these days and have been exploring some different value bottles. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Agree. Lagavulin 8 is my go to “budget” Islay bottle but it’s even $60 now. Sigh…

I drink a lot more bourbon these days and have been exploring some different value bottles. 

Ardbeg Wee Beastie is a decent albeit, thin, Islay whiskey that's relatively cheap.

If you haven't already tried them, all of these are great value bottles.

WT101

WT101 Rye

Old Grandad bottled in bond

Old Grandad 114

Old Overholt Rye

Old Overholt 114 Rye

Old Forester 100

Old Forester 100 Rye

Evan William's bottled in bond.

They're all good and staples in our bar.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

46 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Ardbeg Wee Beastie is a decent albeit, thin, Islay whiskey that's relatively cheap.

I appreciate that I can tell Wee Beastie is an Ardbeg by its taste, even if it is a bit thin.  On the other hand, I had an un-yeared bottle of Laphroaig that was rather disappointing.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If you haven't already tried them, all of these are great value bottles.

WT101

WT101 Rye

Old Grandad bottled in bond

Old Grandad 114

Old Overholt Rye

Old Overholt 114 Rye

Old Forester 100

Old Forester 100 Rye

Evan William's bottled in bond.

They're all good and staples in our bar.

OGD114 and WT101 are both frequently found on my shelf.

Haven’t tried Wee Beastie yet because up until recently there was only a $5 difference between it and Lagavulin 8. With that difference increasing to $15, it might be my next buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

OGD114 and WT101 are both frequently found on my shelf.

Haven’t tried Wee Beastie yet because up until recently there was only a $5 difference between it and Lagavulin 8. With that difference increasing to $15, it might be my next buy. 

WT101 is my "stranded on an island" whiskey.

The rye is scary good, and a steal at $22.00

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tell me more about $22 rye.  Would it be good in an old fashioned?

Gotta take what Rick says with a grain of salt.  He drinks diesel from the hose. Or as I like to call it Mellow corn.  Will drink anything!!!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tell me more about $22 rye.  Would it be good in an old fashioned?

Absolutely.

Make sure that it is the 101 rye.

Old Overholt is also good in an Old Fashioned 

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Gotta take what Rick says with a grain of salt.  He drinks diesel from the hose. Or as I like to call it Mellow corn.  Will drink anything!!!!

Haters gonna hate🙃🙃🙃

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...