Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Laws Or Amendments Passed because of the Trump Presidency?

88Comrade2000

One day our national nightmare, known as the Trump presidency, will end.  Realistically, that is probably 12pm on 1/20/21 but it could be 12pm on 1/20/25. I think whenever his presidency ends; there will be many laws passed because of his Presidency. I also think, we will see some more amendments to the constitution  after his Presidency.

So, what Laws or Amendments can you see being passed after Trump's Presidency?

=========================================================================================================================================

I'll start off with an easy one; the full disclosure of one's income taxes as a prerequisite to be on the ballot.

20 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

One day our national nightmare, known as the Trump presidency, will end.  Realistically, that is probably 12pm on 1/20/21 but it could be 12pm on 1/20/25. I think whenever his presidency ends; there will be many laws passed because of his Presidency. I also think, we will see some more amendments to the constitution  after his Presidency.

So, what Laws or Amendments can you see being passed after Trump's Presidency?

=========================================================================================================================================

I'll start off with an easy one; the full disclosure of one's income taxes as a prerequisite to be on the ballot.

Well wouldn't you have amend the constitution to have income taxes before you make a requirement in the same document to make candidates disclose them?

2 hours ago, clietas said:

I'm still convinced I'll never see another constitutional amendment passed in my lifetime. Last one that passed was in1992 and it was about congressional salaries. Difficult to imagine they'll be able to agree on anything other than pay raises for themselves ever again.

That's because our wonderful court system has set the precedent that the government can make any ****ing law it wants.  Who needs 2/3 super-majority?

To be fair, the amendment grants Congress the power to levy an income tax. I don't think it specifies that there must be one. 

Anyway, I doubt there will be an amendment passed requiring that disclosure. I could see individual states passing laws that state you have to disclose your tax returns in order to be eligible to be on the ballot in that state.

I would bet we see something related to campaign finance and/or entanglement with private interests at least introduced in Congress. My faith in our legislative system to put any kind of teeth behind that is pretty low. 

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I would bet we see something related to campaign finance and/or entanglement with private interests at least introduced in Congress. My faith in our legislative system to put any kind of teeth behind that is pretty low. 

Not gonna happen because of Citizens United. Also, lobbyists would pull funding from any candidate that would propose such a thing. 

In order for an amendment to pass, we as a country are going to have to get past partisanship. To get 2/3 of anyone, lets alone 2/3 of the states to pass a proposal on an amendment is impossible in this climate. It won't change anytime soon. However, disclosure of tax returns is a great one! How many years would suffice, 20 years of returns?

3 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

To be fair, the amendment grants Congress the power to levy an income tax. I don't think it specifies that there must be one. 

Anyway, I doubt there will be an amendment passed requiring that disclosure. I could see individual states passing laws that state you have to disclose your tax returns in order to be eligible to be on the ballot in that state.

The Bold part is what I meant by my answer.  It doesn't have to be an amendment; those are nearly impossible to pass into today's political climate.

There will be plenty of laws though that could pass because of what happens during a Trump presidency.

Archived