Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Hamdog

Ron78

Would you be inclined to order a Hamdog if you saw it on a menu?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be inclined to order a Hamdog if you saw it on a menu?

• Yes
    • No

Why is this a thing?  Just because of the arrangement of the hot dog in the middle of the hamburger?  I'm pretty sure there are places that have been serving burgers with hot dogs on top for years without any fanfare.

Well, here's one of the fast food variety, I'm sure there are other better tasting ones out there (and I bet it's been covered on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives):

No, and for very specific reasons.

Hot dogs are made for mustards, yellows, browns, spicy, horseradish infused mustards. And onions. And maybe some relish. Just a touch.

Cheese has never tasted good to me on a hot dog. (Except on mini hot dog pigs-in-a-blanket.  And only on mini hot dog pigs-in-a-blanket.)

Hamburgers are made for cheese.. all sorts of cheese.. you can put a slice of almost any cheese on a buirger and it'll be good. Then you load up with Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, jalapenos, banana peppers, hell, watercress if you want. Pretty much anything BUT mustard.

Mustard does not go well with the burger. This is not to say it can't be tolerated, because the burger is that flexible.
The hot dog with ketchup? Oh, my no. 

But the burger works with ketchup, mayo, russian dressing, thousand island dressing, (japanese ginger dressing is amazing on a cheeseburger.), hell,, mix them all.

If made properly, your cheeseburger should be a friggin' mess. Somehow, with the most delicious of cheeseburgers, the bun manages to disappear faster than everything else so that you eventually run out of napkins, and finally just say "**** it" and eat like a caveman..   if a caveman had ketchup, mayo, russian dressing, thousand island dressing, and even japanese ginger dressing.

A hot dog is compact, and really, you don't want to be finished with the bun before you are with the meat, because people could get the wrong idea, parents would scream and shield their children from your disgusting act, and you will likely get thrown out of the ballpark.

You really don't want to be finished with the burger bun before the rest, but it's just the way it works out. And that is OK. 

Gourmet burgers are an interesting idea, you can pile all sorts of things on a burger and it's pretty good because of the burger's ability to be delicious with so many varieties of flavors. 

Gourmet hot dogs look like abstract art made by things found in a dumpster. Nice composition, but overall, i'm not feelin' the appetite. 

Combining the two? No thank you. It throws the entire condiment matrix out of whack.
Now, the two on the same plate, and i'm ok with that.

But, i have found most places do not make a hot dog the way i like it,, which is left on the grill to catch fire for about five minutes until its skin is black and cracked. Yum.

Anyway, dinnertime.

~Bang

On 2/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, China said:

Why is this a thing?  Just because of the arrangement of the hot dog in the middle of the hamburger?  I'm pretty sure there are places that have been serving burgers with hot dogs on top for years without any fanfare.

Well, here's one of the fast food variety, I'm sure there are other better tasting ones out there (and I bet it's been covered on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives):

That is a good point.  Putting a regular hot dog on top of a burger also solves the "expensive" specialized bun dilemma another poster mentioned.  That bun might be more trouble than it's worth.

Archived