Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weekly Smoot versus Bailey watch.

Art

Originally posted by Art

GB,

It's impossible to have surrendered a catch when not a pass was thrown your way. Who was the receiver? Maybe that will clear up my memory, or yours?

It was hard to see, I was in a bar watching it at the time. But I clearly recall Smoot playing far off the reciever, backpedaling, and then giving up the play because he was too far off the line of scrimmage.

Actually, it wasn't even a 10-and-out, but a curl route. The reciever caught it, and went out of bounds as Smoot pushed him out at the first down marker.

It was in the second half, possibly the third quarter. If you have the game taped, or a TiVO, check it out.

GB,

I can tell you, flatly, that didn't happen. When a corner pushes a receiver out of bounds he shows up in the play by play of the game as getting a tackle or pushing a guy out of bounds. The play you are talking about almost certainly is the 8-yard pass from Fiedler to Chambers that Terrell gave up. Very frequently it appears that Terrell is presumed to be Smoot.

This was in the fourth quarter as in the third quarter the Dolphins only completed two passes. One to Gadsden on Bailey that continued a drive for them. And the other against Bailey on the 31-yarder to Chambers.

Originally posted by Art

Posse,

Again, watch with your eyes, not with your ears. Stop listening to everyone telling you how good Bailey is and start watching for him to BE that good this year. He's been pretty damn good here. He's not doing that good a job now. And everyone rides him so hard that it's sometimes hard to realize that you can't reconcile his actual impact on games with the perception we are being spoon fed by the media.

I don't think we disagree much to be honest. There are obviously two arguments to be made here: How good is Champ? and Is he worth the money he will ask for in the offseason?

He has been pretty damn good. He is a top corner in the league. But he's been playing hurt and has still done a good job on the opponent's top WR. The Carolina game is a good example of that. My point is, there is no reason to ride him so hard.

Again, a poll of league GMs and front office personnel should be taken pretty seriously. Champ has done a nice job. Its easy now to forget that he had some very, very strong games earlier in the season (Atlanta, New England).

Is he worth $18 M? I don't think so, especially if you can get 2 #1s in return.

Last year, people were screaming to get Smoot and Davis dealt, both have shown that a few bad plays in one season doesn't mean they aren't what we have always thought of them. I will give champ the benifit of the doubt, and he DID limit he WR to less than 50 yards, while looking to help stop the run, and while injured.

Originally posted by sonsofwashington

I still want Bailey back next yer fellas. Maybe he has gotten beat a few times, but I think that when he is on he is all over the field. Plus Bailey and Smoot are a duo not independent of eachother. We need BOTH!

I fully agree, i want him back, too.

But he ought to seriously consider coming DOWN off his high horse when negotiations begin.

~Bang

Archived