Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weekly Smoot versus Bailey watch.

Art

Originally posted by mattyk72

Why wasn't there 10 threads about Smoot stinking up the joint after last week? Yet every catch that Champ gives up is over analyzed and ripped apart?

Probably because Smoot outplayed Bailey last week too. Did you not watch the game? Or do you just think Smoot should cover the man he was covering AS WELL as the slot guy who was getting all the catches last week?

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

Have drugs entered your bloodstream this evening? So what? What is your point??? Baliey is supposed to be a #1 shutdown CB, best in the NFL blah blah blah....... Chambers O W N E D Bailey tonight. Bailey was his little b1tch.

You're right, Chambers had 3 catches for 48 yards, he O W N E D Champ alright.

Maybe you're the one on drugs. Have another one.

:40oz:

Smoot makes better plays on the ball, PERIOD. Champ is a hit or miss type of corner. Either his guy is locked down, or he is wide open. Bailey is a great corner, but tonight was what the 11th straight game that he was praised as being the best, only to start giving up catches right after the comments? I don't want to lose Bailey, I want him to be a Redskin, but his play over the last couple of years does not justify the money his agent is asking for.

You're right, Chambers had 3 catches for 48 yards, he O W N E D Champ alright.

Maybe you're the one on drugs. Have another one.

:40oz:

All key plays, Matty boy, including Feidler;s first throw of the game for a first down. And how many other plays did Champ muff? Could of made two INT's (one while defending Chambers) and he Mr. Sh*t hands can't make the play.

I'm sure, though, that you would still pull the trigger and give Bailey an $18M SB.

Keep shootin' up there, Matty.

I'd like to see Smoot without Bailey on the other side.

Let's see Smoot lock horns with the other team's #1 WR week in and week out.

Last year when Lewis didn't lock up Champ with the other team's #1 and Smoot had to draw the assignment he had a pretty mediocre season.

Champ wasn't the sole reason the Skins lost tonight despite what some people on this board think.

NoCal,

Last year was as fine a year at the corner spot as you'll ever see out of Bailey. After last year he deserved pretty much whatever he wanted. This year he's come down some and surprisingly Smoot has played even better this year than Bailey did LAST year. That's not to say Smoot won't get toasted before the year is out and remind us what we have in Bailey. I, too, want to retain Bailey. But, the cost has got to be coming down into the $12 to $14 million range or you simply need to go another direction.

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

All key plays, Matty boy, including Feidler;s first throw of the game for a first down. And how many other plays did Champ muff? Could of made two INT's (one while defending Chambers) and he Mr. Sh*t hands can't make the play.

I'm sure, though, that you would still pull the trigger and give Bailey an $18M SB.

Keep shootin' up there, Matty.

Key plays I'll give you, but would you say he was OWNED tonight??

He was hardly owned tonight, that's what I was responding to.

Chambers is a good WR, all good WR's are going to make some plays, and all corners are going to give up catches.

3 catches for 48 yards is not owning a corner.

Who here is really on crack? Bailey wasnt solely on Chambers tonight. Several players, including the recently activated Oronde Gadsden, caught balls on him. I don't think I've EVER seen a team throw at Bailey as often as the Dolphins did tonight. The Bills game might be close, but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake.

Last year when Lewis didn't lock up Champ with the other team's #1 and Smoot had to draw the assignment he had a pretty mediocre season.

Champ wasn't the sole reason the Skins lost tonight despite what some people on this board think.

Matt,

Smoot's year last year was mediocre. He struggled early with assignments in the Lewis scheme. He then struggled late as he was injured and he was clearly having problems health wise with his legs and speed. Bailey is a bit dinged, but he's not hurt in the legs where it matters at his spot.

But, for Smoot's struggles early and for the problems late -- notably against Dallas -- from the Tennessee game until he got hurt against the Rams, Smoot was as good last year as he's been this year. The problem with Smoot is that because he is so small he'll likely have dings most years that will ultimately end up hurting his game more than it has this year.

Matty,

What does playing against the #1 WR have to do with making plays that are there to be made?

Champ had to opportunity to make two picks tonight. Either one he might have taken back for a TD. He made neither.

Why is it unseemly to expect a guy thinking he is worth a high-teen bonus (at least) to make those plays? Shouldn't a guy wanting to get paid like that make those plays?

Smoot can catch too!

Have you ever seen him drop an INT that he should have had??? I havent. Ive seen him drop a few that maybe he got a hand on and it was amazing that he even got that, but not one he should catch. He can really adjust and make great plays on the ball.

Smoot was also on Chambers several plays. Remember guys, we don't flop corners much anymore. Bailey wasn't always locked up against him. In fact, on the VERY first play of the game formation put Champ on Konrad, the fullback. More than most teams we let formation dictate coverage mismatches. Though Edwards did do better tonight in letting his players play a bit more to their strength out there.

All our corners out there had Chambers at various times tonight. Including Terrell. That's the way we play. You guys aren't watching the game much if you don't recognize Smoot's also drawing the "No. 1" receiver several times. He's just not getting burned as much when doing so.

Actually, Edwards has not always locked up Bailey with the other team's best WR. There may be a good reason behind that too.

Originally posted by Skins26

Smoot can catch too!

Have you ever seen him drop an INT that he should have had??? I havent. Ive seen him drop a few that maybe he got a hand on and it was amazing that he even got that, but not one he should catch. He can really adjust and make great plays on the ball.

Last year against Green Bay Smooty dropped an easy interception :).

Smoot struggled with facing the other team's best WR, don't sugarcoat it.

And writing off Champ as dinged but not in the area that counts isn't exactly fair either. A corner's hands are almost as important.

I like Smoot, but he's not Bailey. Together they're a nice tandem, but if I had to take one over the other I'd take Champ everytime. I just wouldn't trust Smoot as our #1 corner.

Sorry, Matt, but Smoot is also dinged. But he's not dinged in a place that matters as much, though, certainly, Smoot's injury is worse than Bailey's because it impacts his ability to breathe and recover his strength after a sprint.

And, again, Smoot didn't struggle with the other team's best WR. He struggled with Bryant, who was not the Cowboys best receiver and STILL isn't. He struggled early with blown assignments and he closed the year with a terrible game, but it's possible you can't recall a single bad game otherwise. But, I'm not saying Smoot played great last year. Merely pretty well and Bailey was MUCH better last year than Bailey.

So while you might have been correct to say that you like Smoot but he's not Bailey had you said that to start the year, the only conclusion left you at THIS point is that you like Bailey but he's no Smoot. That can change. But, again, the difference between the two is remarkable at this point and it's not in Bailey's favor.

Smoot struggled with facing the other team's best WR, don't sugarcoat it.

This year? When? And compared to Champ in the same situation, what's the comparison? I think you'd be pressed to reach that conclusion.

Do you seriously think that Champ is worth even a $14M SB? Do you think that he is so special and such a playmaker :laugh: that we should sacrafice rebuilding the DL to keep him?

Get over it.....

I'm so tired of hearing the money argument. I'm talking about performance only right now, I'm sorry but I didn't see Champ owned by Chambers tonight like some people believe. There are several players that I would call out for this loss before I would even think about mentioning Champ.

Originally posted by xanathos19

HELLO!!!! Smoot got absolutely LIT UP by ****1ng Muhammad last week!!! MUHSIN MUHAMMAD!!!! I'm not saying Champ is the end-all of CB's, but he's better than Smoot. $18 worth...maybe not, but definately a step or two aheaqd of Smoot.

I think Smoot was pushed off (offensive pass INT) on that play. Bailey, as I recall, was trashed by him.

That's the Muhsin Muhammad that had 1 TD and a total of about 15 catches coming into last week's game. Miami simply wasn't scared of Champ, like other teams are for some reason...you can throw on any CB if you go there enough. Champ's been a little vulnerable lately, but I can't understand anyone saying that he is better than Smoot. Smoot gets more INT's because they throw his way more (except for tonight, obviously).

Xanathos,

No, Smoot didn't get lit up by Muhammad last week. Perhaps you ought to watch the game. Smoot was RARELY on Muhammed. One play he was on him in good coverage he made a play on the ball and Muhammed made a good catch and toasted him. On another play when he was in bad coverage Muhammed caught the ball but Smoot wound up setting him up for a fumble. That's it for Muhammed against Smoot. Smoot was not on the slot receiver at all against Carolina. That's where Muhammed was most of the game.

Archived