Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

Just now, Warhead36 said:

So what's the solution? We have the best win % in the NL since 2012. Baseball playoffs are the toughest of any major sport. Only four teams make it per league/conference so there is no watered down matchups. First round is also only best of 5 so its very easy for a better team to not win.

The Orioles had a great bullpen too...this year they've been just as bad as ours. The Royals had a great pen, and yeah they won the World Series two years ago, since then they haven't done jack and will be big time sellers at the deadline.

I want to cash in and win a ring as much as anyone, but there is no guarantee either way, so give me the route that gets me to the playoffs every year and we'll take our chances.. the Brewers traded for CC SAbathia midseason and didn't make it to the World Series. Ditto the Dodgers with Manny Ramirez. 

Hey im not the GM, but one thing I can say for sure is that to stand pat, and hope that the baseball gods favor you in the playoffs, seems like the worst available option. They have to try something. If not, i think Rizzo runs the risk of locker room frictions developing. Everyone seems to to have reached the end of the line, emotionally.

21 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

When they have had RP, they have not had SP.  When they had SP, they had no relief.  When they had both, they had no hitting.  Takes all 3, plus a good playoff manager, which they have never had.  Half the equation = ALDS losses. 

More generalities. What is a "good playoff manager?" Dusty has been to the World Series. Does that count?

Like I said, they had excellent starting pitching last year, an excellent bullpen, and a good lineup. Stras, Murphy, and Ramos all getting hurt at the end of the year didn't help matters. However, they outscored the Dodgers--had several opportunities to win Game 5 and went 0-3 with 3 K with a man on 3rd, 1 out. They lost 3 1-run games. Roberts had no plan past Kenley Jansen in Game 5--who was completely gassed. Kershaw volunteered. Is that "Playoff managing?"

I generally ignore the woefully uninformed who come strictly to complain, but I am short on patience after last nights game.

...and they've never played in the ALDS.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hey im not the GM, but one thing I can say for sure is that to stand pat, and hope that the baseball gods favor you in the playoffs, seems like the worst available option. They have to try something. If not, i think Rizzo runs the risk of locker room frictions developing. Everyone seems to to have reached the end of the line, emotionally.

I am one to over-value prospects--but I agree. We need to make a move, but not mortgage the future. Which, thankfully, Rizzo has a long-term view of the organization. Knee-jerk reactions and panic moves are what doom organizations.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am one to over-value prospects--but I agree. We need to make a move, but not mortgage the future. Which, thankfully, Rizzo has a long-term view of the organization. Knee-jerk reactions and panic moves are what doom organizations.

Yeah and im not necessarily saying go all out for a set of dream team relievers, but they have to try to do something. Joe Ross in the pen, Romero called up late as someone here mentioned, someone on another team, whatever.. I just think it's ridiculous to assume that a walking trainwreck will correct itself, when it has shown zero signs of improving, and we're near the AS break, and come playoff time, they're supposedly gonna all of a sudden lock down innings collectively.

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

i dont think he was joking though

I wasn't either, really.  Obviously it's so outside the norm that a manager would be considered crazy for trying it, at least on a team with high expectations.  But seriously, what's the flaw in such a plan?  I'm sure there are some, but I don't see them...

Nats to develop Romero as a starter:

Nationals Plan To Develop Seth Romero As A Starter

June 13, 2017 By Lacy Lusk

Though lefthander Seth Romero was kicked off his college team at Houston this spring, the Nationals still liked him enough to take him with their first pick of the draft at No. 25 overall.

“I think the kid’s learned his lesson and he’s going to go out there and be a productive big leaguer,” scouting director Kris Kline told reporters. “The stuff plays at the big leagues right now.”

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Romero had top-10 talent with a 93-96 mph fastball and a solid slider and changeup. He went 4-5, 3.51 with 85 strikeouts and 20 walks in 49 innings this year for the Cougars. But he was suspended once in 2016 for a violation of team rules and again in April. He was reinstated this year after missing a month but then dismissed in May after getting in a fight with a teammate, according to the Houston Chronicle. At the time, he was leading the nation with 15.72 strikeouts per nine innings.

The Chronicle also reported that this year’s suspension was a result of Romero failing a drug test and appearing in uniform holding a bong in a picture taken by young fans. A source told the Chronicle that last year’s suspension was because of his lack of effort in conditioning.

Romero throws from a low three-quarters slot and is particularly tough on lefthanders. His slider is a plus pitch, and the change offers deception.

Last year as a sophomore, Romero was an all-conference selection after going 6-4, 2.29. He led the team with 113 strikeouts. As a freshman, he was named the American Athletic Conference rookie of the year and was second-team all-conference while making 22 appearances, including eight starts.

Romero, who is advised by the Scott Boras Corp., pitched in relief in 19 of his 47 college outings. Overall, he was 17-13, 2.43 with 290 strikeouts and 70 walks in 226 innings. The 21-year-old has a chance to rise through the minors quickly if he shows improved makeup, but general manager Mike Rizzo quashed discussion of Romero perhaps being an option for this year’s beleaguered major league bullpen. The franchise plans to develop him as a starter.

“We expect him to conduct himself with maturity and be a professional—and be accountable for his actions and to immerse himself within our organization,” Rizzo said. “Our player development guys do a really good job of teaching them the Nationals’ way.”

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/nationals-plan-develop-seth-romero-starter/#3kdoM6sF5rdzdcZ8.99

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I still think he'll be up in September...just a hunch.

Good clubhouse for an asshole to be in. Guys like Dusty, Maddux, etc won't put up with that crap, and will probably have him yes sir and no sir in no time. One of the best things about having a good mix of veterans and young guys in the clubhouse

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Good clubhouse for an asshole to be in. Guys like Dusty, Maddux, etc won't put up with that crap, and will probably have him yes sir and no sir in no time. One of the best things about having a good mix of veterans and young guys in the clubhouse

I like the pick. We have a good, strong clubhouse. No shenanigans like in New York

Archived