Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Headphone and music/sound aficionados

justice98

Does anybody use a DAC to play their music? I'm thinking of getting a portable DAC to use when I play my music on my phone or laptop. I dont technically NEED it from what I understand, because my phone and headphone combo is adequate, but I'm gonna get it anyway. I gathered any headphones with an impedance of <80 doesnt need a DAC. My Audio Technicas are fine, but I want some new high quality earbuds.

But are regular people doing this or just sound heads that spend a lot on their audio setup?

Why earbuds ? 

Noise cancelling headphones are better IMO. 

I have 2 pair of Sony headphones that are great and reasonable. One for the computer, and one for exercise. 

Sound quality is pretty good, but I guess that I never expect them to sound any better than they already do for streamed music. 

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Sonos - Someone please explain the pluses and minuses of Sonos.

By their claims, they can make a source like Spotify or Apple Music sound better.  What is the real deal with Sonos?

I'd be interested in that too.  My take from just reading about it a few times is that it's the best quality sound you can get without wires.  I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I had extensively researched earbud sound quality and come to the conclusion that the best bang for the buck was either of these two:

Panasonic Ergo Fit

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008

These have great sound quality for both the price (under $10) and the size, These are ideal for working out and sound better than most of the $60 sets I've had in the past.  

Monoprice 109927 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Earphones

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109927-Enhanced-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B00B8QCMHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480441237&sr=1-2&keywords=monoprice+headphones

Also $10.  The sound quality is slightly better than the Panasonics due to the massive driver, but it makes them a bit unwieldy so I don't like them for working out.

Problem with both of these:  They have 3.5mm jacks and therefore will not work with an iPhone 7.  The ****ing adapter that Apple included is worthless.  I cannot find good earbuds that are iPhone 7 compatible for less than $100, even on Cyber Monday.  

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Why earbuds ? 

Noise cancelling headphones are better IMO. 

I have 2 pair of Sony headphones that are great and reasonable. One for the computer, and one for exercise. 

Sound quality is pretty good, but I guess that I never expect them to sound any better than they already do for streamed music. 

I already have some Audio Technica ATH-50s which I'm happy with. I'm after earbuds in this scenario for work.  I dont feel comfortable using big headphones at my desk.

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Black 598s were 200 on amazon for Black Friday. Might still be. 

I'll have to investigate.  I have some MEE P1 Pinnacles on my Christmas list.  

Archived