Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skyrim Remastered

codeorama

On October 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Anyone played the remaster yet? If so, thoughts?

I've been playing it since release and I love it.  I played the original on Xbox 360 and PS3 and to be honest, its always been one of my top 3 games.  Playing it again made me remember why I love it so much.  It feels updated.  I do not feel like I'm playing a backwards compatible game.  It looks like it belongs with the new generation.  

The story and world are just first class.  There is SO MUCH TO DO.  I previously beat the main quest, the civil war quest (both sides), all 3 faction quests and the dlc quests previously and still love the game enough to want to do it again.

Oh, cool. I've been reading some reviews from people who say that there isn't much visual difference between the remaster and the original  But I saw a vid where they were doing side by side comparisons and everything did look different. besides, I trust someone's opinion here more than I would some random critic on the internet

18 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I love that this is the same Predicto who was once allegedly at a lawyer party where people were pouring Dom Perignon down their pants.

The day you find out that you passed the California Bar, anything goes (especially if the Firm is paying for it).  I hated being a skyscraper lawyer, but there was no shortage of money, that's for sure.     

On 10/31/2016 at 5:31 PM, Predicto said:

Yes, wards are useless but mage armor helps some.  But not nearly as much as having actual heavy armor, which is why everyone who uses magic plays a battlemage.

I try to go pure caster, but its really hard. 

What difficulty?  I've gone pure caster (Destruction) on Master.   I didn't even use potions or companions as I thought it makes the game too easy.

1) Due to the way level scalling works in Skyrim, the trick is you really have to focus on one or two schools.   And don't level other skills much you won't meet the skill requirements for the higher level abilities.  This means not wearing any light/heavy armor, not using swords/shields/bows, being in stealth mode, etc.  If possible, use staves if you run out of mana problems and can't cast spells.  At least this way you won't level these skills you shouldn't be using.   Of course some of this can't be helped (like levelling Speech when selling things, or reading a random book you don't know what bonus it gives you)    Except Enchanting and possibly Alchemy if you want to use potions frequently.  Also, I leveled Smithing as once I was able to smith Dwarven armor, you can get a tough of cash by making Dwarven armor from all the ingots you can pick up in Dwemer ruins.  

2) You need to get the higher level spells.   Easiest way to get these spells is buying them from the instructors at the Mage's Guilds in Winterhold.  Don't expect your Flames spell to be of much use after the first few levels

3) Get your mana regen as high as possible with enchantments/skills/etc. 

4) Stamina is pretty much a waste.  Put points into mana and health.   Past a certain point, you don't really need high mana as your regen should be high enough that you never run out of mana.

5) If going Destruction, get Impact as soon as possible.  It makes fights with most single opponents (that are affected by it), jokingly easy as you can "lock" them into a indefinitely stagger state until they die.

On 27/10/2016 at 9:01 PM, codeorama said:

Anyone have any mods to recommend??

I used the mod manager High textures pack (3), climates of Tamriel, sos pack, lurking in the shadows, DME lights, quest sea ghosts, pirates of the pacific, skyrim fighters guild, better quest objectives, dragonborn patch, CM merchants, Wymstooth, Helgen reborn, civil war repairs, TEG Solsteim, the beauty of Skyrim, wheels of Lull, etc...

The new one has a yellow veil, if you don't like it there is a mod to get rid of it. The mods use is different more like Fallout 4 through the game interface. It is more beautiful but not by much compared to the best graphic mods and if you're planning to play it in UHD it is going to take a toll on your graphic card (see your fps rate switching from one resolution to another).

14 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

1) Due to the way level scalling works in Skyrim, the trick is you really have to focus on one or two schools.   And don't level other skills much you won't meet the skill requirements for the higher level abilities.  This means not wearing any light/heavy armor, not using swords/shields/bows, being in stealth mode, etc.  If possible, use staves if you run out of mana problems and can't cast spells.  At least this way you won't level these skills you shouldn't be using.

You don't need to min-max in Elder Scrolls games.  I have no trouble getting through the game on high difficulties whether I power level characters or level in an organic way.  The game definitely rewards you for grinding, I played a lot of level 81 characters and the game is easy when you're that high.  The only enemies I ever had to worry about were dragons, and once you get good equipment and balance out your character's trees you can handle them fine.

I don't find min-maxing enjoyable TBH.  Especially in a massive open world game like Skyrim.  You miss a lot of content that way and it does tend take you out of the role playing mentality of the game.  Most of the fun of Skyrim is in crafting and exploring in a carefree way.  And it's fun being a high level and wandering into a ruins full of draugr death overlords and centurion masters.

I agree with you about relying on destruction magic though.  It's definitely viable.  It's nice because you don't need to take many perks in the tree at all to get the most out of it.  And in fact, lightning magic in particular is super useful for killing dragons because it's the only projectile that can reliably hit them in the air unless your one of those people that are crazy good at the archery.  Now there is a damage cap on the spells, whereas there is no upper limit to the damage of bows and melee weapons, which is what I think people are focusing on when they get frustrated with it.

So the key to viability at very high level is being able to spam spells.  And that means getting your enchanting up high enough to enchant equipment that will give you 100% reduction in the magicka cost of casting destruction spells.  This effect stacks, so you can make four pieces with 25% reduction and get there.  That means you're not using any magicka when you cast the spells and the only limiting factor is the time the casting animation takes.  Or if you don't mind using the alchemy glitch, you can make a ring or amulet that does 100% reduction pretty easily and have it on just one piece of equipment.  I used to make two rings and enchant them with dual effects that would take away the casting cost of four of the five magic trees and wander around like a god.

21 hours ago, Predicto said:

Consoles?    Consoles?

I played Morrowind on PC forever ago, and that's the last Elder Scrolls game I'll play on PC.  Cheating with the console command is just far too easy and I do not have the strength of character necessary to resist doing so.  Mods aren't worth breaking the game for me.  I need to be forced into grinding.

Between the console command, some strange exploits, and the ability to easily craft your own spells, I once had an invincible Nord that could do these Incredible Hulk-like leaps that basically gave him the power of flight, which was big in that game because it didn't have universal fast travel.  And I cast spells that were essentially nuclear bombs of elemental magic that couldn't be used in towns without killing every NPC.

I'm waiting for mods. Got the special edition free on steam and am planning to run through it at some point but it's worth the wait for mods that will improve pretty much everything. With the 64bit version (the most important change in my mind), there won't be RAM restrictions and the modded Skyrim people will be able to play will be amazing.

Archived