Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buddy Ryan has passed away

skinsdude

RIP to Buddy and condolences to Rex and Rob, but the victory over the Eagles in the playoffs following the '90 season, avenging the Body Bag Game and getting Buddy fired, has to be the most satisfying victory to me, aside from the Super Bowls and NFCCG over the Cowboys.

RIP to Buddy and condolences to Rex and Rob, but the victory over the Eagles in the playoffs following the '90 season, avenging the Body Bag Game and getting Buddy fired, has to be the most satisfying victory to me, aside from the Super Bowls and NFCCG over the Cowboys.

Probably the sweetest thing about that season was getting Buddy fired.

Didn't Brian Mitchell end up finishing at QB in that game?

Probably the sweetest thing about that season was getting Buddy fired.

Didn't Brian Mitchell end up finishing at QB is that game?

Yep. Watched some clips of it the other day on the NFLs top 10 most versatile.

Starts around 2 minutes.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d80747bf4/Top-Ten-Most-Versatile-Brian-Mitchell

Yes, one of my favorite football memories was seeing him in the post-game press conference after the 20-6 beat down the Redskins gave his Eagles in the playoff of the 1990 season.

He was so smug in the week leading up to that contest because of the "body bag game" earlier in the season. He wouldn't even talk about the Redskins the week before the game. Just assumed they would be an easy victory, and spent his time talking about the team they would face next- the 49ers. I guess he thought that was clever. :rolleyes:

Of course, they lost to Washington, and he had to stand up there and explain himself. It was great. A humiliated Eagles owner, I believe, fired him that night.

My prayers go out to his family, but he was a jerk of the world.

A great defensive coach, though.

My prayers go out to his family, but he was a jerk of the world.

A great defensive coach, though.

I don't know if he was a jerk in his life besides football. But on a football field, definately. And somehow, I like that, sports needs guys like that. You need that kind of rivalries.

He gaves us an hell of a division back in the 80's with Parcells and Gibbs. That was a freaking tough division. But they also gave us our best memories. You're not a great team without fierce opponents, and Buddy Ryan gave us that.

Watched the 85 Bears 30 for 30 recently. He was still an asshole.

With that said out of respect. RIP Buddy.

That is a great 30 for 30.

Was eye opening how little respect the players had for Ditka. Kinda comes off as a fraud.

And loved Jim McMahon drinking a beer at his first press conference. Could you imagine if someone did that now? Entire sports media would have a heart attack.

As much as I 'disliked' him as an Eagle, he was the architect of my all time favourite D. That Bears 46 was just brutal. I'm still waiting for a DC to have the balls to go all out kill mode like those guys. 

Condolences to his family. 

Hail.

He was a great defensive coach but he also had some great talent to work with at the Bears and Eagles. The Bears had Dent, McMichael, Perry and Dan Hampton up front with one of the best linebacker groups in NFL history behind them in Singletary, Wilbur Marshall (who was an animal) and Otis Wilson. That's one heck of a front 7.

With the Eagles he had Reggie White who might be the best D'Lineman in NFL history and Jerome Brown who was a beast at 3 tech.

No doubt he put those guys in a position to be successful and they believed in him and the scheme - but he had the horses as well.

Archived