Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/07/01/can-johnson-survive-his-first-weeks-in-no-10

Technically, there is no need for a vote of confidence in the new prime minister. And practically everything's been done to avoid one.

The Commons rises for the summer recess the day after he becomes PM, leaving almost no time for the Opposition to put down a motion under the Fixed-Terms Parliament Act and get it debated before the break.

Labour could try and delay the recess to allow this to happen and the Speaker, John Bercow, would probably enable it, but so far they've shown little inclination to try and force an immediate vote.

The only other possibility is that the Queen makes it a condition that Johnson puts down a motion of confidence in himself immediately to prove he can command a majority in the House. But that is unlikely.

The House of Commons will return for just over a week at the start of September before going into recess again for another three weeks for the party conference season. At this point Labour could move a vote of no-confidence. Will they try it then? Again it seems unlikely. It would mean scuppering their party conference to clear the decks for an October general election.

After that their next chance is October, when parliament returns - just weeks ahead of the Article 50 deadline.

Seriously, they're gonna waste all but a few weeks of the extension because the Brexit extremists refused to vote for their previous Prime Minister's exit deal.

8 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2019/07/01/can-johnson-survive-his-first-weeks-in-no-10

Seriously, they're gonna waste all but a few weeks of the extension because the Brexit extremists refused to vote for their previous Prime Minister's exit deal.

Not really. One of the few things in this whole debacle that has united a large group of people with varying opinions in both sides is that it was a terrible deal. 

What is risking wasting the extension is the length of time taken to vote for a new leader of the Conservatives, then the insistence on continuing with recess and party conferences. No apparent sense of urgency whatsoever. Considering the importance of the issue, they should be working on emergency timelines, with recess and conferences scrapped, or at least significantly scaled down.

Of course, the fact the referendum was held in the first place with no clear leader and defined plan for a Brexit strategy is borderline criminal.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:59 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is Greece still having all those economic woes?  Didn't they go bankrupt or something a while back?

They kept getting bailed out and were finally able to exit successfully last year

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-greece-bailout/greece-exits-final-bailout-successfully-esm-idUSKCN1L40OG

Bottom line is the EuroZone wasn't going to let a member fail, any more than the US is going to let one of its state governments fail.   

James said after the vote the majority was emphatic because of the concerns of so many ministers and ex-ministers who rebelled or abstained. She hinted more resignations could come after Johnson was confirmed as leader.

“I think we have to wait and see what happens next. Jeremy Hunt would behave in an appropriate way, he does not believe in proroguing parliament, which is just too extreme, so I don’t expect people to resign until they know for sure what the outcome is next week,” she said.

“It is difficult for anyone to resign, yes, and very difficult for me. I love my job and I felt I still had lot more to do. Unless you are completely sure, it is very hard. And I’ve been through the lobby to support the PM’s deal three times. It’s not been easy for me. My constituents voted emphatically to leave and I will honour that. But when it comes to protecting the right of parliament, that is really important.”

Keith Simpson, a Tory veteran, said he planned to toast his first ever rebellion with a glass of wine. “This is the first time I have rebelled against my party in 22 years in parliament,” he said. “This is a huge national issue. I said months ago to my local paper and my association that I was totally against no deal. So this is the first time I have rebelled but you can get a taste for it.”

Yikes, 41 vote margin is not good for Johnson.