Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day: 2016 #Redskins vs Steelers

Twelfth man

I can't wait until we welcome Game Day 2016 #Redskins vs Steelers!  Four months from today, at the conclusion of the penultimate game of the first week of the 97th NFL season, we will have our first glimpse of how the Redskins might do.  I have come to conclude that offseason programs, workouts and minicamps, and pre-season games, do not indicate to fans whether the Redskins will play well or not during the regular season.  While it seems like it will take forever for September 12th to arrive, I hope that players on this year's Redskins roster do not suffer any impactful injuries while preparing for it.

So what can we expect from this first game of the season?

The game against the Steelers, 10-6 last season, will likely show how the Redskins will perform against teams with a winning record at least toward the beginning of the season.  In 2015, Washington’s best result against a team with a winning record, was a two touchdown loss.  How great it would be to start the season with a win against the Steelers on Monday Night Football!

The game against the Steelers will also indicate, by how much the Redskins' rushing attack improved.  Trying to outscore the best teams in the league with just an air attack is not a formula for long-term success.  Keeping opponents guessing whether we will run or pass will lead to more victories; it will also allow us to better control the game clock.  Washington was 30th last season (3rd worst) with 3.7 yards gained per attempt.  How do the Redskins' offensive line and running backs get better and fair against Tomlin's defense?

The game against the Steelers will convey how much Washington's defensive lines and safeties perform against one of the league's most formidable offenses led by Big Ben, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell / DeAngelo Williams among other stars.  Last season, the Steelers had the 3rd most offensive yards, and the Redskins gave up the 5th most.  Washington’s rushing defense allowed 4.8 yards per attempt, 31st in the league (2nd to last).

Pittsburgh fans travel well; this first game will show how loyal we Redskins fans are to avoid selling tickets to Steelers faithful; it would be really embarrassing for this to occur in the home opener.

Scot McCloughan has brought the expectation of an upgraded roster.  After last pre-season, I expected Kirk Cousins and rookies to do well but not as well as they did.  I am excited about Cousins second full season, continued growth of Jordan Reed, Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, Matt Jones, Jamison Crowder, Morgan Moses, Dustin Hopkins, Tress Way, Chris Baker and Bashaud Breeland, and contributions from the two new Joshes -- Norman and Doctson, Junior Galette, since he didn't play last season, and Su'a Cravens.  If McCloughan has the same level of success with the draft class, then at least one other draft pick will contribute this season as well.

In sum, the rushing attack and total defense, including against the run, must be much better to have a better season; in 2015, falling behind in games and the imbalance in these areas ended up preventing our team from being competitive against the better teams.

Will the pass set up the run?  Will we again have more takeaways than giveaways?  Can we continue to reduce the number of penalties, back down to a total in the double digits?  What will be the keys and game plan for Redskins victories?

Bring on the Steelers in the season opener, a great contest against a non-division opponent!  While we stand by, share any thoughts you have below.

It is May right?

Yes it is, but this game is already a focal point of the Redskins.  Earlier this week, Bruce Allen said: "We're worried about the Pittsburgh Steelers."1  This game will be the first of six games against 2015 playoff teams and the only such game in the first seven weeks of the season.  To set the appropriate tone for the start of the season, a great performance in this nationally televised game will be extremely important.  I can't wait.  HTTR.

1 - Inside the Locker Room.  ESPN 980 WTEM.  May 16, 2016

• 3 months later...

Archived