Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: The Ultimate 22-Player Team Fielded From All Super Bowls

CBass1724

I thought you all would like to check out this list the USA Today put together for the ultimate 22-player team from all of the Super Bowls.  It looks like we had a few Redskins make the team!  All three were on offense - Ricky Sanders, Joe Jacoby, and Jim Lachey.

Ricky Sanders, Washington, Super Bowl XXII

Doug Williams and Timmy Smith get all of the recognition for Washington’s 42-10 win over Denver, but Sanders quietly put up one of the best performances by a receiver in Super Bowl history, doing most of his damage in the team’s record-setting second quarter. Sanders caught an 80-yard touchdown for Washington’s first score and followed that up with a 50-yard score 10 minutes later. He finished with nine catches for 191 yards.

Offensive line

LT Jim Lachey (WSH, XXVI), LG Gene Upshaw (OAK, XI), C Mark Stepnoski (DAL, XXVII), RG Larry Little (MIA, VII), RT Joe Jacoby (WSH, XXVI)

Washington gets two tackles on the team from the 1991 squad, which dominated the Bills formidable front seven in Super Bowl XXVI. The likes of Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley and Cornelius Bennett could not get close to Mark Rypien, providing him with enough time to carve up Buffalo’s secondary en route to winning MVP. The guards are Upshaw and Little, both Hall of Famers who were integral parts of dominating run games. Stepnoski was the leader of one of the best lines in history and was a big part of Dallas’ blowout win over Buffalo in Pasadena.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/the-best-super-bowl-performances-at-every-position

Click the link for more

How on earth can Darrell Green not be on this team?

Probably for the same reason that Ricky Sanders (one monster game and one catch in his other Super Bowl) beats out someone like Michael Irvin. The criteria is simply which players had the biggest Super Bowl moments. I know that Green intercepted Jim Kelly in Super Bowl XXVI, but he never really had a series of signature plays or anything.  

Edit - looking at it more closely, they even name the individual Super Bowls. So, they are basically picking a team by choosing the best games played at each position. So, it's not even a compilation of all Super Bowls. 

Pretty cool way to look at things. 

No Riggins? The article says Allens run is one of the most iconic in NFL history. But it's not as iconic as Riggins 4th and 1 "He's Gone, He's Gone" run. Sorry. And that was Riggins 8th or 9th straight carry. There has never been a Super Bowl running back like Riggins. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTMi9Er05ss&list=PL5irz9QbIRCEAlkj91cGnIgIrm4aedOdM

This was the instant my mood changed

Same here. The pass and the catch was so smooth that I felt somehow, someway we were going to win this one... and of course the second quarter confirmed it.

No Riggins? The article says Allens run is one of the most iconic in NFL history. But it's not as iconic as Riggins 4th and 1 "He's Gone, He's Gone" run. Sorry. And that was Riggins 8th or 9th straight carry. There has never been a Super Bowl running back like Riggins. Period.

I agree, good point. The Raiders were already ahead 28-9 before Allens run. Nice run, but didn't change the game much. The Dolphins were leading 17-13 before Riggos run which changed the game quite a bit.

Probably for the same reason that Ricky Sanders (one monster game and one catch in his other Super Bowl) beats out someone like Michael Irvin. The criteria is simply which players had the biggest Super Bowl moments. I know that Green intercepted Jim Kelly in Super Bowl XXVI, but he never really had a series of signature plays or anything.  

Edit - looking at it more closely, they even name the individual Super Bowls. So, they are basically picking a team by choosing the best games played at each position. So, it's not even a compilation of all Super Bowls. 

Pretty cool way to look at things. 

You have it right for this list. But they also did a list of the players with the best SB careers, and DG is also not on that list. That's the one I believe he should be on. There are actually no Redskins on the team at all.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/all-time-super-bowl-team-2016

I have an issue with no Darrell Green, but I can definitely live with Lachey and Jacoby. At long last those bookends are recognised as probably the greatest ever pair of offensive tackles on the same line (I challenge anyone to contradict that)

what's funny is that that's the year they weren't supposed to be bookends.  They moved Jacoby to LG but Ed Simmons went down in the second game

You have it right for this list. But they also did a list of the players with the best SB careers, and DG is also not on that list. That's the one I believe he should be on. There are actually no Redskins on the team at all.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/all-time-super-bowl-team-2016

I can see why we'd want him on that team, but it's a minor gripe at best. Again, I know he intercepted Kelly in his last Super Bowl, but can't really remember anything special he did in the other 2 (blowout loss to the Raiders and blowout win over the Broncos). What did he do in those three games that really distinguishes him over other guys who have played in more and made bigger plays? 

I can see why we'd want him on that team, but it's a minor gripe at best. Again, I know he intercepted Kelly in his last Super Bowl, but can't really remember anything special he did in the other 2 (blowout loss to the Raiders and blowout win over the Broncos). What did he do in those three games that really distinguishes him over other guys who have played in more and made bigger plays? 

Isn't the entire point about lock down corners that you never notice them?

It's a bit like O linemen who totally neutralise a pass rusher?

Quiz. Who was the first offensive lineman named NFC player of the week? 

And what did he do to earn that accolade? - (clue - it is redskins related!)

(there's also been Brian Waters of the Chiefs in 2004 and Tyron Smith of Dallas 2014 who also got offensive player of the week, but the point I'm making is the award is incredibly rare)

Isn't the entire point about lock down corners that you never notice them?

It's a bit like O linemen who totally neutralise a pass rusher?

Quiz. Who was the first offensive lineman named NFC player of the week? 

And what did he do to earn that accolade?

(there's also been Brian Waters of the Chiefs in 2004 and Tyron Smith of Dallas 2014 who also got offensive player of the week, but the point I'm making is the award is incredibly rare)

Sure, but what would keep about 27 other CBs from saying the same thing about their Super Bowls? Just to be sure I understand, you believe that Darrell Green (2-1 in SBs including 1 interception) outperformed Adderly (3-1 in SBs including a pick-6) and Blount (4-0 in SBs including 2 interceptions)?  

If so, I'd just like to understand what he did so well that overcomes fewer big plays and fewer wins. I'm not being an ass, I love Green but we have to also admit that not every great Redskin is better than other teams' players. 

Sure, but what would keep about 27 other CBs from saying the same thing about their Super Bowls? Just to be sure I understand, you believe that Darrell Green (2-1 in SBs including 1 interception) outperformed Adderly (3-1 in SBs including a pick-6) and Blount (4-0 in SBs including 2 interceptions)?  

If so, I'd just like to understand what he did so well that overcomes fewer big plays and fewer wins. I'm not being an ass, I love Green but we have to also admit that not every great Redskin is better than other teams' players. 

I'm not taking issue with your view - he's up against other HOF corners so it's a crowded podium - just ask yourself this. How many receptions for how many yards were made throwing on the receiver he was covering (i think it's safe to say that he was pretty much man coverage on the  opposition's number 1 receiver). 

Some DBs don't get the interceptions their talent merits as QBs throw away from them

I'm not taking issue with your view - he's up against other HOF corners so it's a crowded podium - just ask yourself this. How many receptions for how many yards were made throwing on the receiver he was covering (i think it's safe to say that he was pretty much man coverage on the  opposition's number 1 receiver). 

Some DBs don't get the interceptions their talent merits as QBs throw away from them

I can't answer that - I have no clue. Are you guessing that he locked someone down (in man coverage, nonetheless) or do you have those numbers? Also, do you know that he did it any better than the guys ahead of him on the list? Again, those are honest questions...if you have some metric that shows that he was considerably better in coverage than Addley and Blount, I could certainly be convinced that he earned it. I agree that just interceptions aren't a good enough measure. 

I agree. it's is a minor gripe. You are probably right in that I am not sure he made any plays or had any games that stood out as amazing. But a big part of that is people just did not go after him. They stayed away from his side. His biggest game was probably SB XXVI where he has 2 tackles, 2 passes defensed and an Interception.     

Here is what they wrote about the other CBs:

CB: Herb Adderley, GB/DAL

Adderley was a member of Green Bay’s first two title teams, returning an interception 60 yards for a score in Super Bowl II. He played in two more for Dallas, winning one and losing one. HM: Ty Law, NE

Steelers.jpgCB: Mel Blount, PIT

Blount played for four winners, and contributed with an interception in Super Bowls IX and XIII. HM: Deion Sanders, SF/DAL

Adderley and Blount were in a time when CBs could maul WRs. As for Deion Sanders, I don't see anything makes him stand out more in his 2 SBs than Darrell Green did in his 3.

What did the others guys do that was so much better than DG? I ask that honestly. I looked for game logs and could not find anything for Adderley and Blount.

Again, it's just a minor thing for the most part and I can see the argument for Blount. But I mostly get tired of hearing how Deion Sanders was the greatest CB ever and he revolutionized the position. He was very good but at least part of  that was he had a big mouth and was a punk showboat. IMO Darrell Green was a better and more complete CB than Sanders, and that includes in the SBs.

I can't answer that - I have no clue. Are you guessing that he locked someone down (in man coverage, nonetheless) or do you have those numbers? Also, do you know that he did it any better than the guys ahead of him on the list? Again, those are honest questions...if you have some metric that shows that he was considerably better in coverage than Addley and Blount, I could certainly be convinced that he earned it. I agree that just interceptions aren't a good enough measure. 

No - I'll be honest and say I haven't analysed DG's 3 superbowls. But I know he gave up nothing of any significance (against SB pass happy teams like Elway's Denver (lousy run game - lived and died by the pass) and Kelly's K-gun offense). Elway's opening bomb to Ricky Nattiel was not against DG ;)

believe me, like just about everyone else on this forum I've relived all our big games on replay over and over. But I maintain not noticing a corner is like not noticing an offensive lineman - and that's why it's the ultimate team game and it takes connoisseurs like me and thee to appreciate these great players.

DG has three rings and was an essential member of each of those teams D's (leaving aside his HOF credentials) if that isn't enough I don't know what is.

Try and think of each SB winning team without him in the secondary. No? I thought not - it's not a particularly good feeling is it?

P.s. I've just rewatched the Bills superbowl. Maybe we should give the spot to Brad Edwards ;) (look it up :P)

No - I'll be honest and say I haven't analysed DG's 3 superbowls. But I know he gave up nothing of any significance (against SB pass happy teams like Elway's Denver (lousy run game - lived and died by the pass) and Kelly's K-gun offense). Elway's opening bomb to Ricky Nattiel was not against DG ;)

believe me, like just about everyone else on this forum I've relived all our big games on replay over and over. But I maintain not noticing a corner is like not noticing an offensive lineman - and that's why it's the ultimate team game and it takes connoisseurs like me and thee to appreciate these great players.

DG has three rings and was an essential member of each of those teams D's (leaving aside his HOF credentials) if that isn't enough I don't know what is.

Try and think of each SB winning team without him in the secondary. No? I thought not - it's not a particularly good feeling is it?

P.s. I've just rewatched the Bills superbowl. Maybe we should give the spot to Brad Edwards ;) (look it up :P)

Agree about Edwards...he played out of his mind. 

Green won 2 and lost 1. He wasn't a part of our 1982 championship team...but that's not all that relevant to the discussion. Again, I don't disagree with you that his ability to lock down receivers was critical to our success against Denver and Buffalo. All I'm really trying to say is that you could probably say that about several other CBs who have played in the 46 other Super Bowls...especially the guys they named over Green. 

I hope I'm not coming across as anti-Green or anti-Redskins. It's just that when you get into the "they didn't throw against him" argument, it becomes a very subjective evaluation. So, I'd almost have to see that the guys chosen over Green accumulated those better stats but also yielded more completions/yards/touchdowns. That's obviously possible, but I don't have a way of knowing that. 

I hope I'm not coming across as anti-Green or anti-Redskins. It's just that when you get into the "they didn't throw against him" argument, it becomes a very subjective evaluation. So, I'd almost have to see that the guys chosen over Green accumulated those better stats but also yielded more completions/yards/touchdowns. That's obviously possible, but I don't have a way of knowing that. 

No - you're not coming across as anti-Green - you're being objective and rational

I've got my homer hat on that's all

It's a tough call - as I said the podium is crowded. I respect your input and analysis but I'll bolster my argument with a little anecdotal.

"They didn't throw against him" I see doesn't hold a lot of weight with you. I'll give you a name that is, unfortunately, burnt into my football memory - Dennis Woodberry.

Who? Well he's someone they did throw against. Again and again and again. For big gain after touchdown after touchdown.

For some reason he was our other starting cornerback in our ill fated 88 season (Gibbs I only losing season) - and Dennis Woodberry  is quite possibly the worst man-on-man corner I have ever seen in the NFL. I cannot remember a single thing Darrell Green did that season ;)

Agree about Edwards...he played out of his mind. 

Green won 2 and lost 1. He wasn't a part of our 1982 championship team...but that's not all that relevant to the discussion. Again, I don't disagree with you that his ability to lock down receivers was critical to our success against Denver and Buffalo. All I'm really trying to say is that you could probably say that about several other CBs who have played in the 46 other Super Bowls...especially the guys they named over Green. 

I get what you are saying, and at least for me I do not see this an anti-anything discussion. You have said nothing that is not fair.

The more I look at it and think about it, I am probably OK with Adderley and even Mel Bount- The accomplishments of their teams are probably enough and honestly I can't get their statistics. So I don't have the data to create a solid argument. Probably not looking hard enough but it's not that important is the grand scheme of things.

I guess my bigger annoyance is that he should be the honorable mention, not Deion or even Ty Law, but especially Deion. DGs numbers were actually better than Sanders and Law doesn't have anything over DG other than it's more recent. sanders is there on name alone. It just pisses me off that an asshole like sanders gets so much recognition when he was sissy of a tackler and was in 1 less SB than DG. Not to mention DG was consistently more important to his team than sanders ever was.

I guess my bigger annoyance is that he should be the honorable mention, not Deion or even Ty Law, but especially Deion. DGs numbers were actually better than Sanders and Law doesn't have anything over DG other than it's more recent. sanders is there on name alone. It just pisses me off that an asshole like sanders gets so much recognition when he was sissy of a tackler and was in 1 less SB than DG. Not to mention DG was consistently more important to his team than sanders ever was.

Yeah - I hate it when they mention deion in the same breath as DG

I remember they looked at deion's stats when man on man against Jerry Rice and extrapolated those numbers over a season and then did the same with Green. Deion gave Rice an all-pro season :lol: Green most certainly didn't. Wish I could find that article

Archived