Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

a solution to "was the QB's arm going forward" judgement call

quettefan

I'm getting tired of the game delays when the referee's break to determine whether a QB's arm was going forward (the endless replays, the cuts to commercial, the incessant commentator "he said/she said" dribble), and also of the delays when the officials huddle to debate the merits of the tuck rule.

SO, here's my overly simplistic solution:

if the ball hits the ground behind the line of scrimmage, it's a live ball

...period, end of discussion

Wouldn't this completely and totally eliminate the question as to whether the QB's arm was in motion?

• If it's a screen and the ball doesn't cross the line of scrimmage in the air: too bad, it's a fumble
  • QB tries to tuck and the ball hits the ground?: too bad, it's a fumble. 

What about spiking the ball to conserve time?:

this legal play should be preserved, so I'd create another rule that allows the QB to go to the official and say "invoke the spike rule"...which would cause a loss of down and run 2 seconds off the clock

what do you think?

No, I think it's, perhaps not fine as it is, but better than what you propose.  I understand your rationale for it, but I think the issue with replay is that someone down on the field is looking under a hood at what is presumably not the largest screen in the world. Most of these plays, it's clear within 10 seconds what happened and what the call should be.  I really don't understand the delays once the ref is at the hood or the replay is with the booth official.  THere are exceptions but most exceptions aren't the forward pass. It's clear when slowed down when a QB's arm is moving forward and if he completes an actual throwing motion or if it's stopped mid-way and the ball pops out.

Again, I think the issue is with officials and how they go about reviewing, not so much the rule itself.

Looking at your rationale for the spike rule, your proposal invites more issues.  More importantly, coaches won't like it as it is extra time for them to run to an official and say "we are spiking the ball."  Also, there are legitimate passes, screens and check down passes, that occur behind the line of scrimmage and I think those should be preserved.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind some change but not for reasons of replay.  Rather I think the refs should be blowing the whistle sooner when they know a QB is about to be sacked.  Its first off player safety.  Additionally, it prevents crap plays like Eli did last week to preserve a scoring drive against the Panthers.  He was about to be sacked and was able to "pass" the ball to the ground near a player.  Initially ruled a sack/fumble, it was changed to an incomplete pass.

Had the refs ruled it a sack sooner, it would have ended a play like that but also would have prevented the "fumble."  

I don't think refs are otherwise taking too long to review plays.  

I'd like to see the "crew" in NY step their game up. It seems like the replay on TV is able to get cued up pretty quick. Why can't NY get review done faster and let them make those calls?

I agree. Most of the time it's easy to make a decision within 15 seconds. If it's not clear, then the call STANDS.

I'm getting tired of the game delays when the referee's break to determine whether a QB's arm was going forward (the endless replays, the cuts to commercial, the incessant commentator "he said/she said" dribble), and also of the delays when the officials huddle to debate the merits of the tuck rule.

SO, here's my overly simplistic solution:

if the ball hits the ground behind the line of scrimmage, it's a live ball

...period, end of discussion

Wouldn't this completely and totally eliminate the question as to whether the QB's arm was in motion?

• If it's a screen and the ball doesn't cross the line of scrimmage in the air: too bad, it's a fumble
  • QB tries to tuck and the ball hits the ground?: too bad, it's a fumble. 

What about spiking the ball to conserve time?:

this legal play should be preserved, so I'd create another rule that allows the QB to go to the official and say "invoke the spike rule"...which would cause a loss of down and run 2 seconds off the clock

what do you think?

No to all.  I'm of the opinion they should rule it as they see it.  As much as I despise instant replay, since it seems it's not going away, then just have NFL Inc. radio down to the field (no need to go under the hood) if it is fumble/incomplete pass.  As mentioned above me, they are normally pretty clear quickly.  But...if it's up to me, the call stands on the field.  I hate instant replay except in the case of scores.

Archived