Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#Redskins Press Release: LEE GREENWOOD TO PERFORM “GOD BLESS THE USA” PRIOR TO KICKOFF ON SUNDAY

TK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

November 12, 2015

LEE GREENWOOD TO PERFORM “GOD BLESS THE USA”

PRIOR TO KICKOFF ON SUNDAY

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – Academy of Country Music Award-winning artist Lee Greenwood will perform his iconic, patriotic song “God Bless the U.S.A.” prior to kickoff Sunday, Nov. 15 at FedExField, presented by ACM Lifting Lives®.

The Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation (WRCF) and Redskins Salute will host 200 military surviving family members from TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) at the Redskins’ game against the New Orleans Saints. The families will receive a red, white or blue star to represent their fallen hero during an on-field presentation as Greenwood sings live.

Voted the most recognizable patriotic song in America, Greenwood’s self-penned “God Bless the U.S.A.” has sold over 1 million copies and has been in the top five on the country singles charts three times (1991, 2001, 2003), giving it the distinction of being the only song in any genre of music to achieve that feat. It also reached No. 1 on the pop charts after Sept. 11, 2001.

“I am honored to be invited to sing my patriotic anthem, ‘God Bless the U.S.A.’ for the families of fallen heroes and veterans who will be on the field for the Redskins/Saints football game,” Greenwood said. “We must always honor and remember those who have given their lives for our freedom, and seeing their families face-to-face on Sunday is sure to be an emotional moment for me, and for all Americans who are witnessing it. It will be an important and poignant moment to kick-off what’s sure to be a great game.”

Fans are encouraged to arrive early to FedExField for Greenwood’s performance.

Archived