Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washingtonian - The Oral History of Joe Theismann's Broken Leg

Dan T.

I'm way too young to remember the incident, but a couple of observations:

The statement, "Anybody of a certain age - Redskins fan or not - remembers the horrific moment on Monday night, November 18, 1985." VERY TRUE.  I've lived in the midwest since I finished HS and I've had a number of conversations with older football fans who have no particular connection to the Redskins (or DC), but still remember watching that play.

I remember watching an interview with Theismann from the 90s where he admits that he probably needed that play to happen to move on with his life, or else would've never given up football on his own.

The story I've heard about the Giants that night was that LT was so shellshocked by the play that he wasn't the same LB for the rest of the night, hence the W for the Redskins.  I'm not sure how true that is, but I have a hard time imagining anything overtaking LT's competitiveness at his prime (well except the one obvious thing).

The story I've heard about the Giants that night was that LT was so shellshocked by the play that he wasn't the same LB for the rest of the night, hence the W for the Redskins.  I'm not sure how true that is, but I have a hard time imagining anything overtaking LT's competitiveness at his prime (well except the one obvious thing).

I'm not sure I agree with you.  The first clue viewers had that something was horribly, horribly wrong was L.T.'s reaction to the injury.  You could sense the terror and panic in his actions - his hands to his helmet in an "Oh my God" gesture, the way he was frantically waving to the sidelines.  Clearly he was highly disturbed by what he saw.

I don't know that it "led to a W," but I have little trouble believing that L.T. - and the rest of the players who witnessed the injury and aftermath up close - were profoundly affected by it and that their play might have reflected that.

Freshman year of college sitting in the dorm lounge with my girlfriend yelling for them to bench JT because he was sucking it up so badly.  Then he gets hurt and we're like... oh.... Then Jay comes in and throws the bomb and we're on our way.  It was quite the night to remember.

For someone who clearly wanted to mess up Theismann intentionally, Taylor sure did put on one hell of a show, showing remorse/shock, motioning for the trainers, walking around in disbelief, then going to see him while he was in the hospital.

Yup. Clearly malicious. Then the blatant hypocrisy afterwards. Congrats.

Yes you are right. How could I think a fine human being like L. Taylor would ever want to hurt the other team's QB.

Yes you are right. How could I think a fine human being like L. Taylor would ever want to hurt the other team's QB.

1.) You have no proof that he intended to severely injure Theismann.

2.) His actions afterwards do not support your dumb claim

3.) Of course defensive players wanted to knock offensive players the hell out, especially QB's, and did plenty of extracurricular stuff after the whistle. Same with offensive players. Nevermind that on its own merit, football has and always will be a violent sport, in which violent things happen whether people want them to or not. In other news, the sky is blue.

Clearly he exhibited afterwards the actions of someone who maliciously intended to end Joe Theismann's career. Rat ****.

Lets get Eli too. 30 years of cold, fresh revenge

Are you referring to his drug use or the underage prostitute?

Have you not read any literature or history? Many terribly flawed, indeed by most standards, evil people are still human (except psychopaths but let's assume LT isn't one) and have understandable reactions to the sudden and awful appearance of reality into a game, to the suffering and pain experienced by one of their brothers-in-arms or colleagues.

There were Japanese officers who wept in shame after the Rape of Nanjing, there were honorable Nazi Party members, including an ambassador or consult who saved some civilians during that very same atrocity.  Many "great men and women" have themselves taken part in unspeakable acts of violence or cruelty while also showing great emotion and humanity. Peter the Great personally executed and tortured people after the Streltsy Uprising, Caesar paraded Vercingetorix and executed him per custom, enslaved tens of thousands, but was also upset and moved when presented with his friend and rival Pompey's head and was probably killed because his policy after winning against the Optimates was one of clemency. I can't speak for LT and whether he knew the girl was underage or not, but even if he was deadset on sleeping with an underage girl or getting into fights, it wouldn't change that he seemed genuinely disturbed and compassionate with regard to Joe's injury and would take it back if he could (though I think he's right to say he's not guilty because it wasn't a dirty play.)

Are you referring to his drug use or the underage prostitute?

Have you not read any literature or history? Many terribly flawed, indeed by most standards, evil people are still human (except psychopaths but let's assume LT isn't one) and have understandable reactions to the sudden and awful appearance of reality into a game, to the suffering and pain experienced by one of their brothers-in-arms or colleagues.

There were Japanese officers who wept in shame after the Rape of Nanjing, there were honorable Nazi Party members, including an ambassador or consult who saved some civilians during that very same atrocity.  Many "great men and women" have themselves taken part in unspeakable acts of violence or cruelty while also showing great emotion and humanity. Peter the Great personally executed and tortured people after the Streltsy Uprising, Caesar paraded Vercingetorix and executed him per custom, enslaved tens of thousands, but was also upset and moved when presented with his friend and rival Pompey's head and was probably killed because his policy after winning against the Optimates was one of clemency. I can't speak for LT and whether he knew the girl was underage or not, but even if he was deadset on sleeping with an underage girl or getting into fights, it wouldn't change that he seemed genuinely disturbed and compassionate with regard to Joe's injury and would take it back if he could (though I think he's right to say he's not guilty because it wasn't a dirty play.)

Here is some history. Bountygate.

1.) You have no proof that he intended to severely injure Theismann.

2.) His actions afterwards do not support your dumb claim

3.) Of course defensive players wanted to knock offensive players the hell out, especially QB's, and did plenty of extracurricular stuff after the whistle. Same with offensive players. Nevermind that on its own merit, football has and always will be a violent sport, in which violent things happen whether people want them to or not. In other news, the sky is blue.

Clearly he exhibited afterwards the actions of someone who maliciously intended to end Joe Theismann's career. Rat ****.

Lets get Eli too. 30 years of cold, fresh revenge

Many people do things and right after they do them they have regrets. News flash, people loose their tempers.

Many people do things and right after they do them they have regrets. News flash, people loose their tempers.

So because people lose their tempers and regret decisions they made, clearly it proves Lawrence Taylor decided he wanted to crush Theismann like a tin can because...... he could.

Whatever. Dude's done enough bad things, so let's just stick to the facts instead of trying to pretend we can know every detail of what was going on inside a football player's mind on a specific play that happened 30 years ago.

As bad as Theismann was playing that year, there was no way Gibbs was going to bench him. Joe had earned the right to try and play himself out of his slump. It was the same thing with Rypien in 92.

But let's say he never broke his leg that year. I wonder how much longer Joe would/could have played? 

So because people lose their tempers and regret decisions they made, clearly it proves Lawrence Taylor decided he wanted to crush Theismann like a tin can because...... he could.

Whatever. Dude's done enough bad things, so let's just stick to the facts instead of trying to pretend we can know every detail of what was going on inside a football player's mind on a specific play that happened 30 years ago.

The proof thing works both ways. You cannot prove LT did not want to hurt other players. I am saying guys loose their tempers in the heat of battle and do things they may or may not regret. I have a opinion from watching that pos play for over 10 years as living in N.J. and going to and watching many Giant games at the time. I have my opinion and you have yours but the fact remains that LT jumped on JT back and twisted him while his feet were planted and then a bunch of players fell on the pile while Joe could not get his leg free. No big deal. You guys can stick up for LT but I hate the guy.

Archived