Heraldnet.com:Time for Washington franchise to pick new nickname

TK

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/03/11/7/17721584.cfm

Published: Friday, November 7, 2003

Pro Forecast

Time for Washington franchise to pick new nickname

By Scott Johnson

Herald Writer

We write the word over and over, dozens of times in a week like this. Perhaps had I been born to a different culture, or with another skin tone, I would cringe whenever the word appeared on my screen.

We pull our notes and computers out of the car, head toward FedEx Field, and side-step the group of protesters that impede our path. We watch a team of grown men, free-thinking adults, take the field when their nickname is called.

Redskins.

Conditioned and callused, we hear the word and don't think much of it anymore. Yet the nickname of the team the Seattle Seahawks will face this weekend is as offensive as any other racial slur.

Yes, the Cleveland Indians have a controversial name that gets accentuated by the caricatured logo. And the fans' chop at Atlanta Braves and Florida State University games also is behind the times.

But none of those are nearly as bad as Redskins. It is an insensitive word that has become so common in our society that we no longer shudder.

Everyone knows the story about the basketball team made up mostly of Native American students that recently played intramural college basketball under the nickname The Fightin' Honkies. It was good for a chuckle, maybe even caused some of us to think harder about the impact of some nicknames.

But it's just not the same. Not until there is an arena with 80,000 people that houses a team called the Fightin' Honkies every Sunday will the comparison be even close.

The standard line from people in the Washington Redskins' organization has been that the 36-year-old nickname honors Native American culture. That argument might hold some merit at places like the University of Illinois and Florida State, where teams are named after specific tribes. But the term "Redskins" is about as honorable to the culture as the word "pig" is to a police unit.

"I can certainly see how people could construe that in a sensitive way," Seahawks linebacker Chad Brown said of Washington's nickname. "We have moved toward more politically-correct times, so I think it's time to probably do away with it."

The controversy has no end in sight. Civil rights groups continue to pressure the team to change its nickname, but owners like Jack Kent Cooke and Daniel Snyder have stood their ground. The Redskins don't want to toy with tradition.

Maybe it's time for the NFL to step in. This is a league that already has moved and replaced the Cleveland Browns, allowed the Oakland Raiders to move to L.A. and back, and seen more uniform changes than a production of "Cats."

In the NFL, tradition is only a first down away.

There certainly was a time when our society could have gotten away with a nickname like the one for Washington's NFL team. But those times have changed.

"As a kid growing up, you never really thought about it," the Seahawks' Brown said. "I was exposed to Disney cartoons that kind of played up those stereotypes, so I really didn't give it much thought. But now I'm an adult, I can see it and have some perspective on it, so it's time to make a change."

Indeed it is. Maybe we can finally see that now.

Seahawks at Redskins

Kickoff: 10 a.m. Sunday

TV: Fox (Ch. 13)

Radio: KIRO (710 AM)

Stars to watch: Seahawks - QB Matt Hasselbeck has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 13 of his last 14 games. RB Shaun Alexander ran for a season-low 48 yards last Sunday. WR Darrell Jackson has 11 catches for 183 yards and a touchdown over the past two weeks. LB Chad Brown leads the team with four sacks, including two last week.

Redskins - WR Laveranues Coles ranks sixth in the NFC with 46 receptions. DE Bruce Smith needs two sacks to surpass Reggie White's NFL record for career sacks (198). LB LeVar Arrington leads the Redskins with 68 tackles. CB Champ Bailey has eight pass breakups and one interception.

Breaking down the game: It seemed a little bit like Groundhogs' Day around Kirkland this week.

A proud franchise is on a losing streak, desperately needing a win, and the Seahawks are their next foe. Seattle fought off a feisty Pittsburgh team last week, and should have its hands full again in D.C.

But the Redskins are overwhelmed with more internal problems than the Steelers were, ranging from a training room full of hobbled running backs to in-fighting on the coaching staff.

By comparison, the Seahawks' problems have to do with not winning games by wide enough margins.

One ongoing dilemma that could plague Seattle again this week is its road struggles. If the Seahawks can get over that hump, they should be in position to fight off another desperate team.

Pick: Seahawks, 31-17.

Injury report: Seahawks - DT Norman Hand (biceps) is doubtful. WR Koren Robinson (ankle) is questionable. LB Chad Brown (foot) and FS Ken Hamlin (foot) are probable. Redskins - C Larry Moore (foot) and RB Ladell Betts (arm) are doubtful. CB Rashad Bauman (ankle), RB Trung Canidate (ankle), DL Martin Chase (calf), S Todd Franz (ankle), DT Jermaine Haley (hand/shoulder), RB Sultan McCullough (hand) and RB Chad Morton (ankle) are questionable. LB LeVar Arrington (knee/hand), CB Champ Bailey (wrist/shoulder), QB Patrick Ramsey (finger/forearm), DE Bruce Smith (hand) and CB Fred Smoot (chest) are probable.

Little-known fact: The Seahawks are the only NFL team never to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated. (Is it possible to jinx a jinx before you're jinxed?)

Other NFL games

Tampa Bay (4-4) at Carolina (6-2), Sunday, 10 a.m.: Advice to Jon Gruden this week: Go for two. Had it not been for a blocked kick or two ... or three, the Bucs would have won the game in Tampa. As it stands now, they're in danger of seeing their chances of another division title evaporate. Pick: Buccaneers, 20-13.

Miami (5-3) at Tennessee (6-2), Sunday, 10 a.m.: This is supposed to be a defensive battle, but not with this year's units. Neither defense has been dominating, meaning a hot quarterback could be the difference. Uh, we'll take McNair over Griese in that matchup. Pick: Titans, 31-27.

Baltimore (5-3) at St. Louis (5-3), Sunday, 5:30 p.m.: If San Francisco's defense could shut down the Greatest Show on Turf, why not the Ravens? In a word, Martz. The Rams' head coach isn't as stubborn as he once was, and has learned to make offensive adjustments. Pick: Rams, 27-16.

This guy has his head up his a$$.

He can't even get his facts streight.

First, he listed a team called the "Fighting Honkies" when they are called the "Fighting Whiteys".:doh:

And then he says the Redskins name is only 36 years old. Last time I checked, it was like 70 years.:doh:

I hear the word "Fighting Whiteys" and I want to go hide and cry my eyes out. PLEASE.

He needs to pick up the SI article on what the Native Americans REALLY think of the Redskins name. 86% say they have no problem with it, and alot of them are fans of the Washington Redskins.

I guess he has nothing better to do, so he writes this garbage.:puke:

Ax, love that sig pic. It's deer season. BANG!!!

Truth is, guys, you can't stop people from being offended by the name.

But, I think the vast majority of our society doesn't care. I think they realize the "Redskin" name is very honorable and pride filled name.

If you ask people around the country what the word "Redskin" refers to, they'll say the football team. Not the racist slur.

All that matters is the courts stand behind the Redskins orginization. These protesters are old hippies that still haven't found jobs! They need to get a life, and a clue! The Redskins were named this to honor a former coach! This guy does need to get his facts straight!

• If you are offended, boycott the NFL. The 200 people in the world that would participate would have no effect.
  • I am offended by uber-sensitive morons. Does that mean this guy should be censored?
  • If the Vikings change their name to the Fighting Honkies when they move to LA, I will buy season tickets. That is a kickass name.

Being "offended" is such a soft, selfish, self-fellating phenomenon. "Oh, I'm so offended...coddle me, comfort me, someone hurt my feelings." I don't really get offended...and I think maybe it's because I'm not a huge p*ssy who wets himself whenever someone says something that's less than complimentary.

Originally posted by TK421Clicker

Moron needs to read this before trying to talk :pooh: about the name "Redskins". BTW, :wtf: is a "seahawk"?

That is a great article. I didn't know a real Indian Chief posed for the logo. Just goes to show that Native Americans are not offended, by the Redskin nickname.

It didn't say he posed for it. He asked for photos of some chiefs and he proposed it. If the book I read was correct, it said the Redskins "borrowed" their logo from the US Mint. Long story short...James Earle Fraser designed the Indian head nickel (buffalo nickel) based on a composite of three Native Americans from three different tribes (two of them fought under Sitting Bull at Little Big Horn). The buffalo was a live model as well (Black Diamond). The nickel and the logo are so close its not coincidental. If Wetzel suggested the idea and they used the nickel as the basis, it all makes sense to me. You don't always get a definitive explanation as to where or why a team has a nickname or logo.

Fine, be offended but stop saying the same thing the last guy said, and the last guy said, and the last guy said, and the last guy said. Catch my drift? One person said it and that was more than enough. Why does it have to be repeated over and over by different people who think they are creating some big idea about offensive names. Enough!! It's been beaten to death and the courts don't agree.

Hey, as much as it disgusts me, there are still white people who don't think black people should have the same rights. There are black and white people who don't think mexican/spanish people should have the same rights. And there are people in every race who look at Middle Eastern people here with a slanted head and an eye browsed raised. What is my point? Everyone has different prejudices and opinions on what is racist or a racial slur but it doesn't mean they are right.

Am I babbling? Probably. I'm exhausted. But this is getting wayyyyyy out of hand.

I shouldn't post when I'm just about asleep sitting up. Well, I don't know if this all made sense but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Good Night Gracie

Oh wait, did that offend anyone? :doh:

Archived