Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: #Redskins Training Camp Report August 5th (updated 5:00 PM)

HapHaszard

Good morning, I'm HapHaszard and I will be covering training camp today.  Its a beautiful day here in Richmond, so far its not  the sweltering heat that the last few days have been.  The team had the day off from practice yesterday so they should be rested and ready to go.  This morning is a walk thru and full pad practice will be in the afternoon around 3pm.  The team will be practicing against the Texans tomorrow starting early.

I will be tweeting off and on during practice and the pressers.  You can follow me on twitter @HapHaszard

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team has progressed from last year.  I've been reading that RGIII has improved and is getting better each practice.  I also want to see how Joe Barry is conducting his practices, what is different from last year.

Crowd is way smaller than last year, you can actually move around and get a better view.

Watching RGIII during walkthru's  from the shotgun, he appeared to be getting the ball out around the 2 second mark, one instance he had to slide to the left and dumped the ball off to Morris.  This  is with no pads and very little pressure but he still looked much crisper than I remember from last year.

He made a very nice pass around 25 yards to Ryan Grant, a couple of passes to Jackson.  Keeping in mind this was with really no real defensive backfield trying to prevent the plays he was still putting the ball where the defense would have had trouble defending.

Keenan Robinson had his presser, I'll update as soon as I can decipher my notes :)

Will HBO's hard knocks affect how you act?  No haven't thought about it, I come to work its work as usual, business as usual for me. Not trying to get any extra attention, just showing up for work and trying to improve.

When asked since he was in his contract year did he think about it?  He basically said a little but he was more trying to be the best player he can be and let his agent take care of that part.

On difference between Barry and Haslett, he stated Joe Barry brings a lot of energy, is younger and relates more to the younger players.  He is kind of more hip to everything that is going on now.

Challenges to working with a new defensive line, is just learning to communicate with those guys and learning how to get on one accord and one page.  So far it hasn't been much of a challenge because these guys listen well and are coachable.

On more cohesiveness on defense, he said we have a bunch of guys that are hungry to win, and some guys that have been on other teams that know how to win.

On difference between Redskins and other teams, related that when practiced with Patriots Tom Brady ran the practice the coaches sat back and watched. 

Difference between College and NFL training camps, in college went 21 days without a break, they are more careful with the players in the NFL, have more invested in the

I'll update on Gruden's presser after I get back from seeing  afternoon practice.

Running back drills:

2015-08-05_15.41.39.jpg

2015-08-05_15.42.02.jpg

The team was not wearing pads for the afternoon session.

For those who get excited Moses was working RT and Scherff was playing RG.

Interesting passing drill I didn't see used last year there were 4 6 foot cones representing defensive linemen the QB had to pass over the cones to a receiver, I guess the cones partially obstructed his vision the same as a linemen would have.

I did not see Knighton anywhere on the field, not sure what was with him possible a vet day off.

Ryan Grant had a good practice, today and seemed to be faster than I remember.

The Redskins signed 2 cornerbacks today,   CB Bryan McCann and  CB DreQuan Hoskey to make room for them they waived CB Tevin Mitchel and Safety  Phillip Thomas.

RGIII getting the ball out faster but not having the greatest day today not as accurate as this morning walk thru, guess its the difference in speed.

Intrigued with Moses. Hope he is staying lower in his blocks and not getting torched as bad.

I got a really good look at him in the two minute drill yesterday and he held his own against Paea. I thought the line looked great with the lineup they had. Moses has definitely improved.

Archived