Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haszard County: The official '15 OTA's/Camp Twitter thread, Duke & the Schreff, Boss Hog!

SWFLSkins

What can we expect from the '15 Redskins? What are the signs of improvement? We take a look in our latest blog post. http://thehogsty.com/expectationsfor2015.html 

Expectations for 2015

by Steve Thomas

Here we are, near the start of July, as close as the NFL comes to a dead zone – this is the only time of the year that the coaches take time off and the facilities are quiet. If you walk into any NFL team’s offices, much of the coaching and scouting offices are empty – many of these men taking advantage of the one true down time provided to them by a career choice that takes them from friends and families for practically every other moment in return for the promise of being a part of the country’s favorite sport at the highest level. The business offices of each team, of course, are still humming as the staffs continue to prepare for the upcoming season. No rest for the weary in that department.

Never did say I liked the Man Cave in fact I ripped the show on this same thread, was just talking about their degree of Redskins coverage.  As for the Cooley point -- I have points of view, and I get some people share them, some not.  I don't presume the ones who don't openly share my take and contradict it -- secretly agree with me or don't mean what they say.   Cooley didn't have to say squat about Russell's draft coverage but he went out of his way on one show to gush on it. 

You don't like Chris Russell, its cool.  I like his shows.  I know for a fact just based on comments from different threads over the years and twitter, some agree with me, some agree with you.  Neither position on either side of this is outlandish.  :)

Fair enough. I think if there was polling. He wouldn't have a net positive from the fanbase. Keim on the other hand, would have a very positive image via readers/listeners for his clear breakdowns without any snark.

I wonder how long management had been thinking of letting Russell walk.  If this was a 'couldn't come to an agreement' situation during negotiations, or they just weren't happy with his work, or was it something else.  Probably best for everybody though, cuz covering the team shouldn't be this much of a headache for one guy. 

I didn't have a problem with Russell's information, per se, he was just a little obnoxious.  And probably half of that was in response to the heat he received on a regular basis.  The other half was him sticking his foot in his mouth, re. DJax, Haslett, etc.

This fanbase will have to find somebody new to kick around, I guess.  Cuz it's always gotta be somebody.  La Canfora, Reid, Russell, we will find somebody covering the team to hate on.  lol  Russell wasn't the worst 980 beat guy they ever had though, cuz they've had some sketchy ones.  Hanrahan comes to mind. 

I don't think it was money. Remember the GM of the station quit after the Man Cave launch debacle.  He could have been a favorite of Chuck and whoever is running it now, simple wants better from their "insider".

As far as JLC, Reid, Russell, etc. There will always be those guys....and then the Maske's and like I said above....Keim's. Guys who can write about the bad times without rolling in like pigs in mud.

p.s. - Hanrahan is with CBS News Radio now. I thought he always sounds more "news" and less sportstalk.

On 980, their best guys are always the ones who keep the trains moving on time. The Scotts. Galdi...etc. I'm tried of the ex-player talking about a sport he didn't play. I don't want to hear Doc Walker talk about hockey or B-Mitch on Hoops. Cooley is great during the football season and his breakdowns. Maybe he'll improve elsewhere.

If the station is smart. They look for a female sportscaster locally or wherever to at least co-host a show. They talk about wanting more female listeners. That's where you start. Sportscenter does just fine with that.

If you did work for $60,000/year, but you realized that another big business in the same market was paying guys who had a less demanding job but very similar to yours were making $80,000/year, would you not be a little frustrated by that? Or would you just be happy that you're making way more than than most teachers. You can't really just see it as "Well you make millions so you can't complain". He makes millions because he has a talent that can make him millions. If he feels like in a market of others whose talent makes them millions, his particular employer's overseer is screwing them over, he has every right to complain.

You can only compare yourself to people in like circumstances to see if you're being treated fairly. Not everyone everywhere.

He's being treated more than fairly no matter how much people want to exaggerate the situation. He got a free college education and he makes six figures or above every year he plays in the NFL. Monetarily speaking, he has nothing to complain about. It makes it even worse when he barely played last year, made an outrageous amount of money and is still complaining.

If the station is smart. They look for a female sportscaster locally or wherever to at least co-host a show.

I'm tried of the ex-player talking about a sport he didn't play. I don't want to hear Doc Walker talk about hockey or B-Mitch on Hoops.

So the key is to find a female ex-NFL player. Got it. lol, just pickin'

Fair enough. I think if there was polling. He wouldn't have a net positive from the fanbase. Keim on the other hand, would have a very positive image via readers/listeners for his clear breakdowns without any snark.

As far as JLC, Reid, Russell, etc. There will always be those guys....and then the Maske's and like I said above....Keim's. Guys who can write about the bad times without rolling in like pigs in mud.

p.s. - Hanrahan is with CBS News Radio now. I thought he always sounds more "news" and less sportstalk.

On 980, their best guys are always the ones who keep the trains moving on time. The Scotts. Galdi...etc. I'm tried of the ex-player talking about a sport he didn't play. I don't want to hear Doc Walker talk about hockey or B-Mitch on Hoops. Cooley is great during the football season and his breakdowns. Maybe he'll improve elsewhere.

As far as Reid goes, I always thought people misunderstood what his role was. He shouldn't be in with those other guys because he wasn't doing the same job. His job was to be a provacateur, he wasn't writing about the team in the same way as Keim and Maske and guys like that because he wasn't supposed to. As a columnist, he was supposed to have strong opinions and give 'em and that's exactly what he did. Now, he maybe chose to be an extra jerk about it, granted.

But athletes talking about other sports is just part of the package. I like the balance, because otherwise you'll have somebody like Czaban mouthing off all day about stuff they know nothing about, like what goes on in a lockerroom or the mentality of a pro. At least a former pro athlete has some sense of what its like to be a pro athlete, even if it isn't their sport. But I will say, even they're on another sport, they tend to speak in clichés and regurgitate the same analysis everybody else is saying.

The good hosts who didn't play are very clear that they didn't. They facilitate the former athlete to talk about their experience with it.

Van Pelt being a good example...and Galdi locally. If you can speak with knowledge on situational states and not just what the box score says. Then you're already ahead. Otherwise, you'll have a Larry Michael talking about a 4th ranked D without a drop of irony that it was yards based and our offensive turnovers/special teams kept giving the other team a short field.

The Host, The Journalist. The Former Player/Coach and the Update Person. I feel like I just wrote a lyric to a classic Donovan song.

Look, I think Cooley should be the only color guy on gameday for Skins games. Loved ya, Sonny. But might be time to go. Walker on the sidelines with his nicknames. No thanks. Get a younger smarter play by play guy who doesn't sound like a used care salesman and you could have your radio team for the next 30+ years.

Not to mention, a rotation of shows depending on time of year would be nice depending on which leagues are going on. 

CSN Redskins @CSNRedskins 18s19 seconds ago

Best of the Best: Decide who advances between Art Monk and Larry Brown: http://ow.ly/P0a0o  #RedskinsTalk

CJAGlzLWcAE00Jb.jpg

Washington Redskins @Redskins 3m3 minutes ago

#Redskins @RGIII spoke at the @UN this week on preserving the oceans. MORE | http://redsk.in/1NDkS7U 

CJAGIPPUMAAxmsD.jpg

Lake Lewis Jr retweeted

Your thoughts on #Redskins QB competition: Cousins vs McCoy? Seems Cousins moved that ball up & down the field but... @SportsJourney #SJTalk

Redskins OL coach Bill Callahan: 'This is a great situation' http://es.pn/1CQG4Rl 

HumbleSkins retweeted Around The NFL

Or, better yet, DeSean could tone down the quote factor.....that last shot Marc Sessler clearly a Redskins hater....

HumbleSkins added,

CJAQwTyWsAA0ziu.jpg
Around The NFL @AroundTheNFL
DeSean Jackson actually not so "killer" vs. the NFC East http://at.nfl.com/wIA2Swo 

comments

Defender of the Burgundy and Gold

Geez bus If NFL.com isn't blowing the Cowboys skirts up, their trashing any Skins they can.

Washington Redskins @Redskins 3m3 minutes ago

Young #Redskins RBs vying for second role on offense. MORE | http://redsk.in/1UilnZo 

CJAhmgNVEAEx7mD.jpg

From earlier—Need to Know: Is play action a cure for #Redskins', RG3's problems? http://wp.me/pAil9-3Tj  #RedskinsTalk

CI8xsDpWgAAEqgZ.png

Chris Thompson @ChrisThompson_4 47m47 minutes ago

To some it might just be a picture on a wall but to be put up on a wall at FSU facilities with two of… https://instagram.com/p/4rqZFaA7JW/ 

Washington Redskins @redskinsbuzztap 49m49 minutes ago

http://nfl.com  >> DeSean Jackson actually less productive vs. NFC East http://buzztap.com/-Aggmj0 

Niles Paul @Niles_Paul84 51m51 minutes ago

New York the only place where 3 miles translates to 37 minutes on my GPS

Jeron Johnson @Jus_Showoff 55m55 minutes ago

Nephews came and got some work in wit me today!! jus_showoff_3 jus_showoff23 #WeGoneBeAlright https://instagram.com/p/4rp5EFmXiO/

11242008_437447386380341_394738572_a.jpg
11355996_1468659230112379_545979710_n.jp

Terrance Plummer @KnightBred_41 1h1 hour ago

Day 51 and I'm still Blessed

Oh I'm with you, but still different skill sets. He knew the situation before he got into it...if he didn't like the pay scale of football he should have tried basketball.

But how about this one..top R&D chemist for an industrial company makes less then a top R&D chemist for a pharmaceutical company....both are chemists, but different skill sets are required for both.

Get the comparison now?

Sure...but lets not forget the original crux of my point...you cant compare yourself to the general public and just say i make millions so i have no room to complain which was your original statement. I understand they are different skill sets but the industry is the same and consequently the only other models to look at for comparison are other professional sports leagues.

Sure...but lets not forget the original crux of my point...you cant compare yourself to the general public and just say i make millions so i have no room to complain which was your original statement. I understand they are different skill sets but the industry is the same and consequently the only other models to look at for comparison are other professional sports leagues.

I'm not. I think you are missing the point. I honestly never have heard the industrial chemist complain that the pharma chemist makes more...he is happy he had the job he has in the profession he is in and knows it's the nature of the business he is in. Sorry, you are quite wrong

I believe that events that impact a person negatively should never be slighted whether they are priveleged or poor. Every situation that produces us angst is relative to each person & their environment.

Certainly there are outliers that make one say..."wow...you've got to be kidding me." While those occurrences do prevail, there are many more instances that seem insignificant to us, yet manage to make others feel hopeless or slighted.

It's nice that you believe that people of privelege should be mocked, & ridiculed any time they dare to complain over their particular circumstance. I find that view shallow, hypocritical, & a substantial part of the problem with our society.

Washington Redskins @Redskins 44m44 minutes ago

Why that tie? Where's he looking? Shorts?? Analyzing @KirkCousins8's wedding photo | http://redsk.in/1Ujew21 

CJBYgicUcAAuAhY.jpg

Wow, Rush Limbaugh is a blowhard and a moron. In other news, the sky is blue and vegetables are healthy for you.

One thing is for sure what ever the media claims Rush Limbaugh said it is usually taken out of context or misquoted or an outright fabrication.  I don't listen to him often but he does seem to light up the liberals heat factor.

Archived