Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alright ES, is the dress blue and black or white and gold?

Springfield

why has this become popular? Was it a celebrity or a company's clothing that made this so popular?

I guess it's one of those things you're into or you're not.

Personally, I'm fascinated how two people can look at the same thing and see very different things- seeing colors that aren't there.

Optical illusions can be explained, but this thing doesn't seem to have a clear explanation.

why has this become popular?  Was it a celebrity or a company's clothing that made this so popular?

I think it's because it has made quite a few people question what they are actually seeing, their own reality if you like.

I'm a logical person and usually quite skeptical about things like this. When I was first shown the picture, it was clearly white and gold. About an hour later I looked again and it was black and blue. I reasoned that it was a different picture or someone had photo shopped it or something.

One of my colleagues decided to do a little experiment and got some of us to look at the same picture on the same screen at the same time. To me and two others it was black and blue, while four co-workers swore it was white and gold! It almost caused a fight with both sides saying the others were doing a practical joke, or were colour blind or stupid or lying. We eventually agreed to disagree.

It's easy to scoff at this, after all, it's just a dress right. But a lot of people seem to have experienced the same thing. I know that there is a logical, scientific explanation for it, but it's fascinating all the same. 

A lot of us spend a great deal of our lives staring at a computer screen, are there/have there been other things that can be observed so differently by different people at the same time?

O.K. I'll give you the black. That's why I mentioned " flat black ".

But I'm not seeing how anyone could perceive that as white.

I think people see white cuz they are compensating, seeing the pic as underexposed or thinking it's in the shade.

I see it as a black that has some type of reflective nature to it...therefore changing the appearance. However...I really just believe that the lace and the light that passed through to the blue...makes it look less black.

Seeing white though if baffling ? I never saw any white.

Archived