Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ALL Things HISTORY Thread

G.A.C.O.L.B.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to keep bumping this. No where else to post this and I'm sure a few people here would enjoy it...

Streaming on Netflix right now: "The Best of Enemies"

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/best_of_enemies_2015/

94% on rotten tomatoes. It's a documentary about William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal and it is goddamn fascinating. Went in expecting there to be some undercover story about how they secretly liked each other off the air. Nope. They ****ing hated each other. That said, still made history together and this is a great look at it.

I love that documentary. Very well done. Gore Vidal was a cool son of a ****. They don't make talking heads like those guys any more. The American public is far too stupid now for luminaries like them to achieve the kind of prominence today that they did in the 60's.

Wonder what Buckley would think about the contemptible ****show his Grand Old Party has become?

Also feels like the political conventions this summer are going to have a little bit of Chicago '68 in them. Particularly in Cleveland.

Always going to be a need for an organized conservative movement. I think today's version of the movement brain-drained itself and now it doesn't have the intelligentsia left to lead and buttress the movement with the kind of intellectual credibility necessary to expand the base.

tl;dr: The smart voices in the party are drowned out by the dumb ones and it's turned away new voters.

Archived