Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opinions On Micromanagement At Work.

DM72

I'd be tempted to provide exceedingly detailed minutes of my day. For example:

"8:50-8:52 Finished coffee, disposed of coffee cup in proper receptacle

8:53 Urinated, flushed, noted need for fresh urinal cakes in southeast men's room

8:54 Washed hands with antibacterial soap and hot water, dried hands thoroughly, noted antibacterial soap will need to be changed soon

8:55 Punched in, time card error, jiggled machine, punched in again, success

8:56-8:58 Walked to the supply closet.

8:59-9:01 Strategized with coworkers, divided tasks, updated colleagues on the status of the southeast men's room, got assigned cafeteria detail

9:02-9:03 Selected supply cart with functional wheels, filled mop bucket with approved floor cleaner and hot water

9:04 Added Fresh trash can liner

9:05 Gathered brooms, towels, sanitizers

9:06-9:07 Pushed supply cart to cafeteria

9:08-9:15 Swept cafeteria with broom

9:16 Checked a student's hall pass

9:17-9:22 Began mopping cafeteria with approved floor cleaner and hot water, taking near the heavy traffic area first, noted need for floor mats near doors

9:23-9:25 Conversed with the principle about hall passes.

9:26-9:40 Finished mopping cafeteria, changed mop water, gathered floor mats

. . .

2:30-5:30 Prepared notes on my day for micromanaging boss"

Not saying this is a good idea, just that I'd be tempted to do it. I'm sarcastic with morons.

First off, micromanagement is generally when your boss or supervisor wants to know every detail of your work day.

As of yesterday, me and my co-workers have been told to detail everything we do. Everything. Now I wasn't too familiar with micromanagement until I started looking it up online and for the most part it never works. It created a hostile work environment, distrust between supervisor and worker and for the most part, counter productive. Some even have said that it's a form of workplace bullying.

My supervisor personally, is a horrible supervisor as it was and I'm afraid that this will make him worse. The reason I say he's a bad supervisor is because he plays favorites and have very little experience in the job we do(janitorial).

So has/does anyone else have a micromanagement boss/supervisor and if so, how do you deal with it?

Don't start off the story with " First off," and the explanaition is on what micro management is not needed. PM me and I'll give you better wording to use.

My previous job involved dealing with a micromanaging boss.

We would meet every week and I would tell her what I worked on the previous week and what I had coming up. Was super annoying because I had a pretty basic entry level position where what I did, didn't change much on a day to day basis.

The worst is I would tell her that I wanted more work and wanted a bigger role. She wouldn't really ever give me more to work or on a bigger role. Just would tell me to ask my co-workers to see if they needed help with anything. So I would and they would have something every so often, but for the most part they were like me and had only so much to do throughout the day. So then my boss was get mad that I wasn't doing more. Um, hello, you're my boss. If you want them to give me stuff to do, tell them, you're their boss too. Would drive me insane. My co-workers didn't want to hand off tasks to me since then they would be in the same boat I was in and my boss didn't do anything to have them give me more tasks. It was a disaster and I was extremely happy to get away from it all.

This was after I had a boss that was laid back and basically I only interacted with on a business level if there was a problem. It's hard to go from a hands off boss to one that wanted to know every little thing I was constantly doing.

My previous job involved dealing with a micromanaging boss.

We would meet every week and I would tell her what I worked on the previous week and what I had coming up. Was super annoying because I had a pretty basic entry level position where what I did, didn't change much on a day to day basis.

The worst is I would tell her that I wanted more work and wanted a bigger role. She wouldn't really ever give me more to work or on a bigger role. Just would tell me to ask my co-workers to see if they needed help with anything. So I would and they would have something every so often, but for the most part they were like me and had only so much to do throughout the day. So then my boss was get mad that I wasn't doing more. Um, hello, you're my boss. If you want them to give me stuff to do, tell them, you're their boss too. Would drive me insane. My co-workers didn't want to hand off tasks to me since then they would be in the same boat I was in and my boss didn't do anything to have them give me more tasks. It was a disaster and I was extremely happy to get away from it all.

This was after I had a boss that was laid back and basically I only interacted with on a business level if there was a problem. It's hard to go from a hands off boss to one that wanted to know every little thing I was constantly doing.

That explains my job to a T. You're the boss, tell me exactly what you want and it will get done.

That explains my job to a T. You're the boss, tell me exactly what you want and it will get done.

Exactly. I don't always need constant direction, but when I ask you for more work, you as the boss should give me more work. Not have me bug my co-workers every day to give me something to do.

Good point.

Good point, bad advice.

I would say, well you take the rest of the day off and think about where you went wrong there.

See you tomorrow.

Insubordination is a termination waiting to happen.

Do the stamps go in the upper left or bottom right? I could never remember

Upper right. But honestly I am pretty sure it doesn't matter at all, as long as it is one there.

I've always been in blue collar work too, and my saving graces are good time management, organization (keeping things in their "home"), and working smarter instead of harder. In your field, I know these are important, and you've got all that down.
That being said, this may be a money/supply issue? If so, my answer would be "Hey, I gotta have what I gotta have to do the job."...just like I say every frickin' day at my job (doggy daycare, scoopin' poop & such, LOL).

I NEED A MOP WRINGER! :angry:  :angry: :angry:  

Win-Win.

I used to always buy things for the business and they would agree that it was needed.

I would get my money back most of the time, when other operators or my boss would come in they would question where or how I acquired certain things...it was always a good sign.

;)

I'm a teacher and in general, we are left alone. However, one of the worst things they tend to do in the school system is that when a few teachers screw up or don't do what they are supposed to and as a result, the admin comes down on everyone rather than just the few that need it.  I do what I'm supposed to and get great results. I just want to be left alone.  The admin over me does leave me alone and I appreciate that. But, I hear horror stories from other teachers.

Personally, I`ve always found it ironic that management hires people for a specific job.... and then asks them to tell them what the hell they hired them to do.

I would have said "absurd", but I agree overall.

Where have you been hiding out man ? You are leaving me and a very few others as the only "keep it real" type of guys around.

code, that is something I will never understand.

Sure, address the problem as a team but in my mind, you hold those at fault accountable.

Exactly, you are punishing people because others don't do their job.  In sports, this is a pretty common practice as punishment, but, in sports, the other teammates can get on the ones acting up.  I don't have contact with the other teachers that are screwing up and we are in a professional environment. It's not my place to correct them.

I would have said "absurd", but I agree overall.

Where have you been hiding out man ? You are leaving me and a very few others as the only "keep it real" type of guys around.

Life is all about change :-D I`ve been in school (2 more years left), my practice is keeping me busy, I`m opening up a clinic in 2 weeks, been on a journey of self-discovery.... and I have a wife and 2 kids.

I read ES... mainly scan the threads and open a few that interest me... just to pass some time. But for the most part, the Redskins don`t really add any joy into my life.... and until they do, I`ve decided to cut them out. Life is too short.

Im a construction engineer and am left alone 99% of the time and none of my bosses give a rats ass at all. I'm youngish in my career and still need some direction with major problems and never get a response. In fact it's the complete opposite of the op. In the winter when no construction is going on I'm stuck in t he office and have to ask for work from my bosses. Thier response is read the Internet. I don't want micro management but some direction would be nice.

I've dealt with micro managers in just about every job I've ever had. They're everywhere.  :P  Even had one I worked with in the construction world. True story. This guy would tell you you'd be cut man for whatever,then tell you that you needed to get a saw and.....yep... a cord.  I eventually broke him of that,but it took a long time to do it. 

Thanks for the advice to everyone. Just to make it clear, I'm a blue collar worker. I'm a custodian/janitor for county gov.

I would follow his instructions to the letter, but not to the spirit, and look for a chance to throw him under the bus when something goes wrong.

You know it is important to get a specific task done, but he wants you to work on something else - Work on something else and when asked, let them know that your manager directed you to do that, and he does not allow you to function independently without his specific instruction etc. In other words: I couldn't do the important stuff because he has me doing make do work and he won't allow me to discuss it with him etc.

If he wants you to document everything you do, do it, and make sure it cuts into the time you should be using to do more productive things, and again when asked why this didn't get done let them know your filling out TSP reports for your boss is cutting into your times to work.

But only if what he is doing is actually outside of the norm or standard policy.

DO not break any rules, do not show disrespect, go out of the way to show you want to do the job and can do the job when he is not interfering. You have to wait for your chances, and be smart about it, but you will get your chances.

Document any abuse from him, or retaliation.

We did this with one Sup in the Navy and it worked very effectively.

Archived